bypass damper ajar when closed? Fireview

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

vap0rtranz

Feb 22, 2020
Wisconsin
Folks,

I've started the restoration of the Fireview 205 that I posted about earlier and noticed that the bypass damper is ajar even when its handle reads "0" (closed). Is this normal for Fireview or Woodstock?

The damper lip measures about 1/4" open from the combuster pan. In the "Open" position, the damper lip is about 1-1/2" away from the pan. Pics attached looking from the flu collar in the back.

I didn't even notice this when buying the stove because the stovepipe was attached and you really cannot tell from looking at the damper from up top.

Attachments

• IMG_20200320_140728_7.jpg
    IMG_20200320_140728_7.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_20200320_140714_9.jpg
    IMG_20200320_140714_9.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_20200320_143753_3.jpg
    IMG_20200320_143753_3.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 140
Well, looks like Woodstock answered my question already with this video:

I've called and emailed Woodstock about other stuff, and now this video they made that looks like I need to adjust the U-bolt of the damper lift -- very impressed with Woodstock's customer service.

Reactions: begreen
I'd probably remove the bypass door, replace the gasket, then adjust the door. Get their gasket kit..has all the right sizes and densities. I don't even mess with aftermarket gaskets anymore.

I see the damage to the face of the cat that you mentioned in the other thread. The cast iron cat housing doesn't look warped, from what I can see. You can try it, but I'm guessing it's pretty old, probably spent, and may not light off very easily or stay lit very long. You could just replace it with another ceramic cat from firecatcombustors.com. I recently reverted my Keystone back to the original cast iron scoop and cast iron cat housing, and put a new ceramic cat in. I ran some steel cats from Woodstock before that, with the stainless scoop/screen, but felt like switching back this time. I'm hoping for a bit longer life out of the ceramic, but we'll see...

I ran some steel cats from Woodstock before that, with the stainless scoop/screen, but felt like switching back this time. I'm hoping for a bit longer life out of the ceramic, but we'll see...

Woodstock support suggested I get the updated steel cat so that is already on a UPS truck for delivery, along with their gasket kit. (Assuming the postal service is an "essential service" ... more and more things keep shutting down from this virus fiasco.)

But yea, I'd thought of keeping everything else cast iron.

Where did you find a ceramic cat that fits? I found one source on eBay that fits the Fireview ...

EDIT: I missed your recommendation of FireCat. I may just order a 2nd replacement cat as ceramic despite Woodstock only carrying steel now ... it's not like they go bad :)

Since you've got a steelie coming, I'd go ahead and get the stainless combustor scoop as well. The screen catches a lot of dust, which builds up on the steelie faster than the ceramic with the larger cells. You have to remove a couple of brackets, and substitute a couple of studs to hold the stainless scoop, but it's no big deal. Most of the bolts come out easy but if one seems tight, be safe and squirt a little penetrant on it for a while..

I'll keep an eye on the cat b/c I don't want to change out the scoop.

BTW, b/c you have the Keystone -- Woodstock is re-testing all these stoves for EPA 2020: http://blog.woodstove.com/2020/02/exceeding-2020-epa-standards-since-1995.html

Their blog ^claims the Fireview 205 met the 2020 requirements. "In January 2020, the Fireview passed the 2020 EPA Standard, using cordwood, with an emissions rate of 1.12 gm/hr."

And sounds like they expect the Keystone to pass as well. But the model # for the Fireview is still 205, so what did they change to meet the new standard? Just switching from cribwood to cordwood? Or is the new stainless steel catalyst actually more efficient?

I'll keep an eye on the cat b/c I don't want to change out the scoop.
But the model # for the Fireview is still 205, so what did they change to meet the new standard? Just switching from cribwood to cordwood? Or is the new stainless steel catalyst actually more efficient?
The stainless cat and scoop came out almost ten years ago. There was some talk that they might come out with a hybrid Fireview, but haven't as yet, as far as I know. They apparently just re-tested with cord wood, though it would no doubt pass 2.0g/hr. with crib wood also.
Yeah, I'm liking this new ceramic. She's tossing great heat. ==c