Crazy weather in the northeast and your stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kversch

Dec 26, 2014
New York
temps today are taking a 30 degree swing!!! Along with that swing is some crazy winds. Steady 20-30mph with crazy gusts up in the 50's.

I had a bit of a scare tonight with the stove. I light a small five to get the stove up to temps and get a bed of coals going. When I filled the stove up like I normally would it took off faster then I have ever had. It was a bit scary temps in chimney hit close to 1000 before I realized. I shut the air way back quickly and the secondary's took over full blown. The chimney chirped a bit and smelled hot But quickly cooled down with and leveled out around 700.

Does this sound like something the weather could have caused? Anyone else have crazy stove behavior with this storm system pushing through?

Strong wind can increase draft.

Strong winds from certain directions absolutely turbo charge my stove.

Mine is burning a bit quicker than usual ,howling like a banshee.

I had a steady but light south, south west wind that blew through out the day yesterday, I left the stove wide open to burn everything down for a total clean out, at 4pm we had a heavy squall push through, temp was 60 deg at the start and an hour later it as 48 deg, I decided to clean all the ash out. At 6pm I loaded the stove, winds were coming out of the west north west with gusts, and oh boy my fire took right off, after the kindling was lit I had my damper open to load some bigger pieces and the stack sounded like a freight train, Once I closed everything all was quite and good.

Status
Not open for further replies.