Cawley LeMay(s)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Thanks...that sounds a rather daunting task for me though! I might look for someone in my neck of the woods who does repairs on stoves. In theory it seems a logical step by step process but I would be nervous taking it all apart even if I knew how. ..and you are likely right about the seams needing some cement recaulking after so many years. The rope caulking around the door still looks really good, oddly enough
And what kind of paint would you recommend? I thought the Ottosson was paint
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I appreciate it
I would recommend stove brite or aw perkins paint. But at this point you can't use them without completely stripping off what you put on

Thanks...that sounds a rather daunting task for me though! I might look for someone in my neck of the woods who does repairs on stoves. In theory it seems a logical step by step process but I would be nervous taking it all apart even if I knew how. ..and you are likely right about the seams needing some cement recaulking after so many years. The rope caulking around the door still looks really good, oddly enough
And what kind of paint would you recommend? I thought the Ottosson was paint
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I appreciate it
Id use either Stove Bright Or Thurmalox, satin black would look the best/most original in my opinion. But you will have to wait a year or two till all that oil based stuff burns off. Or sandblast it

I would recommend stove brite or aw perkins paint. But at this point you can't use them without completely stripping off what you put on
Thanks! Although I’m very happy with the paint I used and maybe you might check it out sometime. There are 2 ingredients: pure linseed oil and graphite. Let’s the metal surface breath. Non toxic to use. Been used in Sweden on wood stoves for a very long time.
But I appreciate your suggestions. Kind of you

Thanks! Although I’m very happy with the paint I used and maybe you might check it out sometime. There are 2 ingredients: pure linseed oil and graphite. Let’s the metal surface breath. Non toxic to use. Been used in Sweden on wood stoves for a very long time.
using the Ottosson paint
1620083690928.png

Reactions: D. Hermit
It is cast iron it doesn't need to breath. Lots of things were used for a long time untill something better was made available. There is nothing really wrong with polish it just doesn't hold up well and makes it a real pain if you want to paint.

I just found a 400 this morning, it will need a new baffle, and ignition grid. It looks like finding them used is not going to be possible and Woodmans will be the only option. I wasn't aware that side shelves existed. I'll have to search the property the stove came from and see if I can find them. Maybe they're there! I'm looking forward to this restoration project! Is there an owners manual PDF out there anywhere?

Not much for manuals out there. I posted one awhile back I got with my 800 that came from the original owner. Let me check later, I almost think I found a 400/600 manual too at some point.
The 400 is the easiest one to find in the wild, and really the best for a good resto project. My 400 is currently in parts in line at my sandblaster to get cleaned up before re assembly.

You will be in it over 500 with just the baffle and grid. If you can, try and give Buck a call directly, and he is always cannibalizing old Cawleys that are not allowed in that part if the country, for parts for people.

And most important, since your in NH, and if this project gets pushed back and you want out, give me first chance at making a deal with ya for the stove ;)

Reactions: harryfatcat
Not much for manuals out there. I posted one awhile back I got with my 800 that came from the original owner. Let me check later, I almost think I found a 400/600 manual too at some point.
The 400 is the easiest one to find in the wild, and really the best for a good resto project. My 400 is currently in parts in line at my sandblaster to get cleaned up before re assembly.

You will be in it over 500 with just the baffle and grid. If you can, try and give Buck a call directly, and he is always cannibalizing old Cawleys that are not allowed in that part if the country, for parts for people.

And most important, since your in NH, and if this project gets pushed back and you want out, give me first chance at making a deal with ya for the stove ;)
Thanks! Is Bucks contact info on here somewhere? I'll look around for it. I'm also wondering what the flue connection should look like, the stove is not here to take a picture of at the moment. I hope I'm not missing anything there.
Another advantage to living in NH is I can drive right over to Woodmans!

Yea you may be missing the flue connector piece as well then. Its just an elbow that attaches to the back of the stove. Pictures would help. And just call Bucks Stove Emporium, and ask to talk to Buck. He answers himself alot of the time. Number on the website, www.stoves.com. As well as a lil info on Cawleys as well.

Thanks! Is Bucks contact info on here somewhere? I'll look around for it. I'm also wondering what the flue connection should look like, the stove is not here to take a picture of at the moment. I hope I'm not missing anything there.
Another advantage to living in NH is I can drive right over to Woodmans!
So I cannot right now find where that 400/600 manual was. But I have a very nice lady selling a 400 a couple states away online, with the original manual, I asked nicely and shes going to scan it or take pictures on her phone Friday for us. And ill get it uploaded right to this thread!

Ive decided to update this thread with a copy of my Cawley 400 600 original manual.

I have a 500 manual as well, I will try to get it uploaded soon.

Thanks. I attached a copy to the Cawley wiki file.

Reactions: D. Hermit
Cawley LeMay 500 Manual

Attachments

• Cawley 500 Manual-.pdf
    16 MB · Views: 93
Reactions: begreen
Thanks. I attached a copy to the Cawley wiki file.
My apologies, I just tried printing that copy for my client and its actually a terrible scan. Here is a 100x better copy thats actually legible.

Attachments

• Cawley LeMay 400 and 600 Woodstoves Manual.pdf
    6.8 MB · Views: 160