Clearance question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jqgs214

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2006
Riverhead, NY
I know the 10/3/2 rule but my chimney is on the edge of my driveway which is bout 10ft wide and that is the edge of my property line. The neighbors small oak trees line the edge of my driveway and over hang it. (he didnt plant them they just grew there and are getting about 20-25ft tall now. The closest branch in probably now 4-5ft away from the chimney. Is that a fire hazard?? Considering how hard it is to burn wet wood? What would you do??

I own this tool that is a telescoping rod with a set of pruning shears on the end operated by a rope. I would climb up and cut every branch that I could reach that was on my property if I thought it might affect the stove's operation orr safety. The final consideration is aesthetics since a tree can look pretty silly when pruned on one side only. I have been known to reach over the property line to get a proper prune or shape.

How would the neighbor feel about removing the tree? Is it possible that the roots will soon be popping your driveway up?

Well its my to my knowledge that oaks are pretty deep rooted, maples are another sort so not to worried bout the driveway. Could cut it down but kinda like the privacy it gives. Most likely just going to prune it back, I have a pole pruner also. Just wondering what people thought of that proximity and the chance of fire. Dont think it would hinder performance any and it does not overhang the top of the chinmey its to the side. Any other opinions??

Well I know up here in the mountains they (USFS. CDF ) dont even like trees or branches that close to your house, let alone the chiminey. And another thought is that the tree isnt going to get any smaller and youd probably need to cut it back at some time anyway. And if Oaks back there grow like ours out here that wont be long.

Well pruning is going to happen, maybe I'll top it and make and oak bush :)

As another option for those needing to do high pruning, I have a "rope saw" that does a pretty decent job, though it isn't as easy as the catalogs make it out to be (what is?) :smirk: You can get them for about $30-40 out of HF, probably other places as well. Essentially it is two peices of poly rope with a length of chainsaw like chain in the middle (no guide bar teeth, and the cutters face in opposite directions, but similar idea) and a "bean bag" throwing weight - The idea is to throw the bag over the branch, haul the chain up till it loops over the branch, then pull the ropes back and forth until the branch is cut through. It works, but has problems sometimes.

1. It can be a challenge to get the rope over the right branch in the right place - helps if you're a baseball star....

2. You will get a face full of sawdust, and when the branch comes down you'll be under it - wear your PPE :exclaim:

3. If the branch splits, the saw chain will sometimes go down the split and get seriously stuck.

4. I've had the saw chain get stuck for no apparent reason, and getting it out can be a bear!

5. Some trees will do a "banana peel" on the bark or split when the branch comes off, this supposedly is difficult for the tree to heal, and can be an entry vector for pests and diseases...

However, I'd say that the rope saw is the best choice for doing things from the ground when the only other choice is to get the climbing gear out...

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.