cover the wood pile or not???????????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
woodburn said:
...when air temps are below freezing, snow only evaporates if direct sunlight heats it to above freezing temps...

Not true: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sublimation_(chemistry)

Taster's Choice...there are many others...all of them, in fact.

i only cover mine when it starts to snow otherwise it stays uncovered.

woodburn said:
Those are good points, especially about the underwear, but when air temps are below freezing, snow only evaporates if direct sunlight heats it to above freezing temps. Think about how quickly snow would evaporate on a July day. I think there's no comparison in how much the wood dries in summer as opposed to winter. Plus factor in the longer days with more sun. Of course, my piles are stacked in direct sun for the bulk of the day, so maybe one wouldn't notice quite as much of a difference if stacked in shade.

yes i agree if you are out west in arizona with low rh but up here in the ne where it is humid in the summer ... my bet is you'll get just as much in our dry winter as you would in our humid summers... i
i got wood last year in the fall it was not seasoned call it green ,... by feb -mar it had all the cracks and was showing signs of seasoning....
it showed more than my wood this summer

stanleyjohn said:
Todd said:
Depends on the weather. If it rains the tarps get rolled down, takes about 30 seconds. I leave them covered when the snow flies.

nice set up todd! what do you use for weight on the side you roll up!2by4 wood??.also how does to stand up to the wind?I may do the same with my outside wood piles,

Yes 2x4's that hook into the tarps gromets. For wind I use bunji cords on the ends of the 2x4's and hook them to the fence posts.

woodburn said:
Those are good points, especially about the underwear, but when air temps are below freezing, snow only evaporates if direct sunlight heats it to above freezing temps. Think about how quickly snow would evaporate on a July day. I think there's no comparison in how much the wood dries in summer as opposed to winter. Plus factor in the longer days with more sun. Of course, my piles are stacked in direct sun for the bulk of the day, so maybe one wouldn't notice quite as much of a difference if stacked in shade.

http://www.wrds.uwyo.edu/wrds/rmfres/evaporat.html

I know it is true because you can see the stuff evaporating off the snow around here. At midnight.

Yes & no~
weather.com is like a bible to me, I now get weather updates on my cell phone too.
I don't mind rolling & unrolling the sides when it is nice & sunny out.

I like Todds set up, wish I had an area like that to set something like that up.

All the wood I intend to burn this upcoming season is either under roof or under eave (no tarps). The under eave stuff may occasionally see a dusting of snow, no big deal. I'll have about 8 or 9 additional cords, in various states of splitness, in a heap on a gravel drive south of my shop/garage building that I intend to do absolutely nothing with so far as covering goes. It'll get rained on and it'll get snowed on, and next year I'll process it and it will be ready to burn in '09-'10. It's seasoned now, it ain't gonna "unseason". All the surface moisture will dry out next summer. Rick

now uncovered till fri supposed to hit 80-90s this week

Did it finally dry out in New England ? You folks were getting drenched ! We've had less than .50 " rain the past 35 days, so it's been excellent this summer for the wood here in W. Michigan

11 Bravo said:
Did it finally dry out in New England ? You folks were getting drenched ! We've had less than .50 " rain the past 35 days, so it's been excellent this summer for the wood here in W. Michigan

Not a drop of rain in almost two weeks.

can you season split stacked wood in a garage?? how long do you think it would take to season??

John

johnnywarm said:
11 Bravo said:

you jinxed us tropical depression/storm headed thid way fri -sat all day

Johnny - Don't do it, I've made that mistake. Last year I stacked in my garage, and it didn't dry adequately. This year I'm seasoning outside, and it even looks 100% dryer than the wood seasoned an equal amount of time in the garage. It needs sun and air to dry, which you won't find in the garage. I plan on moving the wood into the garage in October.

johnnywarm said:
can you season split stacked wood in a garage?? how long do you think it would take to season??

John
of course it can be done but is it woth it??? if you do do it i would suggest a fan running and to speed the process a dehumidfier

iceman said:
johnnywarm said:
11 Bravo said:

you jinxed us tropical depression/storm headed thid way fri -sat all day

There only showing showers on sat.

J-Man said:
Johnny - Don't do it, I've made that mistake. Last year I stacked in my garage, and it didn't dry adequately. This year I'm seasoning outside, and it even looks 100% dryer than the wood seasoned an equal amount of time in the garage. It needs sun and air to dry, which you won't find in the garage. I plan on moving the wood into the garage in October.

Thanks J-man.

iceman said:
johnnywarm said:

John
of course it can be done but is it woth it??? if you do do it i would suggest a fan running and to speed the process a dehumidfier

Not worth it Iceman. Thanks John

Covered the top of it now. It was to painful to watch the wood get rained on. Kids saw me out there with the umbrella and thought I was nuts...must be :)

well with 3 to 5"s coming Saturday its getting covered.i will remove it Sunday.

johnnywarm said:
well with 3 to 5"s coming Saturday its getting covered.i will remove it Sunday.

thought you said showers>>>>lol
i am covering the sides for this one

To the op--do you cover your head when it rains? Whatever happened to common sense? :roll:

sonnyinbc said:
To the op--do you cover your head when it rains? Whatever happened to common sense? :roll:

I like to think are heads are a bit different then a split :wow: but you never know :)

Status
Not open for further replies.