Connecting a Jotul F400 to a Selkirk 6" DSP Double wall stove pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TDurdin

Feb 15, 2018
Kingston, NY
Hello, I am new to this forum and new to woodstoves. I am currently installing a Jotul F400 (Single door) woodstove that I purchased used. I am planning to run Selkirk/Metalbestos stove and chimney pipe (already purchased) straight up through the living room ceiling, into a closet, and then out the 2nd floor roof.

My current obstacle is connecting the 6" stove outlet collar to the 6" DSP stove pipe. I have the 6" DSP telescoping pipe and it looks like I need to use an adapter as the female end of the stovepipe is not wide enough to fit over the stove outlet collar.

My question is what Selkirk stove adapter works best with the Jotul F400? or is there another option that works better?

Selkirk adapter options:

Stove Adapter DSP6SA-1. Looks to be the standard adapter. My concern is the dimensions are the same as the stovepipe that does not fit.
Flush Stove Adapter DSPF6SA-1. Used for stoves with recessed outlets. This looks like it might fit over the stove outlet collar but I do not want to purchase it if it doesn't fit.

I appreciate any input, thoughts, and ideas.

Thank you
TDurdin

The Selkirk stove adapter is larger in diameter than the stove pipe. DSP pipe is 6.5" OD. The Stove Adapter DSP6SA-1 is 7" OD.
Screen Shot 2018-02-15 at 12.45.29 PM.png

Yes, you are right! Thank you.

Good deal. Keep us posted on your progress. The chimney pipe in the closet will need to be chased (enclosed) with a firestop at the closet ceiling + an attic insulation shield up above.

Good deal. Keep us posted on your progress. The chimney pipe in the closet will need to be chased (enclosed) with a firestop at the closet ceiling + an attic insulation shield up above.

Ok so I have made some progress but I have a couple questions.

I have not heard of a firestop before...If this is needed I will install it but I have not seen it yet in the Selkirk installation guide.

Also...as long as the double insulated stove pipe (in the closet) is clear of combustibles by 2 inches and any insulation areas are boxed off it will meet code correct?

I have attached pictures. All stove/chimney pipe in the pictures are just dry fit at this point.

Attachments

• IMG_20180303_171942992.jpg
    IMG_20180303_171942992.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 471
  • IMG_20180303_171945818.jpg
    IMG_20180303_171945818.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 460
  • IMG_20180303_172000541.jpg
    IMG_20180303_172000541.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 440
  • IMG_20180303_172031866.jpg
    IMG_20180303_172031866.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 450
  • IMG_20180224_134337481_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180224_134337481_HDR.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 685
This illustration is from Selkirk's Supervent Pro installation guide. Note the firestop and joist shield at the floor penetration.
Screen Shot 2018-03-16 at 11.29.45 AM.png
These are the parts for shielding.
Screen Shot 2018-03-16 at 11.35.22 AM.png

Ok, so it looks I just need the firestop at the closest floor (2nd floor). The next chimney goes through the roof next.

Is there a knee wall space or gap above the closet ceiling before the roof? It looks like it, but this is hard to tell from the picture.

Here is the layout

upload_2018-3-16_15-56-12.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I have installed an attic insulation shield between the 1st and 2nd floor. Next I am planning to frame a box around the chimney.

Couple questions?

1. How far does the attic insulation shield need to be from any combustible?
2. Do I need a firestop going thru the roof of the second floor? (see pictures)

2472.jpg IMG_20180303_172031866.jpg

Sorry, I missed your posting #9. That is a different type of install. The ceiling support box is the fire stop. There is no harm with installing the attic insulation shield over it, but it is not necessary. To answer question #1, there is no clearance needed from the attic insulation shield. The shield enforces the 2" clearance requirement for the chimney pipe. A firestop at the roof is not required if there is no possibility of insulation being blown in between the ceiling joists. If there is a possibility then due to the slope of the roof, a bit of custom work on the shield would be required.

No problem. I appreciate all your help. Looks like I am good shape then. I will frame a box around the chimney and finish the external portion.

Thanks.

The Selkirk adapter above is double walled. The crimped end fits inside the outer telescoping pipe for the right fit .

Another question...when framing and finishing the walls surrounding the chimney pipe (insuring the 2inch clearance is met) is there a preferred wall material to finish with? sheetrock? plywood? other?

I had to remove some drywall to reroute some wiring and instead of putting up sheet rock again I would probably like to use plywood as it is cleaner.

Any thoughts?

You can use whatever you wish, as long as clearances are met.

Reactions: TDurdin
If the choice of materials is arbitrary I'd probably use a lightweight cement board.

1/2" cement board with ceramic spacers is ideal for wall protection....and safe as BeGreen says.
Ours are painted w hi temp black paint. The edges need to be filled just for looks since they are rough.
Cheap and to spec.

Reactions: TDurdin
On another note...when connecting my 6-inch DSP Telescoping Double wall stove pipe to the 6-inch finish support (FSP) and the chimney pipe adapter...does the top of the DSP stove pipe fit between the bottom of the 6-inch pipe adapter and the finish support (FSP)?

My concern is that the DSP stove pipe is not fitting inside the pipe adapter thus possibly allowing for smoke to exit this joint.

Please see the picture below.

Last edited:
upload_2018-5-18_16-7-34.png

Does this look correct?

Yes, then it gets the finishing band.