Creosote and Smoke, Traeger GBU070

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GranvilleDave

Dec 15, 2014
Granville, Ohio
This is my first year with a pellet stove. It's recently began emitting a fair amount of smoke. When I turn one of the can lights on in the basement, you can see the smoke in the air. This recently started. I've replaced the gaskets in the front of the stove (clean out) and replaced the gaskets around both access doors in the front of the stove. One thing that I've messed with that may be responsible for some of this is that my draft blower has a damper on the bottom that swings open to let more air through the blower. It has been closed but I noticed that my stove burn pot was not burning very strong (it used to be much stronger). When I open that damper, the fire burns very vigorously as I expect. But, now, I have this smoke problem and I can't seem to find where the smoke is coming from. I've tried shining a flash light across the openings and the leak is not obvious.

Also, and perhaps it's related, my stove does smoke a lot (regardless of which pellets I burn) and it has created a lot of what I assume is creosote that has run down my chimney cap and down my chimney (looks terrible). They are dark brown streaks and you can see where it's running. It's also coming out of the pipes that connect my stove to the chimney liner.

I did install a chimney cap and a liner this year with the advise of our local stove shop (also sold me the pipe used to connect the stove). What I did notice, was that there appears to be water somehow leaching down the inside of the liner and filling the bottom of the T pipe inside the chimney. I have no idea how on earth that much water is getting into the pipe.

I'm obviously doing several things wrong but would appreciate any advice you might have about how best to address the smoke smell.

First off, you need to list your stove make in your signature line and a couple pictures of the install will do wonders. Sounds like a leaking vent pipe at the joints. Basement installs can be problematic.

Ok. I've updated my signature with Kreager GBU-070. I did not put any silicon sealant on the vent pipe joints (at all). I slipped them together and torqued them down.

You shouldn't be seeing smoke as you describe. Please describe the flame - is it active with sharp points, or orange-yellow with lazy flame tips, or whatever. Perhaps a photo of the flame would help.
It sounds like your air-fuel ratio of way off.

This is a furnace? If so will move to that section.

Sounds to me like the pipe joints are leaking too........

It's a Traeger and it's a furnace, not a stove.....

Traeger Furnace.... Correct your most holiness.
Yea one will jumped on if misspelling Harman, Harmon, Harmen, Hardmen etc etc.
Kreager around this part of the woods is a big sporting goods retailer and farm.

It's cool! This is a great forum and I'm new to the pellet furnace world. I love my furnace so far and it's saved me a ton of money. As I indicated, I did use a great local store (Sally's in Pataskala) for guidance, but I did the install myself. I purchased the furnace used on Craigslist.

I've attached a picture of my vent pipe. As you can see, I've taped the poop out of it because with this vent pipe, it seemed to simply slide together and I didn't realize that I was supposed to use silicone on the joints. I will do that tomorrow. Am I safe to assume that a 500 degree silicon is sufficient?

Creosote on Pipes.jpg

The same streaks can be seen running down the outside of my chimney (it's a 20+' high block chimney).

The second picture shows the plate below my blower. The guy that sold the furnace to me never mentioned this and I don't think it's mentioned in the owner's manual. It has been closed all year so far and the fire seemed to burn fine. But, I assume that it's purpose is to control the airflow into the burn pot. Could the creosote buildup be related to a fire that is not burning hot enough? Maybe, I should leave it open all of the time?

Furnace Blower.jpg

Thank You for your input!

A product that is easier and better IMO is called self bonding silicone tape. Found in both electrical and plumbing depts.It stretches very tight and seals very well and is high temp as well.
Hopefully others will chime in to remedy the issue of why your getting the creosote issue. Changed the title a bit to get more attention of others

Thank You! I would prefer the tape over silicone because after the winter is over, I plan to clean the stove, and move it back out of the way for the rest of the year. It seems like the tape would be easier to clean and this version from HomeDepot (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Nashua-T...-Fusing-Silicone-Tape-Black-1208952/100206050) says it's good to 500 degrees.

I am surprised at the amount of creosote for a first year setup.

Harman stoves with the exhaust probe keep try and keep the exhaust at a minimum temp of 130F and that helps keep the crud down. It looks like you need a little more fire-flow to reduce the problem. I have a pellet stove in the garage and if I try and run it at lower temps I have a mess start with creosote on exchangers. Same issue happens with wood stoves if they are not running a good hot fire to get flue temps up.

My furnace is older and does not have any automation tied to the exhaust temp. Are you aware of any add-on gizmos that I could attach to my (through my) exhaust pipe to measure that temperature? I suspect that the fire has not been burning as vigorously as it should have. When I restart the furnace, I will get some pictures of the flame. I have a hard time opening the front door of the furnace while it's burning because of all of the smoke that comes out.

I have thought of using a remote BBQ -meat temp probe and drill a port into the exhaust. Easy and pretty cheap.

First of all do you have a manual for your unit ?
It will tell you how to adjust your vent to get the cleanest burn
with the most heat . You have not had enough air being aloud into
the furnace to get a proper burn that's why there is the tar like
substance ( creosote ) Open up the air so that the stove gets
hot enough to burn off the creosote. Why they moved you over
here is beyond me because your furnace is a pellet stove made
to work like a furnace. You can get a manual here
http://pinnaclestove.com/shop/manuals-traeger-parts/traeger-gbu-070-furnace-manual/

First of all do you have a manual for your unit ?
It will tell you how to adjust your vent to get the cleanest burn
with the most heat . You have not had enough air being aloud into
the furnace to get a proper burn that's why there is the tar like
substance ( creosote ) Open up the air so that the stove gets
hot enough to burn off the creosote. Why they moved you over
here is beyond me because your furnace is a pellet stove made
to work like a furnace. You can get a manual here
http://pinnaclestove.com/shop/manuals-traeger-parts/traeger-gbu-070-furnace-manual/
Of course i have a manual and have read it numerous times! It is extremely poorly written and no where does it show where the pilot fan damper is. I had no idea that it existed until the other day. The manual references it but since the picture on the manual bears no similarities to my furnace, I assumed it did not apply.

Didn't know Traeger made stoves/furnaces! Mine resides on my deck and cranks out awesome ribs and smoked salmon.

+1.... Sure beats propain grills.
It's a toss up between the Traeger and the Green Mountain pellet grill. Each fills a need in my life:cool:

I got my Traeger seconf hand from my neighbor cheap so it was pretty much a no brainer.

I still prefer charcoal grilled steaks when I have the time but the pellet grill is almost as fast as a propain grill and the food tasts better/

Status
Not open for further replies.