Burning Boxwood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rosko512

Hearth Supporter
Dec 6, 2007
Ohio
I was wondering if anyone in the forum has in the past or currently burning Boxwood? I've just finished splitting and stacking one of those free trees the city fell and seems like this wood really holds the moisture(free wood is a good thing). Im curious to see as to how long it should sit before use. The plan is if possible is to use it late next year if the mositure content is right by then. Id like to hear your thoughts if there are any...lol...

Pics are uploaded.

Attachments

• IMG_0724c.jpg
    IMG_0724c.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 599
  • IMG_0725c.jpg
    IMG_0725c.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 409
By "Boxwood" are you referring to box elder? Excuse my ignorance if this not the case. Assuming that we are talking about box elder and the weather in ohio, I would venture to say 12 mo. of seasoning is in order (cut, split, stacked). Box elder has high moisture content that must be dealt with. Once the wood has properly seasoned, it will be MUCH lighter than it is now, yielding in a quick, high heat type of burn (similar in nature to pine).

This would typically be listed in the "lesser" wood category, but can be good for quick startups, and times when full heat output is not required. Free is free and seasoned box elder burns fine, just fast.

Note: split and stack a.s.a.p. This stuff does not weather well in whole form. It will get punky or "fluffy" :p in pretty short order.

Edit: Oh, and welcome to the forum.

"boxwood" is the low growing shrub with the small, shiney leaflets. Probably "box elder", which, if I am correct, is much like buckeye and it will rot in a matter of months if not kept dry. As mentioned, a good wood to get those fires started...

Hmmmmm... Maybe im mistaken in the species of tree. At first I thought it was some type of Maple (because of bark and grain structure), but the center of the splits are almost a golden color which threw me. Hell, I almost mistook a Walnut pallet for an Oak one (thinkin its time for glasses)! Anyways, my intention was to have it for late next year and it's all split in a pile (in the garage...lol). I will try to post a pic tomorrow and see if someone can point me in the right direction.

The Box Elder I have has a creamy white wood with streaks of red through it. It is in the Maple family also called Manitoba Maple. Burns about the same as Silver Maple. Good for starting fires and those not so cold days.

yea i got about a cord of boxelder to burn next season, it's split, covered, and drying right now....it's unmistakable in telling what it is, has that pink to red center to it, when you cut a big chunk it's got a star pattern, splits real easy, lightweight when dry, burns fast, but free is good yes?

According to the newly posted pics, it doesn't appear to be box elder, at least not any that I have seen. I am not a real good tree identifier guy, but it looks more in the red maple category. I will let the pro's jump in here.

Looks to me like mullberry. burn it next year.

It doesn't look like the box-elder around here either. Get it out into the sun and free-flowing air to dry it and burn it next year......free heat!

I also am in the process of splitting this very wood. My father in law says it's sassafras(sp). Doesn't smell like the root used for tea. Terrible (stringy) to split.

Ozzy,

This wood was not too difficult to split (multiple smacks with the maul for the 20"-24" logs) and not stringy. If you look at the grain structure it looks like its from the maple family (maybe red maple as someone posted earlier). Still have not confirmed the type of wood but its all stacked up waiting for next year.... Hopefully by then i'll know what i'm burning..lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.