cords of firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
when you say 1 cord of wood.... do you mean full cord or face cord?
im kinda getting confused as we use cords as face cords in my area
pricing for a face cord here is between $110 and 125 CAD for mixed hardwood dry 1 year usually
what are youy paying??

Full cords - as in a stack 4'x4'x8' or any stack that occupies 128 cu ft of space. Face cords are considered 1/3 of a full cord but only if the stack is 16"x4'x8' - and there in lies the confusion with face cords, everyone cuts wood to a different length.

I cut my own unless someone is giving away cherry wood. I have an almost 23 in box so I want my cuts 19-22 inch.
South Jersey full cords mixed hardwood is 170-220.
Oak is plentiful, that's why I'll take the cherry for a quicker turnaround time to stove.

There is no legal definition of a "face cord"...in most places its technically illegal to sell firewood using any description other than a full 128 CF cord, or fractions of a full cord. Rick and face cord are still used though...
Here is the Ohio rule...same/similar in most states though...probably in Canada too.

Last edited:
$200 full cord delivered. Oak. Usually needs an extra year of drying after it’s delivered “seasoned”.

$85 a cord in 8’ sticks. Oak and 10 cord load - up in northern Cheezeland... also plan min two years cut and split before burning it.... Dan

Back when I sold wood years ago I would get a new customer calling wanting a cord of wood and I would find out what they were burning in and how much they used a year. They always wanted a cord. They would say that's what I always buy. I would show up with a cord and it was always the same. So you have a couple places your going. No that's a cord of wood. They had been paying for a cord and getting around half or less at cord price. I did sell to a lot of folks that had a rack they wanted filled up for a fireplace they used on the weekends. I would measure the rack and come up with a price off a cord.

Reactions: shawntitan
I cut my own unless someone is giving away cherry wood. I have an almost 23 in box so I want my cuts 19-22 inch.
South Jersey full cords mixed hardwood is 170-220.
Oak is plentiful, that's why I'll take the cherry for a quicker turnaround time to stove.
Are you IN Wildwood, “Wildwoods”? Don’t see many other SJ folks here, I’m in Cumberland County

$125 per pickup truck load around here but what that usually ends up being is one scoop full in a bobcat.

I remember when I was 16 my friends dad asked me how much my dad wanted for a cord of wood. I told him $30. My dad had me load the truck and take it to him. After I unloaded and stacked it he got mad because it was a face cord. I didn’t know the difference as a kid. I told my dad and he said give him his money back and tell him to keep the wood.

Up to $450 a cord for spruce in the big city,not split or stacked.
Government keeps messing with the firewood producers.Delaying cutting permits, artificially driving up the price of wood because they mess with the supply.This fall none of the big producers had permits to cut.Once the cut wood was sold the prices started to climb again.

There is no legal definition of a "face cord"...in most places its technically illegal to sell firewood using any description other than a full 128 CF cord, or fractions of a full cord. Rick and face cord are still used though...
Here is the Ohio rule...same/similar in most states though...probably in Canada too.
Actually there's such a thing as a legal definition of a "face cord", at least in New York State. According to the agriculture an markets law it is any "well fitted" stack of wood that is 4' x 8', containing splits of a uniform length, with such length having been agreed upon by the buyer and the seller. So I use 22" face cords for the boiler and 12" face cords for the parlor stove.

Reactions: brenndatomu
$475.00 now
The stockpiles must be getting small.