Cooking thread, anyone?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
that's looks great. one question. does the book say cast iron is ok? i say that because if you heat cast iron to quick it might break. i just got a new electric stove and it heats water much quicker than the old one, and they are both glass tops. nice and easy to clean. always wanted a induction stove but just don't have the green for it

Reactions: PaulOinMA
Hadn't thought of that. We use a cast iron, in addition to other cookware.

that's looks great. one question. does the book say cast iron is ok? i say that because if you heat cast iron to quick it might break. i just got a new electric stove and it heats water much quicker than the old one, and they are both glass tops. nice and easy to clean. always wanted a induction stove but just don't have the green for it
Yes, it's ok, and in fact it's recommend. You're heating up the pan quickly but also evenly. The magnets are putting energy throughout the pan so you aren't just putting the cold pan on a hot electric burner and shocking it where it could be damaged. Its a really cool system.

When did you get your stove? Right now there are plenty of basic 4 burner induction ranges that are the same cost as a glass top electric. Around $1000. It gets expensive when you add stuff like the double oven and more burners etc.

Reactions: fbelec
It got a really good deal on a single burner induction cooktop at a church yard sale. They said they plugged it in and it didn’t get hot;). 25$.

I use it most for beer. And it turns a Dutch oven into a crockpot.

Posting here here as my beer thread went nowhere.

My first non alcoholic beer. A chocolate wheat stout. Poured from my nitrogen tap. I’m really impressed. 5 gallon cost 12$. Had two for lunch!

Equipment I used was a big mesh bag, 3 gallon pot, and 7 gallon beer bucket and a carboy.

A nice wheat ale will finish next weekend!

E93756A4-80D7-4746-BCE6-744E10AF536E.jpeg

Spaetzle with Kielbasa and Caramelized Onion yesterday. Really good. Also on page 14 in this thread. :)

IMG_2547 - Copy.JPG

Roast chicken and vegetables. 3-lb. bag of small potatoes, purple, red, and yellow. Carrot, celery, 2 mesh bags Cipollini onions. No. 12 skillet. Chicken was in the freezer forever. Nice to get it out of there.

IMG_2552 - Copy.JPG

Snowy today. Made plett this morning for my wife. She'll have them all day. Little Swedish Pancakes. Picture on January 7, 2022 in here, page 22.

It’s been a while since I’ve posted, but my daughter cooked dinner last night. She’s been wanting to try ”pickle soup” for a while, and I’ve not been so sure about that. We let her choose a recipe yesterday and make the attempt. It was a potato base with carrots and celery, and there was butter, flour, and cream to thicken. Then she added chopped pickles and pickle brine. When it was all mixed, she garnished it with pickle slices and dill. Five of the six of us really enjoyed it. My younger daughter didn’t hate it, but she would have preferred a potato soup with pickles on the side, she said.

E61D9C1A-3EFD-4769-96E2-A695F8C125EF.jpeg

My wife's birthday is Cinco de Mayo. Made Pork & Tortilla Casserole. Really good. Had leftovers over rice yesterday. Will have it again tomorrow. Froze the rest in four, two-serving containers to have over rice. Recipe in next post.

20230505_180529 - Copy.jpg 20230505_180803 - Copy.jpg

Reactions: ispinwool
Pork & Tortilla Casserole (Chilaquiles De Puerco)

Mexican Cooking Class Cookbook. By the Editors of Consumer Guide. Lincolnwood, IL: Publications International, 1990. Spiral bound hardcover.

8 (6-inch or 15-cm) corn tortillas, preferably day old
2 pounds (900 g) boneless pork shoulder, cut into 1 ½-inch cubes
2 medium white onions, thinly sliced lengthwise
1 teaspoon salt
Water
Lard or vegetable oil
2 fresh poblano chilies, roasted, peeled, seeded, deveined (see page 5), chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
½ teaspoon (2 mL) ground cumin
I can (13 ounces or 370 g) tomatillos, undrained, coarsely chopped
1 cup (250 mL) whipping cream
¼ cup (60 mL) coarsely chopped fresh coriander
1 cup (250 mL) shredded queso Chihuahua or Monterey jack cheese
1 cup (250 mL) shredded mild cheddar cheese
5 or 6 tomato slices, cut into halves
½ cup (125 mL) Mexican Cream (see index) or sour cream
Fresh coriander sprigs

Stack tortillas. Cut in half; then cut crosswise into ½ inch (1.3-cm) wide strips. Spread loosely on wire rack; let stand 1 to 2 hours to dry slightly.

Combine pork, 1 onion and salt in a large saucepan; add water to cover pork. Heat over high heat to boiling; reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, until pork is tender, 1 ½ hours.

Melt enough lard in deep, heavy, large skillet for ½-inch (1.3-cm) depth. Heat to 375 ℉ (190 ℃); adjust heat to maintain temperature. Fry tortilla strips in lard, about ½ at a time, stirring and turning occasionally, until crisp, about 1 minute. Remove with slotted spoon; drain on paper toweling.

Heat 2 tablespoons (30 mL) lard in 10-inch (25-cm) skillet over medium heat until hot. Add remaining onion; sauté until soft, about 4 minutes. Add chilies, garlic and cumin; sauté 1 minute. Stir in undrained tomatillos. Heat to boiling; reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, 15 minutes. Add whipping cream to skillet, cook, uncovered, over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until mixture is reduced to 2 2/3 cups (660 mL), 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in chopped coriander

Heat oven to 375 ℉ (190 ℃). Mix cheeses in small bowl. Drain pork; using 2 forks, pull into coarse shreds.

Spread ½ of tortilla strips in greased, shallow 2 ½-quart (2.5-L) casserole. Add layers of ½ each pork, cream mixture and cheeses in that order. Repeat all layers.

Bake until hot throughout and golden on top, 25 to 30 minutes. Garnish with tomato slices, Mexican Cream and coriander sprigs.

Makes 4 to 6 servings.

Page 5

HELPFUL PREPARATION TECHNIQUES

Roast, peel, seed and devein fresh chilies. Using tongs to hold chili, place each chili directly in medium flame of gas burner; roast, turning as needed, until chili is evenly blistered and charred. Place roasted chili into plastic bag immediately; close the plastic bag. Repeat with remaining chilies. (Or place chilies on foil-lined broiler rack; roast, turning as needed, 2 to 3 inches or 5 to 8 cm from broiler heat source until evenly blistered and charred.)

Let roasted chilies stand in closed plastic bag 20 minutes. Place each chili under cold, running water rubbing and pulling off charred skin. Slit chili open lengthwise using scissors or knife. Carefully pull out and discard seeds and veins. Rinse well and drain; pat dry with paper toweling.

First time ever cooking duck. Did it on the kamado grill. I’ll do it better next time. One question why don’t we eat more duck? It was great. Like really good. Better than chicken. I paid $3.29 a pound for them. Before and after

023B17AC-CE11-477C-BAAC-599E3D6ACA7B.jpeg C4263394-07AA-4972-901A-E55666F7578D.jpeg

First time ever cooking duck. Did it on the kamado grill. I’ll do it better next time. One question why don’t we eat more duck? It was great. Like really good. Better than chicken. I paid $3.29 a pound for them. Before and after

View attachment 318003 View attachment 318004
They are delicious, I'm actually making 2 for Thanksgiving this year. The problem is they are way more expensive. A duck costs about $30-35 around here whereas a chicken is like $9.

Duck is a top 5 food for me.

@EbS-P , where do you get your duck? The price you mentioned seems really unlikely at an average grocery store around here.

I think I’ve eaten duck once in my life when I was little and my uncle made it for a Christmas dinner perhaps. I think I remember it being good, but that’s about it. Yours certainly looked tasty.

The Asian grocery has them around here. Saw some mallards swimming around today too. Getting your own is always a worthy backup plan!

@EbS-P , where do you get your duck? The price you mentioned seems really unlikely at an average grocery store around here.

I think I’ve eaten duck once in my life when I was little and my uncle made it for a Christmas dinner perhaps. I think I remember it being good, but that’s about it. Yours certainly looked tasty.
Lidl. I won’t ever see again. They get different things in from time to time and we never see them again.

Paella tonight!! I nailed it. If do say so myself. But we ate it all with my parents help. So 4 adults and 5 kids polished off this whole pan which had 4 cups of uncooked rice 2 pounds of shrimp, 5 pounds of muscles, 5 chicken apple sausages and a duck breast. Rosalie loves shrimp and learned how Tom pull the tail off tonight. And found out she a muscle fan too.

I think the pan can hold another cup or two of rice. And I can get another pound of shrimp in. But muscles.. I’m not buying 10 pounds. That won’t fit. I didn’t hesitate to buy a 25 pound sack of Cal Rose rice for tonight. The realized as I was putting it away I bought 25 pounds of long grain white 3 weeks ago and still had at least 8 pounds left from another 25 pound sack.

3CBF14B2-C938-473A-B5E9-9FB3523B29AC.jpeg C5D5A4C1-6DE9-4D32-8A6E-4F39D6C5AB5F.jpeg C50CFDA9-F1C9-405B-9DC1-BEF81DD11089.jpeg

Lidl. I won’t ever see again. They get different things in from time to time and we never see them again.
I know what you mean. I made a trip to Aldi last week for milk [and they were out], but I did see the last four ducks. They were higher priced than yours but still a great price, so I got two of them for the freezer. Perhaps I’ll make one for Christmas.

Your paella looks great, too. I love shrimp, but we have shellfish allergies in the house now, so I can’t cook with seafood the way I used to. It’s a sad thing.

Reactions: EbS-P
Looks good! Just mentioned yesterday that chili is our New Years Day meal.

Baked my first no knead dutch oven bread last night. Did a 12+ hour rise with a three day refrig ferment. That extra time is supposed to allow it develop more complex flavor. Forgot to score it and lost the shape going into the hot dutch oven but that that didn’t hurt the funny looking loaf’s wonderful flavor. Have dabbled some with bread but when it comes to taste this has to be the best. Got this recipe link from a son

06CB1BF1-B6A4-43C1-A256-7577533B9E8C.jpeg

Reactions: ispinwool and EbS-P
Venison stew is one of our favorites around here, @Caw .

@Max W , I may just want to give that a try for our Thanksgiving stuffing bread. It’s been a while since I’ve done a no-knead loaf, but we enjoy them. Having a breadmaker makes me use it the majority of the time.

I’ve been using up some of the last fresh peppers from my mother’s garden. I made ratatouille last night with frozen eggplant and tomatoes. This sloppy joe mix from last week used not only the fresh peppers but the last frozen tomatoes to make the puree. We still have frozen peppers, but the fresh ones are officially gone [at least the bells; we still have jalapeños in the refrigerator, and a loaded plant on the sunporch.]

IMG_3246.jpegIMG_3247.jpeg