Cast iron over a steel firebox

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
I think the potential of this isn't being fully realized.

There are a lot of people looking for parlor stoves, box stoves, etc. The styles of the past had a neat look. Too bad they couldn't meet EPA regulations. These stoves could exist again though. A modern firebox could be clad in cast iron to give it the character people want.

The question is, is the market there to do a production run to clad a stove in cast iron of the past? Would people buy a kit to make a small BK into a parlor stove? A cubic mini into a pot belly?

Ideal steal touches on this with their side plates, and the Alderleas make a great looking/performing stove, is there room to profit by doing more? Lots of cars are updated styles of the 60s and 70s. Would stoves follow suit?

I think the potential of this isn't being fully realized.

There are a lot of people looking for parlor stoves, box stoves, etc. The styles of the past had a neat look. Too bad they couldn't meet EPA regulations. These stoves could exist again though. A modern firebox could be clad in cast iron to give it the character people want.

The question is, is the market there to do a production run to clad a stove in cast iron of the past? Would people buy a kit to make a small BK into a parlor stove? A cubic mini into a pot belly?

Ideal steal touches on this with their side plates, and the Alderleas make a great looking/performing stove, is there room to profit by doing more? Lots of cars are updated styles of the 60s and 70s. Would stoves follow suit?
The problem is the form of many of those stoves of which many were meant for coal isn't easy to translate into an efficient woodburner.

Sure, I get that they couldn't be the same as the old stove, but you could put nickel plating on a fancy cast iron surround to make it look parloresque.

I think there's a place for that in somebody's house! I'm impressed with all of the color options!

I was thinking more of using the firebox of an existing stove with a different set of skin. Sort of what the auto companies do. Take a compact car, put on a new body, and its a crossover SUV.

I think there's a place for that in somebody's house! I'm impressed with all of the color options!

I was thinking more of using the firebox of an existing stove with a different set of skin. Sort of what the auto companies do. Take a compact car, put on a new body, and its a crossover SUV.
New bronco. Everything is modular and completely customizable. I get it. No market with small margins and sales numbers on stoves. I thought I was getting a popular insert. Serial number is 40xx. It’s been out for almost two years and listed on Costco for most of that. Casting is expensive. Looking at the stove I posted it all looks stamped. At the end of the day a wood burner is typically a cheap S….. errrr value oriented person and the bells and whistles just for looks are that important. I paid extra for a white stove because it fit the look so maybe there is more market there than I’m thinking. I just thinking about Blaze king if they could hange something in there to make them look better and sell more and make more $$$ I best they would have.

I like the cast look, but the durability of a welded steel box, hence the BK Ashford. cast panels over a steel box

Reactions: EbS-P
Definitely possible, and would be a market for it. The question is can it be done and still keep the UL and emissions certifications.

Personally I don't like the look of cast stoves at all. I think there's another market too, and that of simple welded steel box stoves with nice clean lines that fit well in modern homes.

Reactions: ToastyRanch
Something like this.

Wow, I love that stove! We really wanted an actual old "Oak" style stove, but the price and lack of efficiency was a real turnoff. This is price about the same, but the efficiency doesn't look that much better. 63% is kind of a bummer in 2021.

The BK Ashford is basically this. Cast panels over a steel box. I imagine you are right in that historical looks could be achieved.
The Ashford followed the Alderlea lead which was preceded by the Napoleon cast iron jacketed steel stoves. Quadrafire also had some nice ones but they have not returned since the 2020 EPA regs. Personally, I love this style of stove.

Reactions: Smolder
The Ashford followed the Alderlea lead which was preceded by the Napoleon cast iron jacketed steel stoves. Quadrafire also had some nice ones but they have not returned since the 2020 EPA regs. Personally, I love this style of stove.
It is a nice type of stove, less radiant, but with a fan they heat like heck.

Yes, in our house with a corner install, less radiant was a plus. We had a highly radiant stove beforehand and the room temp swings were much more noticeable. Our living room is not large, but the floor plan is open. In a large room, a radiant stove might be more appropriate.

Reactions: Smolder