Compact Tractor FEL

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

walhondingnashua

Minister of Fire
Jul 23, 2016
ohio
I am working on selling my ATV and want to buy an older compact tractor (18-24hp). I don't want to use this as a lawn mower, but for more true tractor uses. I prefer much older models (early 90s or older) because of the prices and I just think they were built better. My must haves are 4x4, pto and a FEL. As I search the web, I find a lot of tractors that I really like but many of them do not have a FEL. Another search does not show many options for used FELs (I'm sure many people are not removing a FEL to sell it separate). Is there a good, inexpensive option for me to buy a tractor without a FEL and add one?

Reactions: sloeffle
There several chi-com units available as aftermarket loaders. i would guess apx $ 2500-5000. you have the fel itself and then need a mounting frame specific to the tractor after that you have to tap into the hydro circuit or add a seperate pump tank assembly + hoses control valve ect. the few used loaders lacking frame and everything else I have seen in the $1800.

Make sure it has power steering as well. Some tractors didn't come with it in that era and size range. You can contact any factory or aftermarket loader manufacturer and get the proper mounts and kits to install a loader. Or you could call some salvage yards and get a loader and everything with it.

Loaders for used tractors are hard to find, even for common tractor models. They're not cheap either. Adapting a generic loader will be a lot of custom fab work, It's cheaper in the long run, and faster, to get a tractor that has a loader already.

Agreed about the power steering. I had a Kubota B7100 which is 16hp and didn't have power steering. Even though the loader capacity was only ~700 lbs it was hard to manuver at low speed with a full bucket.

Reactions: Ashful
I'm pretty set on making sure I have power steering. Even if it's an older tractor and needs a new pump, it can be done. One of the reasons I want an older model is because it should be easier to fix or repair myself.

I'm pretty set on making sure I have power steering. Even if it's an older tractor and needs a new pump, it can be done. One of the reasons I want an older model is because it should be easier to fix or repair myself.
You won't have to work on a newer tractor as often and they are equally well built. Tractors are expected to last a lifetime and provide excellent service that whole time. You will most likely have to work on implements and attachments more often than the tractor itself, if you go with something less than 20 years old at least. You can work on a new tractor just as easy, maybe somethings are easier, as an old tractor. I was dead set on getting a manual or hydro assist manual tractor, but glad I conceded and got an HST machine, and you won't find many if any HST tractors if you are only shopping old ones. Sometimes newer things are better. Sure, a new tractor will have a DPF filter, but it's not a big deal. I prefer having cleaner air around my property anyway and it can regen while still using the tractor.

We got Mitsubishi MT18 about 6 years ago. Been great little tractor. No PS. Had SB48 Snowblower for couple of years. Just sold that. Found we like blade better and 28" Snowblower I use. It was $5300 with Plow.

IMG_7142.JPG

I am working on selling my ATV and want to buy an older compact tractor (18-24hp). I don't want to use this as a lawn mower, but for more true tractor uses. I prefer much older models (early 90s or older) because of the prices and I just think they were built better. My must haves are 4x4, pto and a FEL. As I search the web, I find a lot of tractors that I really like but many of them do not have a FEL. Another search does not show many options for used FELs (I'm sure many people are not removing a FEL to sell it separate). Is there a good, inexpensive option for me to buy a tractor without a FEL and add one?
I wouldn't buy one without the FEL all ready on there. I just up graded my Agco ST-25 HST because I wanted a loader on it. The cost of adding a loader to that tractor wasn't worth the trouble. I had no luck finding a used loader that would fit the tractor. I would find one with 4x4 HST PTO and a FEL. HST is one of those things after you have it you wonder how you got along without it.

I wouldn't buy one without the FEL all ready on there. I just up graded my Agco ST-25 HST because I wanted a loader on it. The cost of adding a loader to that tractor wasn't worth the trouble. I had no luck finding a used loader that would fit the tractor. I would find one with 4x4 HST PTO and a FEL. HST is one of those things after you have it you wonder how you got along without it.
I almost always prefer a manual transmission, but was so glad I got the HST. It makes tight quarters work a breeze.

Reactions: duramaxman05
I agree, I had a geared tractor ( JD 770 - great machine if you can find one. As are most if not all of the Yanmar build JD's ) and it was miserable when doing any kind of loader work. Current tractor is a CVT, and like you said it makes you wonder how you got along without it.

Reactions: duramaxman05
Loaders for used tractors are hard to find, even for common tractor models. They're not cheap either. Adapting a generic loader will be a lot of custom fab work, It's cheaper in the long run, and faster, to get a tractor that has a loader already.

Agreed about the power steering. I had a Kubota B7100 which is 16hp and didn't have power steering. Even though the loader capacity was only ~700 lbs it was hard to manuver at low speed with a full bucket.
I just found out that dealers are having a hard time getting new loaders for new tractors. We are getting ready to pull the trigger on a new deere 3033r or kubota l3560le. Deere is 2 months out and the kubota tractor is in stock but waiting on the loader.

I dont know, I am kinda spoiled with my "compact tractor" Plus I paid less that what current tractors are going for. ;)

PA040282.JPG trench2.jpg

I just found out that dealers are having a hard time getting new loaders for new tractors. We are getting ready to pull the trigger on a new deere 3033r or kubota l3560le. Deere is 2 months out and the kubota tractor is in stock but waiting on the loader.
I heard a fair amount of this talk back in June when I bought my MX6000 with FEL. I was going to buy a L4701 with FEL and it got sold by another salesmen. I got on the phone one Monday morning and started calling dealers within a 500 mile radius of home. Heard a lot of no tractors no loaders list price need a credit card deposit to hold to just come look at it. Found a dealer with a MX-6000 FEL loader all in a crate and a great cash deal. So I bought it only had to spend a half of a day in the pickup to go get it. Call around before you pull the trigger.

I heard a fair amount of this talk back in June when I bought my MX6000 with FEL. I was going to buy a L4701 with FEL and it got sold by another salesmen. I got on the phone one Monday morning and started calling dealers within a 500 mile radius of home. Heard a lot of no tractors no loaders list price need a credit card deposit to hold to just come look at it. Found a dealer with a MX-6000 FEL loader all in a crate and a great cash deal. So I bought it only had to spend a half of a day in the pickup to go get it. Call around before you pull the trigger.
The dealer I talked to had 2 tractors in stock but are waiting on the loaders. Another dealer I talked to has 2 in a crate and also has the loaders but they don't have enough help in the shop to get one set up. The local dealer is also $500 to $700 cheaper. Plus the salesman is my old ag teacher.

So I found a local guy that has a Ford loader for a compact tractor not on a machine. Hasn't given me a price. Could I make a Ford loader fit a kubota or yanmar tractor without a ton of work?

So I found a local guy that has a Ford loader for a compact tractor not on a machine. Hasn't given me a price. Could I make a Ford loader fit a kubota or yanmar tractor without a ton of work?
You aren't too far from me. You are welcome to come over and look at my tractor.

Do you have a tractor for sale or do you have a set up similar to what I am looking at? I would love to take a look.
Mine is a newer machine, it looks like you are looking at older Yanmar tractor ( please correct me if I am wrong ). You are still welcome to come take a look. You could save yourself a trip further west and see the same tractor ( YT347 ) at Holmes Rental in Mt Vernon.

I think my neighbor up the road has a older Yanmar with a loader. I could ask him if you could take a look at his.

I would love to buy a newer tractor and have no problem with the yanmars. Unfortunately, I'm not in a situation to buy a newer tractor. I'm hoping to sell my 4 wheeler for $4,500-$5,000 and then buy a tractor in the price range. Decent tractors that work exist in that range on marketplace and I'm not afraid to work on it a little if needed. I can afford the tractor without a loader and would get by without one for now, but want to add one at least in the future. I have some basic metal working skills and have been looking at some of the DIY kits today also. I could make it fit any tractor I bought then. Either way, I need so get something to mow my yard this year.

I would love to buy a newer tractor and have no problem with the yanmars. Unfortunately, I'm not in a situation to buy a newer tractor. I'm hoping to sell my 4 wheeler for $4,500-$5,000 and then buy a tractor in the price range. Decent tractors that work exist in that range on marketplace and I'm not afraid to work on it a little if needed. I can afford the tractor without a loader and would get by without one for now, but want to add one at least in the future. I have some basic metal working skills and have been looking at some of the DIY kits today also. I could make it fit any tractor I bought then. Either way, I need so get something to mow my yard this year.
Years ago I put a lot of loaders on tractors that the loader wasn't built for. In the good old days tractors had full frames and heavy rear axles. These subcompact and compact tractors are different and a lot harder to mount a loader on them that is not designed for that tractor. Have I seen it done yes have I seen someone break the tractor into yes. Do your self a favor and just save some more money and wait and shop and find one with the right loader on it. You will be happier in the long run.