Can I fit a stove or is it an insert for me?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wasatch

Nov 11, 2011
Salt Lake City, Utah
I have decided to take the plunge and go from a standard wood burning fireplace to a more efficient insert or stove. I live in a tri level 1600 sqft home and the fireplace is in the basement. I would like to be able to fit a wood stove in my fireplace but i think it is to small. The dimensions of the fireplace are 30 1/2 W 26 H and 29 D. I am not looking to heat exclusively with wood just help heat the 800 sq ft basement and lower my gas bill. I like the englander 13NCI and possibly any small stove under $1000. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 391
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 373
You'll probably be better off with a small insert. You may have a clearance to combustibles issue with the wood panelling either side of the FP. How wide is the brick on the sides? Check out the Drolet and Century inserts at Northern Tool.

Wasatch said:
I have decided to take the plunge and go from a standard wood burning fireplace to a more efficient insert or stove. I live in a tri level 1600 sqft home and the fireplace is in the basement. I would like to be able to fit a wood stove in my fireplace but i think it is to small. The dimensions of the fireplace are 30 1/2 W 26 H and 29 D. I am not looking to heat exclusively with wood just help heat the 800 sq ft basement and lower my gas bill. I like the englander 13NCI and possibly any small stove under $1000. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

With your price point the 13NCI is the best solution.

An Encore would fit since the height and rear venting would work. But it is far more expensive.

Being a fireplace I dont think clearance will be an issue. But that white paint with a surround? I dunno about that. May get black around the edges.

Thanks for the replys, the brick on the sides measure 15" I was wondering if that is safe. Also there is a caped off gas pipe from a previous insert just passed the brick. Not sure if that will be an issue as well. The fireplace was unfortunatley painted when i bought the house I am thinking of tiling over or trying to strip the paint.

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 349
I wouldnt worry bout the paint too much insert surrounds are pretty tight nowadays. I was being pessimistic is all. Just lookin out for ya.

Do not reface until after the insert is in. Ask me how I know this >:-(

Wasatch said:
Thanks for the replys, the brick on the sides measure 15" I was wondering if that is safe. Also there is a caped off gas pipe from a previous insert just passed the brick. Not sure if that will be an issue as well. The fireplace was unfortunatley painted when i bought the house I am thinking of tiling over or trying to strip the paint.

I don't see any obstacles so far. It looks safe. The gas pipe is fine, it's around the corner and shielded by the brick.

I just installed my Encore with a rear outlet and it is right on the 26"H dimension to the top of the stove pipe. Do they make a shorter leg? I do not know.

Actually, if you went Encore, you could remove one or two courses of brick from your current hearth, put a piece of slate or granite down for a hearth and you could easily fit a stove.

Jackfre said:
I just installed my Encore with a rear outlet and it is right on the 26"H dimension to the top of the stove pipe. Do they make a shorter leg? I do not know.
I dont know if they do or not but I used a band saw to cut mine and it worked out fine and looks factory. If I ever need longer legs I will deal with that then.

Status
Not open for further replies.