Chimney fan - must it be always on?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

enchant

Nov 5, 2016
Marshfield, MA
In another thread, I'm discussing possible draft problems that I have with my new stove. There are several solutions that I plan to try, but someone suggested a chimney fan. I did some checking, and they're not cheap, plus it involves some surgery to my stove pipe. So I'd like to exhaust (no pun intended) all other solutions before trying this. But I'd like to educate myself as best I can.

Once the stove gets going, it seems to run fine. I need to get more acquainted with it, but I'm sure we'll come to terms at some point. The only problem that concerns me is that when I open the door, smoke almost always wafts in.

If I were to install a chimney fan, does it have to be constantly running? Can I turn it on only when I need to open the door to tend the fire (or when initially starting it)? If it's installed and not running, could it impede the draft?

I really don't want to start a whole new discussion on draft/smoke solutions here. We're covering it pretty well in my other thread ("Need a better lighter") and I've had a boatload of helpful suggestions given to me there.

you dont want a chimney fan at all the ones that go int the pipe can be very dangerous and the ones on top are extremely expensive. It would be cheaper to just extend the chimney to the proper height. Also do you know if your liner is insulated?

Status
Not open for further replies.