Cat chemistry

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saichele

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2005
OK, so here's one. Like most people, I run the stove flat out for a while to get up to cat temp, hit the cat, and give it a few minutes to light off. Then I cut back the airflow to do a long burn.

The question is - cutting back the airflow reduces the flow of oxygen into the stove, reducing the rate of the burn. That's the goal. But where does the cat get additional oxygen for its combustion process? Whatever it's doing, it has to be matching O to C somehow.

Any experts out there?

Steve

I believe you think that all of the O is consumed in the stove while in a slow burn state, and that is not the case.

Our cats are anti-aerobic. That is unless dinner is being served.

Hmmm. I tend to run my stove flat out except that after the cat is engaged I shut the extra airflow---1 square inch sliding door on ashpan front) of course this winter It has burned a bit hotter and faster because something is wrong with the draft fan and it won't shut off. So I have extra air flowing into the stove. I was worried about it at first but it hasn't caused the stove to overfire. I'll fix it in the spring.

The cat element of the stove, when engaged,
significantly restricts the flow of gases.
In actuality, surprisingly little oxygen is required
to support this process, typically less than a
couple of cubic feet per minute. As a matter of
fact, the slower the flow, the longer the gases
spend flowing through the element, and the more
complete the combustion.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.