Craigslist in Maine has Harmon stoves for sale at jacked up prices

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steveo

Jun 6, 2008
Maine
The stoves are in Auburn Maine and they are asking like four thousand for a p68. the add says they have plenty of new in the box Harmon stoves for sale. The funny thing is that there is a Harmon dealer in Auburn. Is this a coincidence or not. I emailed the add and said nothing like taking advantage of people by jacking the prices up. I also said that I hope ur not a dealer. So who knows maybe the add will disappear. Go check it out just go to craigslist in Maine and do a search on pellet and the add should come up.

I don't think there is a gray market in these - but there could be a fluke - lots of Harman stoves were out there last year (they were not selling) and the factory even had to take stoves back from a lot of dealers....or move them to another dealer. Who knows what might have happened in that mess? I would call the guy if I wanted one and the prices were right. Funny, though, that he is calling dealers "lame"......why? Dealers are doing what they can do.

At first glance it looks like lots of snake oil salesmen are lining up to take advantage of people in Maine (a general statement, since folks from Maine seem to be the most desperate for pellets and stoves right now).....

My first thought is damaged freight shipment. Or the freight company didn't get paid.

One thing for sure, ain't no dealer gonna provide service.

Webmaster said:
A pertinent question is - how are even regular dealers going to provide service to the hundreds of stoves they are selling? Most shops have...at most...one service guy who is capable. Do the math.....I hope it is not a cold winter!

Yep. Think you and me wondered about that before Craig. Cold without a stove, or cold with a stove is pretty much the same thing. Cold.

Webmaster said:
A pertinent question is - how are even regular dealers going to provide service to the hundreds of stoves they are selling? Most shops have...at most...one service guy who is capable. Do the math.....I hope it is not a cold winter!

Oh boy had not even dared to think about that predicament. Let's hope for a good and reliable crop of stoves. I hope you are not right with that prophecy.

cimbo190 said:
Webmaster said:

Oh boy had not even dared to think about that predicament. Let's hope for a good and reliable crop of stoves. I hope you are not right with that prophecy.

They are pellet stoves. A conglomeration of motors, augers, chains, blowers, circuit boards etc. They break sometimes. Well, they all break eventually.

BrotherBart said:
cimbo190 said:
Webmaster said:

They are pellet stoves. A conglomeration of motors, augers, chains, blowers, circuit boards etc. They break sometimes. Well, they all break eventually.

Is a better way of looking at it that they need TLC or occasional maintenance. You are right though there should be an expectation for some priodic maintenance and repair, let's just hope the industry reacts from a servicing persepctive as well.

I have monitored this periodically. There is a particular poster from LACONIA who seems to be shopping the same stove in all states throughout New England.

I think it is only going to get worse.

If inventory is backed up, then maybe the maintenance guys won't be as straight out as we feared. It's next year that I'm worried about.

I have a Harman P68 and as long as I can get parts shipped to me with a reasonable lead time i am not worried. I am pretty sure I will be able to fix whatever goes wrong with my stove myself. i will also have my nice expensive oil as a backup.

Let the buyer beware............do your home work people! Maybe if the price of oil gets low enough that will curb the price gouging.......I hope for a warm winter this year.

Hope the guy on craigslist dont read this... harmon can trace back any stove they want.. if there is a big number of warranty claim forms not being returned from a certain dealer.. there ya go. If they do turn them in.. that dealer is gonna be a one year wonder.

Webmaster said:

These are not meant as primary heat sources. The dealers SHOULDNT SELL THEM AS THAT. If they do sell them as that, thats where the problems arise. Its illegal where im from( to claim it as a primary heat source).. As an industry "insider" you should know that. There is no 24/7 tech on hand for pellet stoves, anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.