Buying new stove / Every dealer tells me their stove is the best on the market. Lol

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I’m heating 1600 square feet. Raised ranch. 22 foot masonry chimney with 8inch clay tiles. Had a camera run through the chimney and was told it looked great and I didn’t need a liner (although I may install one anyway at your suggestions).

Any of your stove choices will be mucho more happy if you line the chimney. Keep researching stoves. Particularly Blaze King and Woodstock offerings are worth looking into according to there current users_g

I love my princess and after using it for 4 seasons its been nothing but great, although if I were stove shopping I'd prob take a very close look at the woodstove progress hybrid (yes I know I talked smack about hybrids) but this one seems awesome to me, shaker grate ash collection, soapstone for smooth heat, plus up to 80,000 btu an hour. Only hold back is no blower system, but I'm sure i'd figure something out with moving air to the stove.
http://www.woodstove.com/?gclid=Cjw...Vwz5haMGiOTa4BftkASh-1q6ldgY-tjRoCKiUQAvD_BwE

I love my princess and after using it for 4 seasons its been nothing but great, although if I were stove shopping I'd prob take a very close look at the woodstove progress hybrid (yes I know I talked smack about hybrids) but this one seems awesome to me, shaker grate ash collection, soapstone for smooth heat, plus up to 80,000 btu an hour. Only hold back is no blower system, but I'm sure i'd figure something out with moving air to the stove.
http://www.woodstove.com/?gclid=Cjw...Vwz5haMGiOTa4BftkASh-1q6ldgY-tjRoCKiUQAvD_BwE

"Woodstock Progress Hybrid" I do believe::P A proper consideration as Kenny suggests! Also have a look at Woodstock's Ideal Steel and Absolute Steel models. Lots of happy users of both if you do some searching. Have fun!

If you have a 8 inch chimney consider the blaze king, king instead of the princess

Screw the dealers then...go factory direct... Woodstock soapstone cat stove...they (Woodstock) have a 6 month love it or leave it garantee too...

It seems to me that bedroom 1 is always going to be cold just because its located over an unheated garage. I don't see a new stove fixing that. A small electric heater would warm it easily. As a pretty new Blaze King owner I'm pretty amazed at its ability to hold a constant temp for hours and hours. My cabin will stay around 74 plus or minus a couple degrees for 14 to 18 hours. We add wood about every 12 hours, don't stuff it full. Its almost like heating with a furnace the temp is so stable.

It seems to me that bedroom 1 is always going to be cold just because its located over an unheated garage. I don't see a new stove fixing that. A small electric heater would warm it easily. As a pretty new Blaze King owner I'm pretty amazed at its ability to hold a constant temp for hours and hours. My cabin will stay around 74 plus or minus a couple degrees for 14 to 18 hours. We add wood about every 12 hours, don't stuff it full. Its almost like heating with a furnace the temp is so stable.

This is what I’ve read about the blaze kings and why I’m leaning in that direction. I’d be thrilled to have to load the stove just 2 times a day. My current stove gets fully packed at least 4 times a day so I’ll definitely use a lot less wood.

With our current weather I'm only loading twice a day and getting 14hr burn times.

You have 28 hr days over there?! !!! ;) ==c
Lol no, I just keep staggering my loading times. I'll have to readjust come Wednesday morning when I go back to work.

Reactions: brenndatomu
With our current weather I'm only loading twice a day and getting 14hr burn times.
Only 14 hours geez last week wife filled the king up and left the cabin I went up 2 1/2 days 60 hours later was going to clean the ashes out and stove still had a few coals. Probably could have added some kindling and got it going but had been burning non stop for a month and wanted to clean it out. Admittedly the stove wasn’t putting out any heat but was still slightly warm.

Another Sussex County, NJ resident here. And a very happy BK Ashford 30 owner. Also very happy with the service and support from my local BK dealer (ABC Chimney in Branchville, NJ). If you haven't called them for a price while you're making decisions, I would reach out. Like you, I had a short list of stoves and they were great at respecting that and not trying upsells/swaps/etc, which i appreciated.

Another Sussex County, NJ resident here. And a very happy BK Ashford 30 owner. Also very happy with the service and support from my local BK dealer (ABC Chimney in Branchville, NJ). If you haven't called them for a price while you're making decisions, I would reach out. Like you, I had a short list of stoves and they were great at respecting that and not trying upsells/swaps/etc, which i appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: Ryan723
I have a question regarding the 2 pictures below. The recommendations for the vertical rise to the horizontal flue pipe for the BK Ashford 30 are 2ft minimum (3ft recommended) but as you can see from the other picture of my stove that there is only about 16 inches from the top of my current stove to the horizontal pipe. So is the BK Ashford 30 not an option for me anymore? I’d hate to install a stove not to the mfg specs and have a warranty issue because of it.

B60A7547-BE87-4FCA-BEBF-781808663EA4.jpeg

37A25619-12DA-4F51-B15B-FF14CE3FD1F5.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a question regarding the 2 pictures below. The clearance recommendations to the horizontal flue pipe for the BK Ashford 30 are 2ft minimum (3ft recommended) but as you can see from the other picture of my stove that there is only about 16 inches from the top of my current stove to the horizontal pipe. So is the BK Ashford 30 not an option for me anymore? I’d hate to install a stove not to the mfg specs and have a warranty issue because of it.

View attachment 237203

View attachment 237215
I will say, based on the recommendation you can have issues but it is hard to tell. Most of newer stoves share similarities on flue setup recommendations. I know, it is an expensive trial and error.
Maybe someone has a similar setup as yours and can give you better input.

Dave. I see you have an 8 inch flue. It was recommended to me by several dealers and one called blaze king to confirm, to not reduce the 8 inch down to 6 inch for the Ashford or princess. Reasoning was that since the flue is not that hot when it expands into the 8 inch it would cool further. So I ended up with a King. You might want to check into it with your dealer.

Dave. I see you have an 8 inch flue. It was recommended to me by several dealers and one called blaze king to confirm, to not reduce the 8 inch down to 6 inch for the Ashford or princess. Reasoning was that since the flue is not that hot when it expands into the 8 inch it would cool further. So I ended up with a King. You might want to check into it with your dealer.

Thanks, I will definitely ask him about that.

Although the King uses 8" it also needs 3' of vertical pipe before going horizontal. A consideration in Dave K's setup.