Cancelled my stove and switched to J.A. Roby Sirius

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

clancey

Minister of Fire
Feb 26, 2021
Colorado
Well my installer was here and we walked the work area and I can choose up to three or four places to place the stove and the tile work as well. I asked him if I could have a connection that I would have to go into the main part of the house from the porch and he said "No" just open up the windows and door and the heat will automatically go into the house. He talked about : Double walled DVL 6 inches then some kind of a box that has to be placed before my carpenter encloses the porch and insulates it. Then something about a Class A chimney roof flashing and a storm collar and Roof Bracing and a High Wind Cap and on top of all this "Greek" to me -----lol lol----something about 7.5 piping going into a 8 inch something and that's when he lost me...But the point is: He can install it...and he wants to be here before my carpenter puts up the walls and insulation...I showed him the tile that I like and asked him for about five foot size wide on floor and wall and as well as raising the stove up off the ground so that I can load work easier with my back . I will try to get a picture on here of the tile work for you all. Also I asked him about air spaces behind the tile and he said I did not need that and he does that for fireplaces. I shared with him about the wind and he said he would install a wind blocker as well as asked him for screening it because of the birdies might get in and die and he said that would not be good to do because it gets stopped up with cresote and birdies usually do not go in and its narrower as well. I asked him about cleaning and he suggested once a year and he will do that from the bottom piping (I guess). I asked him if he will light the stove for me when I get dry wood and he said he would as well as getting me a wood moisture gadget and a temperature gauge for the stove and I said for the stove pipe. He also will get me a small trivet for my coffee pot and a ash pan with a cover as well. So that's where I am at with installing my Morso 1410 Stove....If you all have any suggestions please let me know--would appreciate. Next will be wood shopping and he told me not to use round wood and make sure it is split and no bark on it as well. Make sure it is well seasoned and we will continue to get this little stove installed most likely about April 13 or later right after the concrete is laid and before my carpenter encloses and insulates the porch area. I have three or four choices about where to place this stove in the porch...Thanks for your encouragement and help during this time---clancey...

https://edpubfiles.s3.us-east-2.ama.../articles/stove-boards_r-co-stove-board-5.jpg

Last edited:
Placement of the stove: I do not understand how much space would be taken up if I place it at a angle in the corner of the back porch..The stove advertisement said under spec"s. Stove to side wall 20 inches and stove to corner 14 inches and stove to rear wall 6 inches. So how large would the total space be in a square.? Now if I place it straight on I would have to bring it out from the back wall 6 inches and does this mean on each side I would have to have 20 from the walls? If I do it at a angle it seems to be a "whole lot of space"?--Help..Math majors Help.. Another question for today---lol ...Would a brick floor and backing absorb more heat than tile?...So if anyone would take the time to help me out on these questions I would surely appreciate it...clancey..

send us photos of the porch inside and out...

Could not get in some positions because of snow and it was slippery and the white cardboard is the size of the stove: High 27.5 Depth: 14.5 and width 15.5.. It is top corners closest to house is situated at 20 inches straight to wall on each side....One direction from a advertisement was : Stove to side wall 20 inches and Stove to rear wall 6 inches and stove to corner 14 inches.. My second choice would be in the middle of the two windows straight on would give more room and maybe since I am raising the stove about 10 inches so I do not have to bend down so low to load it maybe if wide enough people could sit around it. So I could have it catty corner or straight between the two windows...What do you all think..? thanks..clancey.. Also do bricks retain heat better than tile for a stove and would just bricks be better.. The tile picture is post number one...But if bricks retain heat would that be better and maybe more protection and would look more like a hearth as well--what do you think..." enticement here----I love you all " Thank you..clancey;

back porch 013.JPG back porch 002.JPG back porch 006.JPG back porch 008.JPG back porch 010.JPG back porch 011.JPG back porch 012.JPG

Last edited:
I just got my estimate for the work to be completed and if I am going to spend this much money on this project I figure that I need a different stove. I want something that will burn at least 8 hours and one with larger size wood and something that I can cook on and have space in cooking as well. For now I am doing "throwing a log in the fire" and "moving on" (someone else"s words here)...So I am working from scratch and need your suggestions and help for this project still is going forward with a wood shed and picking up some wood and learning how to stack it as well. My carpenter will build this shed the first week of April and the concrete floor will be laid the second week of April and the porch finished all but the one wall the stove will go in front of and the ceiling area as well will not be finished at this time.. So I am back at scratch now.. The stove just did not look large enough or something " wonderful stove but just not right size for me".. I do not know what I want at this time,,Thanks for all your help...appreciate all your wonderful suggestions...Feeling kind of down but I am plugging forward,,,clancey..

The hard part with what you are looking for is the size of the room you are putting it in. Bigger stove equal longer burn times. Bigger stoves equal more heat thrown out.

Well I I have my installer looking at the J.A. Roby (Sirius) wood burning cook stove to see if he can get it for me..and I fell in love with this stove a month ago and thought I needed something smaller so we will see how this goes for me..

Please let me know what you all think about this pick of mine..clancey

A buddy just put in a Roby stove, but he got the Elda. It’s a bigger firebox and also has the oven attached. He loves it.

Have you looked at the smaller Blaze Kings, like the 20 series Ashford/Chinook/Sirocco? They might be a worthy consideration.

That's 1.8 cubic feet. You can probably get 8 hours out of that if the mmeasurements are accurate. I think itll be 90 in that little room though.

For a long burn with low(ish) heat output, look at catalytic stoves. One small cat stove that can do 8 hours is the VC Intrepid.

Reactions: Shrewboy
Not sure how large a space you have but for reference my 1.85 cu ft Osburn 1600 heats my entire 1600 sq ft house here in MA down to about 5 degrees before it needs any help. House is pretty well insulated. I get about 6 hour burn times where it's giving off good heat but I can reload on coals often up to 10-12 hours later depending on what I'm burning.

All those stoves are beautiful and some of them just too large in size and too heavy as well. Those catalytic stoves are wonderful and very very efficient as well and use less wood and burn for much longer times. That VC Intrepid is a flex stove which can burn both ways the catalytic or secondary way. I know they are easier and more efficient especially with smoke that is released and if I were heating my home I would surely pick one of those and be real careful about what I burn because of replacing the expensive catalytic converter. But in working order that stove would be very nice to have you set it and go... Thank you for those suggestions and I did research on each and every one of them--having fun doing it and watched u-tube all day..What a life this retirement? Although at times I am busier at home than i ever was at work..lol.. To tell you the truth I like the 18 inch logs that the Roby uses. Also the stove looks more even or something with that dull black finish with the straight lines and that viewing glass seems adequate giving it a beautiful look. I love the two little cooking spaces with the cooking tops that are easy to take off---I am in love with that stove after looking at some many--lol-lol.. I tried to go the small stove route but when I saw the cardboard cut out in place it just was not me and that Morso 1410 is a beautiful designed wood stove as well and very efficient as a house heater but it just was not me..

This stove I want only for emergencies or maybe special occasions like looking at the beautiful flames. the catalytic's are nice but don't seem to have much flames mostly smoldering heat in their fireboxes. I am worried about a few things with my stove that I think I want---and" Eaton by Limestone" mentioned it about 90 degrees in that small space but I figure with this taller stove of about 33 inches I can get those non electric fans and fan the heat into the rest of the house by opening up the two windows and main doorway to the house as well as cooling down the porch area by have two more windows and a door to open if it gets too hot and I at this time do not know if this will work..Has anybody cooled off like this and is it okay to do and would it make the stove burn any differently? I think I got my stove---J.A. Roby Sirius wood cooking stove and has anyone had one of these without any catalytic in it? That Roby that AndrewU friends has is a larger one and I am so glad that they like it. Thanks everyone..Now if you happen to think of another choice let me know for I can look that one up and get back to you. I received another estimate today from the installer and I think that I will reconsider the stone work for something less expensive but his prices are pretty good and I will go forward with him after I get the total sum and I am wheeling and dealing with him--lol . He offered me a Osburn stove for a decent price but I do not like the curved lines and no cooking plate and its too heavy looking.. My installer is a wonderful man by the name of Chris and he is going to wish that he never took the job to install my beautiful stove.. I feel sorry for him--but he is a expert and he can do the job.. Gosh he gets on regulations and licensing and on and on and he sounds just like some of our oldsters on here but they are experts as well. I have faith in him...You should have seen his face when I refused the Osborn because he really gave me a good deal. Now he is out there getting my Roby...Thanks so much...Mrs. Clancey

Those non-electric (thermoelectric) fans won't really push heat from your porch into your home.
OPening a window is fine (as long as the chimney exhaust is far enough away and the winds don't blow the smoke back in. But it defeats the purpose a bit, wasting wood to heat the great outdoors.

If you want emergency heat and cooking top, I'd suggest you see if you can put a small stove inside, rather than on your porch. In case of emergency, do you want to have to live on your porch with the rest of your home cold? Water lines in your home freezing but you nice and toasty on the porch? To me that does not make much sense... - but it's hard to judge another person's situation and needs from afar...

Reactions: begreen
Hey guys, anybody have idea what the size of a PE T4 firebox is? The cast iron could help smooth out the heat a bunch.

I thought of that, it's 1.6 cu ft. My preference would be a T5. The Vista/T4 is an E/W loader. The T5 & Super are much more flexible stoves with a square firebox. It also has swing-away trivets. Looks like the Sirius is also an E/W loader, so maybe not a big concern here?

yea that's what I am worried about too much heat for the area. Now the porch is finished off and insulated do you think that if I open up the main house windows and door that the heat might go into that area because it would be cold and would not that draw the heat in with one of those larger eco fans set on top of the stove..My house is about I guess 500--600 square feet and the porch is 15 x 8 feet. I would not be burning it a lot only to keep warm with so I will not have to go to a warming station with lots of other people if something should happen in the middle of winter that is unexpected like the Texas power failure and extreme cold. I thought about bringing it into the house but would rather keep it outside for in a small house it would take up a lot of room. I have for first defense a stand by generator and that works wonderful but just in case a emergency comes about in the dark of winter.. Heck if I could drive long distance like when I was young I could go to another state to keep warm. Its sad I cannot take some kind of venting from the stove and vent it to the inside of the house. I asked my installer about that and he said that is for fireplaces when they are vented throughout the house and to tell you the truth I did not really understand the answer. Not too swift at times..lol lol. Ot Oh---that old begreen and limestone are talking about T5"s or something and i have no idea what they are talking about but I am going to check ...clancey..

The T5 has a concealed cooktop under swing-away trivets that makes it great for cooking. The other advantage is that it will work with a shorter flue system. As for moving the heat into the house, yes some will convect, but a fan, on the floor, in the house blowing cooler house air into the stove room would greatly assist circulation.

The Roby may work fine. I'm not trying to discourage that option. It may be more affordable. Just answering the question.

I appreciate every ones help here and I am going to take the chance and get the J.A, Roby instead of the Morso 1410 which I was going to get instead of the Roby and that's on the other thread but I do not know how to merge the two threads.. But now if my installer can get a J.A. Roby Sirius that's the one for me and I will work out the problems from there studying about convection and stuff like that even if I have to tear down the wall to the house and I will share all of this with my new found hearth friends.. Looking forward to this job to be finished and it will start with a wood shed and then concreting the porch floor and enclosing it except the area where the installer has to work. In regard to wood there is one family owned business I am very impressed with but would have to pick the wood up myself and I can do this with my Pick Up Truck--maybe 1/2 of a cord or something like that to start with.. Looking forward to these things as well as waiting to find out if my stove installer can get this particular stove . We will take this day by day. There are pictures of the porch on posting four of this thread and do not know how to bring them over to this posting...Thanks everyone...clancey

Reactions: stoveliker
I merged the two threads so posting #4 is now in this thread. Keep us posted on progress. I'm interested to see how the Sirius burns and works out for you.

Will do begreen and all my new found friends and I intend to read all the postings everyday so write interesting things--lol..I will try to take pictures of this endeavor along the way and share them with you as well...thanks for the help...

You got that place barred up like Fort Knox. I'd be putting the stove as central of the house as I could, but that's just me.

Yea those security bars look funny I would imagine and your little note on your account " about living next to a nuke plant" for that I would have a Geiger Counter placed somewhere--- lol. Quite a few people think that I should bring the wood stove into the main part of the house and you are not alone with this thinking which is a good idea if I was to use it for my heat source but in this case I want it only for emergency purposes as well as a chance to learn about heating with wood. Some of these stoves are just beautiful and would add beauty to any home and ambiance as well but for me I just want to use it for emergencies in case the power goes off on a freezing winter day so I can stay at home and be warm--I hate the cold. If I were to place it in the house it would be just as you suggested in the middle of the house..Thanks for the suggestion ---clancey.

That porch will make an awesome sauna if you put a "larger" stove like the Sirius or Alderlea T series in there.

Edit: I went back and read some of the posts again, and I'm a bit confused. Is the order for the Squirrel stove still happening? I still think that would be a great little stove for the room. There are heat shields available for that stove to reduce the clearances as well. The heat shields also have the squirrel on the sides.

Reactions: Hoytman
That Morso1410 order I cancelled and I have my installer (Chris) working on getting me a J.A. Sirius Stove and here is a link.

I would get the solid black one.

I made a cut out of the Morso in order to plan for its arrival at the end of May for it was back ordered and decided that it was just too small for me and I know it is a wonderful stove but its just not "me" for I wanted something a bit more wide and high . I have always loved the design of this Roby with its cooking plates on top . I also like that it burns the larger wood pieces of wood. I just need to make do and figure out how not to get too hot for we must remember this will only be used in a emergency if needed to keep me warm. I do get the feeling that I will be "real warm"..lol----But I love it and decided on buying it and "Chris" (the installer is working on this) for I left him a e-mail to find one of these for me.. I plan on placing it right in the middle of that back wall to the house maybe a little to the end maybe even the front of the stove facing the back door to the house for easy access to the kitchen of the main house and easy access to the wood shed to be built along that fence that faces South.. If it gets too hot I will figure it out and do "something" like take the roof off--kidding...So that's where I am at in this moment of time. Thanks Clancey

As far as moving the heat into the house, open the door and place a small fan on the floor (doesn't have to be "in" the doorway) running on low, blowing toward the opening, it will pressurize the room with cool air, which will push warm air out of the doorway at the top...works really well!