Cost of FREE Firewood?? was $31 for mine.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
joecool85 said:
My wood is 10 miles away. 20 miles round trip. My truck hauls 1/4 cord at a time, so 80 miles per cord. I get 17mpg hauling wood. 4.7 gallons of fuel in the truck, I'd imagine a cord of wood will take about 1/3 gallon in the saw. So call it 5 gallons of fuel. At $3.58/gallon that's $17.90, call it $18. Add $3 to cover bar and chain oil and 2 stroke mix and that makes it makes it $21/cord. I should include the price of the saws I use to. $200 for one and $350 for the other. Both should be good for 10 years minimum at 5 cords/year. So that adds $11 per cord. This brings my total cost to $32 per cord, not including time or wear and tear on my truck.

So, add in maybe $10 per cord for wear on the truck and that gets me to $42/cord.

Then add in my time (which I wouldn't count since I generally have fun doing it, but let's add it in anyway).

I get $15/hr at my day job. I'm not totally sure on the time, but I'd hazard a guess of 2 hours for cutting, 1.5 hours for hauling and 3.5 hours for splitting (I split by hand). So 7 hours for each cord. At $15/hr that would add in $105 per cord. That would bring it to $147 per cord if I "paid myself" for my time.

So after all that rambling, since I don't count my time in there, I would say that my "free wood" costs me $42/cord.

**edit**
If I do the math as the OP did, just for fuel and oil I would be at only $21 per cord.

Now that gets complicated.
Makes me want to say free. Like going fishing is fun & free (less license, gas, time, & equipment) :lol:
Free doesn't mean cheap ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.