Cawley LeMay(s)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

D. Hermit

Feeling the Heat
Nov 21, 2020
NeK Vermont
Collection looking nice, scored this 600 in Portland ME, 8 hr round trip. Crazy how much bigger(heavier) the 600 is compared to the 400. The lineup, 500,400,600. Im in talks w a guy to buy an 800, still need a 550 to restore. A2A5F31B-3CBC-4C7F-AEE9-62BBBB76FAE8.jpeg92074A57-3821-4CF6-918E-58BF50D9C2A5.jpeg424643FC-9EFF-4DB1-B76D-91D6FF4EBEBF.jpeg9B4F1B7B-8504-4C18-8C0B-49013295A6AA.jpeg26DD26F7-850C-4784-B8AD-5E42567FA26E.jpeg91BDF37C-9A45-4E6C-B683-B2113E18318A.jpeg9077E97B-BF3F-4FF8-8FF3-FFFAF312CA6A.jpeg

Bob Cawley designed the stove itself, and his wife Martha, is a sculptor, and she sculpted all the molds for the sides. No stove repeats a design/sculpture from another stove.

Bob Cawley designed the stove itself, and his wife Martha, is a sculptor, and she sculpted all the molds for the sides. No stove repeats a design/sculpture from another stove.
I ran a 600 for a few years in their day the 400 and 600 were some of the cleanest burning stoves available. And absolutely beautiful

Do you know if bucks found a new foundry to make parts? The foundry they were using closed about the time I sold mine.

Do you know if bucks found a new foundry to make parts? The foundry they were using closed about the time I sold mine.
He has not, I talk to him about twice a month, well him or Odyne ha. They have been looking, but mainly running though all the cawleys he had and breaking them down for parts. I had to go to woodsman for baffle/ignition grid because Buck has had zero. My best friend lives 15 mins outside Portland OR, I wanna check out Bucks place next time im there.

He has not, I talk to him about twice a month, well him or Odyne ha. They have been looking, but mainly running though all the cawleys he had and breaking them down for parts. I had to go to woodsman for baffle/ignition grid because Buck has had zero. My best friend lives 15 mins outside Portland OR, I wanna check out Bucks place next time im there.
I got some parts from them when I restored mine. Pretty much all the internals and a new top.

Yea, that broke the bank with my 400, new baffle, and ignition grid were over 500. And then it was missing leveling feet that Buck was nice enough to give me very cheap. And a lid lifter. I was very pleased when I got to the 600 and started pulling it apart in the guys basement, internals look like maybe had 20 fires in it ever. Mint condition everything, and had the orginal lid lifter. I was very very happy.

Reactions: bholler
Yea, that broke the bank with my 400, new baffle, and ignition grid were over 500. And then it was missing leveling feet that Buck was nice enough to give me very cheap. And a lid lifter. I was very pleased when I got to the 600 and started pulling it apart in the guys basement, internals look like maybe had 20 fires in it ever. Mint condition everything, and had the orginal lid lifter. I was very very happy.
We have on customer who has original side shelves on their 400. I have never seen them anywhere else.

Reactions: D. Hermit
I'm just a filthy casual, which is which?

We have on customer who has original side shelves on their 400. I have never seen them anywhere else.
Ive seen them in pictures! I keep forgetting to ask buck to find me a set! And I like the looks of the 500 more than the 550, but I really like the glass behind the trees in the 500, looks super cool w the fire going good.

Ive seen them in pictures! I keep forgetting to ask buck to find me a set! And I like the looks of the 500 more than the 550, but I really like the glass behind the trees in the 500, looks super cool w the fire going good.
Yes the glass behind the trees is a great detail. I have never seen an 800 in person but I like the design from pics. I havnt seen a 550 either for that matter

Yes the glass behind the trees is a great detail. I have never seen an 800 in person but I like the design from pics. I havnt seen a 550 either for that matter
The 550 is the same as the 500, except its got a single door w a larger piece of glass in it. Not blocked, like a normal stove. I dont see many 550s vs 500s, which is why I want it of course.

New here. Not sure if I’m using this correctly?
Looking for guidance on repairing my Cawley LeMay 400. I’ve had this stove since 1980...continuous use every winter since 1982! Just bought the 2 side liners and both top baffles to replace - since during a small fire this morning one side panel finally collapsed and the top baffles fell down a bit (they’ve been in rough shape for a few yrs - no more putting it off now!)
I have no idea how to install these new parts, just ordered from Woodman’s Parts.
Any suggestions or tips would be very appreciated!

Collection looking nice, scored this 600 in Portland ME, 8 hr round trip. Crazy how much bigger(heavier) the 600 is compared to the 400. The lineup, 500,400,600. Im in talks w a guy to buy an 800, still need a 550 to restore.View attachment 277928View attachment 277929View attachment 277930View attachment 277931View attachment 277932View attachment 277933View attachment 277934
I love that you are restoring these beautiful wood stoves!
Any tips on how to get new parts (side liners and both top baffles) installed?
I’ve ordered the parts from Woodman’s.
I’ve been using my Cawley LeMay 400 every winter since 1982...but I can’t put off the repair any more since this morning with a small fire going, one of the liners finally gave way which caused the baffles to fall down a bit (all were in rough shape for a couple yrs)
I would greatly appreciate any advice.

I’ve been using my Cawley LeMay 400 every winter since 1982...but I can’t put off the repair any more since this morning with a small fire going, one of the liners finally gave way which caused the baffles to fall down a bit (all were in rough shape for a couple yrs)
Just clean everything out the new parts just sit in place

Hey Feather, welcome to the forum! And thank you, I do have a pretty bad addiction to cast iron ha. But here are some pics to help you!
First is clean out the firebox well so you can see these tabs I circled.
These stoves had reversable side plates so you could have 2 different size set ups,I find the bigger one is more stable, so thats what I have it set for. Let me know if you need anymore help!D7F8A039-B926-44B3-916F-B07AECACCCA1.jpegF7DCA1E7-1446-4582-893C-EED25A749B48.jpeg61BFA822-57EB-46C8-BE72-51F2E2D9813F.jpeg5FFC8CCF-CC1D-4F67-ACBF-C3171216D2A0.jpeg8BD0B327-8661-4D8B-AC9B-11E62D03ED2C.jpeg63D0B5F9-8866-4F92-82B1-DDC6FEDEFE43.jpeg

Just clean everything out the new parts just sit in place
Thank You!
But do I have to remove the top plate or do the parts just fit in thru the door?
Hey Feather, welcome to the forum! And thank you, I do have a pretty bad addiction to cast iron ha. But here are some pics to help you!
First is clean out the firebox well so you can see these tabs I circled.
These stoves had reversable side plates so you could have 2 different size set ups,I find the bigger one is more stable, so thats what I have it set for. Let me know if you need anymore help!View attachment 278421View attachment 278422View attachment 278423View attachment 278424View attachment 278425View attachment 278426
WOW! Thank You kindly!!! That is very helpful to me and I appreciate your reply with pictures!! very much. Waiting for the few coals of the last fire to die out so I can start cleaning. I was nervous thinking the whole top plate would have to come off to fit the side liners and baffles back in...now my worry is gone! Yay, I can do all this through the door.
Btw, last fall I painted my stove with Ottosson Graphite linseed oil paint (made for wood stoves) and it came out beautiful!! There was a smell for about a week as it cured, but eventually the smell went away completely.
I purchased it from a website called:
solventfreepaint.com
Thank you so much!!!

Thank You!
But do I have to remove the top plate or do the parts just fit in thru the door?

WOW! Thank You kindly!!! That is very helpful to me and I appreciate your reply with pictures!! very much. Waiting for the few coals of the last fire to die out so I can start cleaning. I was nervous thinking the whole top plate would have to come off to fit the side liners and baffles back in...now my worry is gone! Yay, I can do all this through the door.
Btw, last fall I painted my stove with Ottosson Graphite linseed oil paint (made for wood stoves) and it came out beautiful!! There was a smell for about a week as it cured, but eventually the smell went away completely.
solventfreepaint.com
Thank you so much!!!
Deranged hermit already answered your question there. I wish you had asked here before using stove polish. High-quality paint is much more durable and now it is very difficult to remove that polish so you can paint.

Thank You!

solventfreepaint.com
Thank you so much!!!
No problem, happy to help . And no the top plate does not need to come off, I was just trying to show you the orentation when you get them in, just fit em through the door

Deranged hermit already answered your question there. I wish you had asked here before using stove polish. High-quality paint is much more durable and now it is very difficult to remove that polish so you can paint.
Umm...I didn’t use stove polish? I used Ottosson linseed oil graphite paint. It came out beautiful

Umm...I didn’t use stove polish? I used Ottosson linseed oil graphite paint. It came out beautiful
That is stove polish regardless of what they call it.

At the age of your stove I would inspect all of the joints very well and check for leaks. It has been in use a long time it may need a teardown and rebuild. Which isn't hard at all on those stoves.

That is stove polish regardless of what they call it.

At the age of your stove I would inspect all of the joints very well and check for leaks. It has been in use a long time it may need a teardown and rebuild. Which isn't hard at all on those stoves.
Thanks...that sounds a rather daunting task for me though! I might look for someone in my neck of the woods who does repairs on stoves. In theory it seems a logical step by step process but I would be nervous taking it all apart even if I knew how. ..and you are likely right about the seams needing some cement recaulking after so many years. The rope caulking around the door still looks really good, oddly enough
And what kind of paint would you recommend? I thought the Ottosson was paint
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I appreciate it