Chainsaw Buddy?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thinkxingu

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2007
S.NH
Hey All,
I've got a bunch of wood that was cut a little long and needs to be re-cut. Has anyone tried these Chainsaw Buddy things at Bailey's?

S

I have never tried a chainsaw buddy, but I do know that a sawbuck works pretty good for this.

Attachments

• 395200_lg.jpg
    395200_lg.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 638
My wife gave me the chainsaw buddy for my birthday last year. I haven't tried it yet. It looks pretty well made and should work nice. I just haven't gotten around to playing with it yet. I use my home made sawbuck to shorten rounds and splits. The inside log holders are a gauge for for proper length.
0526101316.jpg

I like that wooden one....I know I would ruin my chain with the metal one. I is clummsy.

oldspark said:
Jack Straw said:
I like that wooden one....I know I would ruin my chain with the metal one. I is clummsy.
Me too!
Ja, judging by the chainsaw scars on my wooden sawbuck, I'd be down more than a few chains too.

I have a sawbuck, but I would need to lift every single piece and cut--and since most pieces are only about 30", it would be a whole lot more work than this thing.

Has anyone tried the one that mounts on the saw? I can't decide if that's a good idea or not. I do hold logs down with my foot which
is quite dangerous and I do cut a lot of small limbs.

[del][/del]

Yea thats it.

I have one and its great. For instance, after downing a tree and pileing up the limbs all in one direction, attach chainsaw buddy (CB) and walk it perpendicular to the branches starting from the tops (thinnest parts), working to the bottoms (thickest parts). Don't worry about contacting the dirt/ground with the blade since the CB makes contact first and keeps chain contact from occuring. You can litterally cut with your eyes close.

I use it mostly for cutting lots of smaller limbs quickly and safely. Another nice aspect is that the action of the chain drawing backwards (toward me) "locks" the branch in the jaws of the CB and keeps it from jumping around. This makes for safer more stable and quicker cutting.

I bought the Chainsaw Buddy a few years ago when I needed to make six cords of shorter ones out of six cords of longer ones. It did a great job. In fact I need to get it back out. I have a dozen or so I need to shorten now.

I ended up using my splitter to pinch the wood sideways and cut from there. With two people, this is a great option. With one, I might look at the chainsaw pally wal.

S

Status
Not open for further replies.