Covid lockdown???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL, yes people eat hot dogs and at McDonalds, but are suddenly concerned about what is in the vaccine?

It has nothing to do with those things, since when is it an acceptable part of conversation to ask about my medical history?

I have no issue taking the vaccine, but I do have issue with someone in my face telling me thirty reasons why I should.

The funny thing is in Canada a lot of the people that pushed for the legalization of marijuana because "my body, my choice" are some of the most fervent advocators of forced vaccination.

Reactions: JimBear
I will not be surprised if the future variants make the vaccine ineffective. Then there will have to be a new vaccine, which requires more testing, etc. I don't think global bureaucracies can keep ahead of the virus.

Over half the engineering department where I work is anti mask and anti vax. Between that and posting political stuff all over the office. Even after watching one of our shop guys get seriously hospitalized for it for over a week. Took him months to feel close to normal again.

I don’t wish for anyone to die, but I kinda hope the new variant knocks one of them down enough to change their mind.

My condolences for you having to deal with that. I have been remote for 15 years and plan to retire long before I have to ever go back to an office and deal with that crap. No doubt when they get sick, they will be ones complaining that the health care system is all backed up.

Over half the engineering department where I work is anti mask and anti vax. Between that and posting political stuff all over the office. Even after watching one of our shop guys get seriously hospitalized for it for over a week. Took him months to feel close to normal again.

I don’t wish for anyone to die, but I kinda hope the new variant knocks one of them down enough to change their mind.

By now, people who don't want to take the vaccine are pretty much set in their position and even if they see an acquaintance get covid, it is not going to change their mind. I think one of the main reasons is a big part of the population are more open to risk than the rest. They look at the odds of really getting sick and it is something they are comfortable with. I have a friend who doesn't want to get vaccinated because "he never" gets sick. Another is only into natural medicine. It's hard to argue against those reasons when it has worked for them all this time. So I don't even try to convince them to get the vaccine.

As expected, Missouri is now having a delta variant spike and the hospitals are at capacity. This is in a state where the governor refuses to require masks. The expectation is that Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, and Wyoming will see the next wave.

It's official in the province of Ontario,that a employee refusing to get a vaccine is automatic dismissal if so desired by the employer. It was a pri ate members bill passed quietly during the chaos. Steep fines can be placed by the government to a employer that doesn't do anything to enforce vaccination

I will not be surprised if the future variants make the vaccine ineffective. Then there will have to be a new vaccine, which requires more testing, etc. I don't think global bureaucracies can keep ahead of the virus.

If it's knocked down enough I see no reason why that can't happen just as it is for the flu vaccines where every year there is a new one that is fairly accurate on what variants it protects against?

But with too many people refusing the vaccine this may not be reached....

I still wear my mask when I go shopping even though I am vaccinated. Part of it is the small risk of still getting covid and the other part is a child in my family who is not yet vaccinated so we don't want to expose him. I would hate to be the one who gave him covid.

Anyone else seeing their states' covid numbers spiraling out of control? Even here in the most northeastern part of the US we are having a "surge". It doesn't look the same as it would in a city, but the case rate doubled here in the last week. It's almost triple what it was two weeks ago.

• Wow
Reactions: vinny11950
Anyone else seeing their states' covid numbers spiraling out of control? Even here in the most northeastern part of the US we are having a "surge". It doesn't look the same as it would in a city, but the case rate doubled here in the last week. It's almost triple what it was two weeks ago.
Ours are going but but not crazy. Over all PAs vaccination rates are fairly high. But our friend who is an intensive care RN says they are seeing a few cases in vaccinated people

Ours are going but but not crazy. Over all PAs vaccination rates are fairly high. But our friend who is an intensive care RN says they are seeing a few cases in vaccinated people
The vaccines are about 95% effective with the two shot Moderna and Pfizer vaccines, but that still leaves about 5% that will get infected, albeit most not as seriously. However, 5% of a town of 10,000 is still 500 people.

Reactions: bholler
The vaccines are about 95% effective with the two shot Moderna and Pfizer vaccines, but that still leaves about 5% that will get infected, albeit most not as seriously. However, 5% of a town of 10,000 is still 500 people.

Yes, but one should take 5% of "those exposed".

And given the universal prevention of serious symptoms for vaccinated people (hospital care seems not needed), it may be best to track hospital admissions as a number for how bad the situation is, rather than total infections?

The delta variant is much more contagious. Watching it spread is pretty much as predicted. This is hard on medical people. It's like knowing an avoidable train wreck is going to occur and then watching it happen. This time it is infecting a lot more people in the 20, 30 and 40 yr old ranges. States with relatively low vaccination rates are getting hit the hardest. 40% of the cases are in FL, AK, MO and NV. One in 5 cases in the country are now in Florida.

Yes, but one should take 5% of "those exposed".

And given the universal prevention of serious symptoms for vaccinated people (hospital care seems not needed), it may be best to track hospital admissions as a number for how bad the situation is, rather than total infections?
Yes, that is the telling metric. Even some reinfection cases have been totally mild.

The vaccine is like a seatbelt, not something I want to test personally. I'm going to stay away from people and mask for the foreseeable future while everyone else keeps testing their seatbelts.

As fast as it spreads and mutates now, Covid is going to be like the flu. It will come in waves at different times. Some waves will be not that bad, some will be worse than others. Now that the Delta variant infects vaccinated people and people who have had covid before too, containment and herd immunity is out the window. Now the vaccine is good for keeping you from getting the worst symptoms of covid when you catch it. Sad.

Foreign Affairs magazine has an article on it, if you have subscription.

A Strategy for the Long Fight Against COVID-19 | Foreign Affairs

• Sad
Reactions: SpaceBus
All the variants can infect some people even if vaccinated. The vaccines are only 90-95% effective. That still leaves 5 out of 100 that are vulnerable to infection. The good news is that the vaccine is exceptionally effective at keeping people out of the hospital. A local, young vaccinated veterinary assistant just got Covid. She thought she just had a mild cold, but they test regularly at the clinic and found it. The difference with the delta variant is that it is MUCH more contagious and is affecting a younger demographic the most. Testing goes on for the booster shot. Early results from Pfizer look promising. Like the flu we may need to get annual boosters until the disease dies down or a novel approach is perfected.

We are at a strange juncture. The anti-vaxers have become the control group.

Same here, particularly in Latino communities that make up the majority of the farm workers in the state.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Same here, particularly in Latino communities that make up the majority of the farm workers in the state.
We have four colleges not far from us, when they come back, the cases should go up even more. It's looks like it will be another long winter Covid wise.

Yes, unless colleges mandate vaccinations for on campus presence.

I hope the (justified) approval for vaccination of 2-12 year olds comes soon; with the more contagious delta variant and the (here) parental push for no-mask in-classroom education, I'm concerned about my kids when they go back to school...

Yes, unless colleges mandate vaccinations for on campus presence.

I hope the (justified) approval for vaccination of 2-12 year olds comes soon; with the more contagious delta variant and the (here) parental push for no-mask in-classroom education, I'm concerned about my kids when they go back to school...
I agree completely

Reactions: thewoodlands
This is extra tough for parents with kids in school and their teachers too. Most old farts can wait it out at home but that is not an option for many working couples with children.

Status
Not open for further replies.