Compact/Smallest Zero Clearance Open Fireplace on Market

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

eastcoastguy

May 21, 2022
New England
Hi, I am seeking to install a fireplace in new construction that has to be freestanding due to a large number of glass walls. I also would like it to be wood burning. However, where the job is located in New York State the government has discussed banning wood so I would like the ability to convert to gas at a future point. The purpose of the fireplace is aesthetic as there is separate heat.

Because it is freestanding, my first thought was to go with.a modern woodburning stove such as Supreme Novo 38 Wood Burning Stove but apparently there is no way to convert a wood stove to gas. Regular ZC fireplaces have knockouts for gas in case you want to convert so I have been looking for a compact one that could be framed with steel and hardibacker in the open. A number of companies (Majestic, Heatilator, Superior) offer 36" viewing area models, however, once you allow for clearances, the width gets up to about 42" which is a bit large for free standing.

Does anyone know of a compact, ZC woodburnign fireplace that including clearances would be 36" or less? I imagine this would still allow for a 30" or so viewing area which should be fine.

Basically I'm looking for in appearance/size closer to a nodern wood stove that has the flexibility (wood or gas) of ZC fireplace. So trying to find the most compact traditional ZC fireplace on the market .

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

The EPA high-efficiency ZC fireplaces probably won't work for this. They are designed for wood. It may be better to get a gas fireplace from the start.

Hi, I am seeking to install a fireplace in new construction that has to be freestanding due to a large number of glass walls. I also would like it to be wood burning. However, where the job is located in New York State the government has discussed banning wood so I would like the ability to convert to gas at a future point. The purpose of the fireplace is aesthetic as there is separate heat.

Because it is freestanding, my first thought was to go with.a modern woodburning stove such as Supreme Novo 38 Wood Burning Stove but apparently there is no way to convert a wood stove to gas. Regular ZC fireplaces have knockouts for gas in case you want to convert so I have been looking for a compact one that could be framed with steel and hardibacker in the open. A number of companies (Majestic, Heatilator, Superior) offer 36" viewing area models, however, once you allow for clearances, the width gets up to about 42" which is a bit large for free standing.

Does anyone know of a compact, ZC woodburnign fireplace that including clearances would be 36" or less? I imagine this would still allow for a 30" or so viewing area which should be fine.

Basically I'm looking for in appearance/size closer to a nodern wood stove that has the flexibility (wood or gas) of ZC fireplace. So trying to find the most compact traditional ZC fireplace on the market .

NY is banning gas not wood

Hmm. Part of me says build for now and don’t worry about future regulations. My guess to replace wood wood stove with a gas one would cost about the price of a gas stove install. If it’s just for ambience I would feel ok putting an ethanol burner in my woodstove with the door open. But again it’s not the best solution. Check out the Pacific Energy Neo 2.5. It would be my choice for a modern non cat. Or the Blaze king boxer if I wanted a cat stove.

If going with wood, RSF, Pacific Energy, Astria, and Quadrafire, makes some smaller, ~2 cu ft ZC fireplaces.

Reactions: Rachy