Burning Wood On Halloween

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidV

Nov 20, 2005
Richmond VA
It's a little after midnight and I'm sitting in the ront yard on the same Adirondack chair as last year tending to the burn barrel as it burns down. Another successful halloween Hootinany.
We have been doing this now for 4 years and it has gotten to the point that our neighbors expect and lok forward to it. Just sitting around the burn barrel drinking some wine or beer and watching the kids come up in their costumes. The neighbors have all gone home and my wife has gone to bed. Im letting the coals burn down a bit before I douse them with water and stir them to make sure it's out.. it's cool but not cold. just under 50 degrees right now. I can hear the deer moving in the woods around me and a dog barking in the distance. A very small dog.
I love this. burning wood in a redneck burn barrel in a modern neighborhood (we have large lots...1 acre is about the smallest) sitting around with friends drinking some wine...connecting the past with the present. sitting aorund the fire.....but in a more civaized manner. I'm close to dousing the coals....I'm ready to sleep. But the cold and warmth mixing ...the crisp night air and wood smoke. We work our lives away and seldom do we take moments like th is to just have. a couple years ago we saw a large meteor on Halloween night. This year we all talked about it and then about 11 oclock we saw a very small one. I immedeately said "make a wish" and my wife did.....and I am certain I know whas she wished for And that, I think, is the coolest thing about tonight. Hope everyone else enjoyed the little gouls. Good night, Be safe.

Sounds like a nice night. Mine was too, but indoors. The kids made the rounds with friends and came back with the parents for a few drinks around the stove. Shut off all the lights while the secondary "ghost flames" poofed up out of nowhere and licked around the edges of the glass.
Got to know a few friends much better - they hung around for hours. Never would have happened withou the Oakwood going!

DavidV said:
It's a little after midnight and I'm sitting in the ront yard on the same Adirondack chair as last year tending to the burn barrel as it burns down. Another successful halloween Hootinany.
We have been doing this now for 4 years and it has gotten to the point that our neighbors expect and lok forward to it. Just sitting around the burn barrel drinking some wine or beer and watching the kids come up in their costumes. The neighbors have all gone home and my wife has gone to bed. Im letting the coals burn down a bit before I douse them with water and stir them to make sure it's out.. it's cool but not cold. just under 50 degrees right now. I can hear the deer moving in the woods around me and a dog barking in the distance. A very small dog.
I love this. burning wood in a redneck burn barrel in a modern neighborhood (we have large lots...1 acre is about the smallest) sitting around with friends drinking some wine...connecting the past with the present. sitting aorund the fire.....but in a more civaized manner. I'm close to dousing the coals....I'm ready to sleep. But the cold and warmth mixing ...the crisp night air and wood smoke. We work our lives away and seldom do we take moments like th is to just have. a couple years ago we saw a large meteor on Halloween night. This year we all talked about it and then about 11 oclock we saw a very small one. I immedeately said "make a wish" and my wife did.....and I am certain I know whas she wished for And that, I think, is the coolest thing about tonight. Hope everyone else enjoyed the little gouls. Good night, Be safe.

Very well written. You should write a book with a Christmas theme.......call it "The Christmas Wood stove" it'll sell a million copies!

Status
Not open for further replies.