Crabapple for burning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaugust124

Feeling the Heat
Feb 14, 2010
Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
Two things.
First, my in-laws are having their crabapple tree taken down. Being the newby scrounger that I am, I was wondering how good it is for burning. Its not a huge tree by any means, but free wood is better than not free wood.

Secondly, even Andy Rooney knows, "cutting logs and chopping the wood into a size you can burn, is one of the most satisfying jobs known to man."

Crabapple and apple are closely relatd and I think the wood is about the same, which is to say pretty good. if you BBQ or smoke meat, lots of people like apple for smoking. hawthorn is also closely related and seems about the same from a firewood point of view.

crabapple is a very good firewood.

wsorg said:
It is similar to apple. Great for smoking and cooking.

been afraid to try it for smokin any different form apple?

Nope. It's great in the smoker. I don't treat it any different than Apple.

zzr7ky said:

I will roll with it then I have hickory, apple,crab apple, pear,peach. lot of oak but I think its too strong.

smokinjay said:
zzr7ky said:

I will roll with it then I have hickory, apple,crab apple, pear,peach. lot of oak but I think its too strong.

Just be sure and keep that Poison Ivy out of it! :)

Slow1 said:
smokinjay said:
zzr7ky said:

Just be sure and keep that Poison Ivy out of it! :)

lol the trunk will be mill. We snatch it sunday and I am cover in it today, and had done everything put the trunk on last tuesday, so the part I will burn is free of it..... But Bet your right that could get ugly!

I had a couple crab apple trees taken down when we bought the house. I think it burned ok, but it was a PIA splitting by hand. Just full of knots!

Flatbedford said:
I had a couple crab apple trees taken down when we bought the house. I think it burned ok, but it was a PIA splitting by hand. Just full of knots!
+1 Great for burning...but grows all knarley and is a pain in the ass to split....love the smell though....

Status
Not open for further replies.