broken splitter handle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Charles2

Feeling the Heat
Jun 22, 2014
GA
I stack my wood as high as I can reach, about 8 feet. If I don't stack carefully, the pile sometimes collapses onto whatever is nearby, like my Grizzly splitter shown below.
broken splitter handle.jpg
splitter handle.jpg

Grizzly does not offer a replacement handle, so I'm wondering how to fix this. Should I attempt to glue the plastic back together? Or is there another kind of handle that I could replace with? It's OK if the replacement doesn't match the remaining handle.

Today's 2 part epoxies are pretty impressive. I would try that first. If it fails then you can go down the path of a replacement handle. (Also pretty easy).
Note: get the long cure time epoxy, it will be the strongest.

Reactions: Charles2
It's important to always stack tall stacks carefully. You don't want that 8 ft stack falling on you!

A piece of All thread through the piece of handle would hold the handle to the splitter.

Reactions: Jags and Charles2
Today's 2 part epoxies are pretty impressive. I would try that first. If it fails then you can go down the path of a replacement handle. (Also pretty easy).
Note: get the long cure time epoxy, it will be the strongest.
Is epoxy good for plastic? What's your easy source for replacement handles?
It's important to always stack tall stacks carefully. You don't want that 8 ft stack falling on you!
Or anybody else! Some shifting of the pile is expected as it dries and shrinks. Mostly what I've learned is not to include irregular pieces.

It happened to me once. I jumped out of the way just in time. Now I tilt the stacks slightly to the rear of the shed and that has fixed it.

Reactions: Charles2
Yes two part epoxy is good for plastic. As far as an easy replacement handle a long bolt or piece of all thread a couple of washers and a pipe slid over it would work or me personally I would walk over to the lathe and turn a new one

Reactions: hobbyheater
One would think the mfg would have run a bolt or threaded hardened rod all or most of the way the way through the handles.