Cottonwood ? ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ZZ Tom

Burning Hunk
Feb 3, 2014
SL,UT
www.garnerfoto.com
I called on some available wood, and asked what type. They say cottonwood. I know its a low BTU wood. The picture they have doesn't look like cottonwood I'm familiar with. I thought cottonwood had deep furrowed bark but this looks almost scaly. Any thoughts???

Attachments

• cottonwood.JPG
    cottonwood.JPG
    176.4 KB · Views: 213
Hard to say... The cottonwood I picked up had deep furrows similar to locust. This one was about 28" diameter. Sometimes the bark can be deceiving.

Attachments

• 20161209_084502.jpg
    20161209_084502.jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Reactions: ZZ Tom
I burn a ton of this type of wood, bark falls off easy, the trees seem to die off from wood pecker damage or something. I get mine from a wet swamp. Though it was some type of basswood or poplar. Interested in what the experts say. Wood is very white, trees grow very staight and tall. Great for starting fires, splits pretty easy. Bark is always off the upper tree.

Sent from my SM-G900R6 using Tapatalk

looks almost like a willow to me.

Aspen

Reactions: ZZ Tom and Lakeside
Looks like the base of a poplar. Further up it will get white, like a birch but "waxy" to the touch with smoother bark.

Aspen, glad I let somebody else take it.

Looks like cotton wood to me.