Cooking thread, anyone?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
If you keep showing pictures like that, you just might make me reconsider (but not really seriously, I don’t think). Those look delicious. My twelve-year-old son is lobbying for me to use a smoker box on our gas grill but even that is not really on my radar screen.
Smoke isn’t everyone’s favorite flavor. But when you cook it you get to choose how smoky, for just the charcoal grill flavor to heaven mesquite. After getting the grill we quit buying ground beef. And if my beef farming grandfather found out we only have beef once a month he’d probably give me a really long quiet stare. Quality over quantity. At the end of the day I think it’s revealed we all like low and slow tone medium rare unless it’s ribs.

I have a horizontal offset smoker and don't like overly smokey food.

I like real smoked food. Don't like the heavy smokey prepared things like some prepared BBQ sauces. Prefer to make my own, though some brands I like.

paul what are those brands you like. been trying a bunch of different one's lately looking for the best one in my taste. i need to eat no sugar foods but not a fan of them

I chanced on Sticky Fingers on sale at Market 32 (Price Chopper) and was very pleased. Have tried two of them. Liked both.

IM me an e-mail address, and I'll e-mail sauce recipes I've typed up from old cookbooks to play with to get just how you like. Fun playing with sauce recipes.

Reactions: ispinwool
Just made a batch of English toffee. Very easy. Haven't done it in a long time. May make Swedish toffee next week.

IMG_2536 - Copy.JPG

Dry brined nitrate free pastrami! A little concerned I over salted it. We will find out in a few days. Will dry brine for 3. Smoke for maybe 6 hours to about 180F and then cut into potions to freeze. Will steam to 200F and serve.

533D5170-D9F5-40F5-AB10-5F7702C9D945.jpeg

Bacon, egg, and cheese on a toasted croissant for New Year's Day breakfast before church. Griswold square egg skillet.

IMG_2538 - Copy.JPG IMG_2539 - Copy.JPG

New Year's Day chili. My wife always made chili on NYD growing up. I made it on Sunday. Recipe is a variation on Perry Como's Favorite Chili from: Neely, Martina and William. The International Chili Society Official Chili Cookbook. New York: St. Martin’s Press, 1981. Excellent cookbook.

The ICS web site: https://chilicookoff.com/

IMG_2540 - Copy.JPG

A second batch of English toffee for the open house at my wife's church parsonage a few weeks ago. My wife was on vacation with her mom, so I went myself. Again, very easy to make. You just stand there and watch it. :)

IMG_2537 - Copy.JPG

I found a couple of folks on another social site that are challenging themselves to make their own bread from scratch for at least a year. I think it's a delightful challenge! I was up early today and made 3 loaves.

IMG_20230103_162802642.jpg

love homemade bread just can't seem to get a handle on the dough. pizza making is awful. bread i've done following recipes. i try not to knead by hand because of gout in the hands. maybe that's it.

and paul you hit a weak spot. i love breakfast sandwiches the only thing i do different is use a bagel

Reactions: PaulOinMA
love homemade bread just can't seem to get a handle on the dough. pizza making is awful. bread i've done following recipes. i try not to knead by hand because of gout in the hands. maybe that's it.
ouch! that would be painful....maybe use a no-knead recipe?
If you're curious, check out www.thefreshloaf.com and look around for 'no-knead'. Those folks take
bread seriously! :) (you do have to sign up on the site to ask questions but not to peruse the site
for ideas/recipes).
p.s.--my son-in-law has gout flare-ups too...he has removed as much sugar from his diet as he
can find and has had good results...maybe give that a shot and see if it helps you?

I need to get back to more bread baking. Do lots of other baking. Cinnamon rolls, cornbread, brownies, scones. Fresh bread smells so good!

Fresh bread smells so good!
yes it does. i think as much as apple pie.

off topic but try removing fat from the diet. i had a hamburger tonight for dinner and am all swollen up from it. hamburger and salami are my trigger points

bread dough i almost have. in the middle of the pandemic when i was home our local cable tv company had a 10 part class on tv for free. it came from the bread chef at johnson and wales school.

There's a culinary arts museum at J&W that pretty neat.

Yes. Johnson & Wales was mentioned above.

i'm not to bright when it comes to the abbreviations

Got my new induction stove installed! We're absolutely loving it. I can boil a pot of water for pasta in just a few minutes and the instant temperature control is great for simmering. The double oven is great for oven dinners and sides etc. Just a little painting to do now.....

PXL_20230111_154346629.jpg

What brand?? And is that a rectangular “burner” on the left?

Edit.. got pick out a single tile and glue up there.

Its a Cafe which is just a luxury version of GE (think Drolet/Osburn). It has 4 burners. 1 big, 2 medium, 1 small, and then 1 regular electric warming zone. The two left medium burners can be linked and used as a giant rectangular burner for a big skillet which is awesome. Makes breakfast a breeze.

Its just amazing how much faster induction is than electric and gas. Cast iron is ready to sautee in 1-2 minutes. Water is boiling for pasta in 3 minutes. I can go from a boil to a simmer and back instantly. Not to mention it's more efficient than both. I highly recommend it.

Reactions: ispinwool and EbS-P