Broken chimney flex liner advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hudson63

Apr 19, 2015
duluth mn
So long story short I just bought a home with a wood furnace in the basement. Due to a lazy home inspector I was unaware that the clay liner in the chimney is cracked and broken until I started to clean and inspect myself. So I now need to install a stainless steel flex liner. My chimney is roughly 11x6 3/4. Based on the instructions on the website the t adaptor that goes on the bottom needs an additional 1/2 inch of clearance. Given that and the fact some tiles are caved in at least 1/4 inch on each side I figure the biggest flex liner I can fit is 5.5 inch. Problem is the inside diameter of the exhaust in my stove is 6.5 inch. So my question is can I reduce the exhaust on the stove to 5.5 inch and use the 5.5 inch liner with no I'll effects? Any expierence with a similar issue would be helpful

So my question is can I reduce the exhaust on the stove to 5.5 inch and use the 5.5 inch liner with no I'll effects? Any expierence with a similar issue would be helpful
Nope You will either need to break out those old tiles or go with an ovalized liner. I would break out and use an insulated liner for sure. Also I have yet to see any home inspector who said anything about the interior of a chimney other than get it checked by a pro.

Reactions: JA600L
So if I smash them out. A does that make it less safe? B how do you break them all the way down? And c how do you remove the big chunks once broken?

So I'm guessing you just have to bust it small enough to take it out the ash clean out? And what type of insulation do you use to dump around it?

So I'm guessing you just have to bust it small enough to take it out the ash clean out? And what type of insulation do you use to dump around it?
the insulation wraps around the liner and it all goes in at once
Well yes it can be wrapped but there are also products that you mix with water and pour around the liner. They are a mix of cement and vermiculite or perlite. But it takes experience to be able to keep the liner centered so you get even insulation it is not very diy friendly.

So the tiles are out and the liner is ordered. I do plan on using the vermiculite insulation. Obviously there is a clean out cap on this liner t connection. But I have no way to access it once inside the chimney. So I'm thinking I probably just need to secure the cap prior to insulating. Then to clean out I will have to disconnect the pipe between my stove and chimney and vaccum the t out with a shop vac. Anyone see an issue with this?

Anyone see an issue with this?
Nope that is how it is done unless you have a clean out. Then get a second tee and extend the liner down to that clean out.

I do have a clean out but I think the way I'm set up it would almost be easier to close it off and clean out front he connection point

I do have a clean out but I think the way I'm set up it would almost be easier to close it off and clean out front he connection point
That is up to you. I would always prefer to have a clean out though

Status
Not open for further replies.