Buck Stove 81 window blackening

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bobbob

Burning Hunk
Jan 13, 2022
Transfer PA
I have a one year old Buck model 81 and the left side of the window glass was constantly getting dirty. My wood is dry and I burn fairly hot fires. Took me awhile to solve this issue. Finally figured out that the air wash baffle was practically touching the glass on the left side of the door because the door fits tighter to the stove on that side. I have seen people posting of this same issue in the past but can no longer post on that thread. The solution that worked for me was to file back the baffle until the gap from the baffle to the glass was the same on the left side as the right. I'm guessing about 1/16 inch is what I filed off. Works great now with no discoloration

Reactions: Wildbil and begreen
Nice tip! If you folks can post a quickee review in the Ratings section, that will help the next person looking for a Buck.

I have seen this mentioned before as well, and I think it was not a Buck then.
Seems to be an issue that occurs every now and then. Good solution indeed.

That sounds like our October weather. Come Nov. 1st someone flipped the winter switch. We skipped autumn completely.

I have a one year old Buck model 81 and the left side of the window glass was constantly getting dirty. My wood is dry and I burn fairly hot fires. Took me awhile to solve this issue. Finally figured out that the air wash baffle was practically touching the glass on the left side of the door because the door fits tighter to the stove on that side. I have seen people posting of this same issue in the past but can no longer post on that thread. The solution that worked for me was to file back the baffle until the gap from the baffle to the glass was the same on the left side as the right. I'm guessing about 1/16 inch is what I filed off. Works great now with no discoloration
This is my first season with the Buck 81 and I've noticed the same thing. Not sure exactly what the airwash baffle is ? Do you have a picture? I must admit that I haven't looked on the inside of the stove to familiarize myself with it as I probably should..I appreciate you input!

This is my first season with the Buck 81 and I've noticed the same thing. Not sure exactly what the airwash baffle is ? Do you have a picture? I must admit that I haven't looked on the inside of the stove to familiarize myself with it as I probably should..I appreciate you input!
It's the flat metal lip running from one side to the other right behind the glass at the top of your door opening. I can get you a picture later when I'm home if you still need one

I think I know what your talking about, it's the metal lip I'm always burning my arm on when I fill the stove! If you wanted to post a picture, I'd appreciate it! Thanks!

I think I know what your talking about, it's the metal lip I'm always burning my arm on when I fill the stove! If you wanted to post a picture, I'd appreciate it! Thanks!
This is it. You may still be able to see where I filed some of the edge back. The door seems to fit tighter on the side with the hinges which puts the glass to close to the air wash baffle which diminishes the air flow to clean the glass there

20240226_194755.jpg

Reactions: Wildbil
This is it. You may still be able to see where I filed some of the edge back. The door seems to fit tighter on the side with the hinges which puts the glass to close to the air wash baffle which diminishes the air flow to clean the glass there

View attachment 325223
That's the one I thought you was speaking about..... Thanks for the picture! I don't have a fire as of today ( morning temps in the low 40's expected high 59) So when I get home I'll do this. Thanks foe the idea! :cool:

Reactions: Bobbob
That's the one I thought you was speaking about..... Thanks for the picture! I don't have a fire as of today ( morning temps in the low 40's expected high 59) So when I get home I'll do this. Thanks foe the idea! :cool:
Might have to file a little bit off and check it out. Keep on filing until your good. Took me about 3 attempts until enough was removed

Reactions: Wildbil