cheap log splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimcope

Aug 1, 2008
howell mi
Does any one know where i can get a small cheap log splitter that is new. Give me the name brand or the store name ro online site. and tell me how well it works.
jim

I was at homedepot the other day (shhh dont tell anybody) they had some splitters that looked pretty cheap to me. Dont know how much they cost, but they sure do look cheap

jim c said:
Does any one know where i can get a small cheap log splitter that is new. Give me the name brand or the store name ro online site. and tell me how well it works.
jim

hey I see your from howell too. your not too far from the cheap splitters. right up on grand river. Go to tractor supply and get one of those husky 35 ton jobs, youll like it. where in howell are you?

jim c said:
jim
not sure how cheap you are talking about but most gas powered log splitter are 1000 and up

when you goto Homedepot ask if they ahve a rental department. If they do, ask if they ahve any used splitters that they want to sell

When I was in Harbor Freight they had a 5 or 6 hp. gas, horizontal splitter for $700.00.I don't remember the ton rating but it was fairly low for a gas powered splitter, 10-12 I think. It might be OK but it looked a bit iffy to me.(Chinese engine and fairly small cylinder/reservoir)

Thanks to all I bought a new small eletric log splitter tonight at home depot. I do not do the credit card thing any more but got 25 dollars off for applying for one. so i got it for 274.00 I took a log with me to see how it worked. read the reviews on it and it had all postive. I will be using it tomorrow.
Jim

Yes I am from howell 3 miles south of 96 on D-19

Jim best wishs with your new splitter...keep us posted on how it works out for you.

For the rest of the "I want a splitter but can't afford it" posters think of a splitter as an investment and amortize it. A 1k splitter used over 10 years is 100 a year...about 2 tankfuls of gas at todays prices. And with your own splitter you become master of your own domain...you split when you want to. For me I love to split after dinner cause it keeps me away from the boob tube and falling asleep. When you start splitting 30 min a day before you know it you have a very serious stash of wood and the drudgery factor of wood burning is greatly reduced.

Also gas splitter are pretty much bullet proof if you practice preventive maintaince...why hell the engines just idles all the time anyway. You may own a dozen cars in a lifetime but 1 splitter will do ya.

jim c, you didn't tell us what brand it was. let us know what brand and how well it worked. thanks.

Hi
Its a RYOBI RY 49701
Been working real good. It says it will do 10 in log but I have done 15 in logs buy shaving off of the sies first. I found a 7 ton electric log splitter online for 500 dollars that looks real nice.

I find it real relaxing going out lat night and doing the same thing. I think i might be cutting some bad wood that I am gettting out of my woods. Found a log with a lot of ants today. I am keeping everything i cut sprayd I guess i will live and learn that going to be a litttle easyer to do with every one of you guyes help Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.