Cold weather gloves for cutting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
It's almost that time again, time to cut wood for 2020. Grounds not quite frozen here so I'll wait a bit and probably start around 12/1 or so, plus I'm not pissing off my neighbors who are trying to finish up the hunting season. I have plenty of warm gear, but my problem is my hands get so cold, especially as I get older. Does anyone have a brand of glove that really keeps their hands warm, while still providing some dexterity?
The warmest gloves I ever had were the Hotfingers brand.They're in upstate New York.

I use el cheapo insulated workhorse work gloves the box stores sell, and they work good for me. Regardless of any gloves you use, over extended periods of time, your hands will get cold(more fingers for me). Just take a break, go inside and have some coffee or cocoa, then go back at it when the digits thaw. I have a more relaxed leisurely approach to processing my firewood. I make it a more enjoyable experience, rather than set a time stamp I must meet.

Same here, I used to pay good money for gloves /mitts but found they wear out at the same rate as cheap ones and never really were any warmer.
I grab whatever insulated work gloves are on sale at TSC or Canadian Tire etc. at the beginning of the season. I've worked doing firewood as cold as -30C (-22F) and been fine. I tend to get cold hands easily and the cheapey leather insulted gloves have been just fine. As I heard an old timer say somewhere "the heat is in the tools, so get working". Or as @Hogwildz says, head in for a coffee break if the hands get too cold.

Last edited:
My toes, in steel toed logger boots, always get cold way before my hands. I usually work outside in 3 - 4 hour stints, when it’s cold, and “cold” for us is usually only single digits-F. Steel toe boots, even with wool blend socks eventually freeze my toes. My fingers are always fine, as long as I’m working them, even with my usual cheap un-insulated gloves.