Deal of the day.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
Found this on Ebay in January by accident a NIB Blaze King Ultra or Parlor original catalytic combustor,with a money back guarantee if it wasn't the right one,and free shipping. Hopefully I won't need it for sometime. Correction in an earlier post, I stated it was $160,that was what Blaze King allowed me on my combustor that died after 4.5 years on my first BK king.The new Parlors cat is as active as the first fire lit,so it shouldn't need a new cat for sometime.The Ebay score was $130 delivered.
catnew.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: gregbesia
Found this on Ebay in January by accident a NIB Blaze King Ultra or Parlor original catalytic combustor,with a money back guarantee if it wasn't the right one,and free shipping. Hopefully I won't need it for sometime. Correction in an earlier post, I stated it was $160,that was what Blaze King allowed me on my combustor that died after 4.5 years on my first BK king.The new Parlors cat is as active as the first fire lit,so it shouldn't need a new cat for sometime.The Ebay score was $130 delivered.
View attachment 196822

For reference, that cat is somewhere around 300$ from a reputable manufacturer.

For reference, that cat is somewhere around 300$ from a reputable manufacturer.
You are 100% correct ,on the styrofoam box mine came in it's marked Z450F if that means anything. Looks exactly like what I have in there now.

I have a real question about the cat warranty from BK. And I am not trying to start a fight at all I really want to know. They have a 10 year prorated warranty on the cat right? Is that on the cat or the stove meaning does that 10 years start over when you get a new cat or is it over 10 years after you buy the stove?

I am wondering because I have been recommending BK stove to some customers lately and want to have accurate info to give them in their decision making.

My understanding is the first cat is 10 years free replacement.(not pro-rated). Replacement cats do not carry a 10 year warranty.

You would want to call BK to know for sure. I don't think any of us owners have warrantied cats repeatedly.

My understanding is the first cat is 10 years free replacement.(not pro-rated). Replacement cats do not carry a 10 year warranty.
That what you stated is correct,when I had my King Ultra that warranty was not in effect. according to my stove shop,Northfield fireplace and stove. Good honest people.

I don't think any of us owners have warrantied cats repeatedly.
Then what do you do when you have to replace the cat after the first one?

Then what do you do when you have to replace the cat after the first one?

I replaced mine after it's 5th season with one from firecat. https://www.firecatcombustors.com/Articles.asp?ID=254

Here is their warranty.

Remedies Under this Warranty

Applied Ceramics will replace a defective combustor, free of charge, for the first 90 days following the date of original purchase.

After the first 90 days, replacement will be at the following discount:

• Year 1 — 50% of original price paid
  • Year 2 — 40% of original price paid
  • Year 3 — 30% of original price paid
  • Year 4 — 20% of original price paid
  • Year 5 — 10% of original price paid
  • Year 6 — Replacement at current retail price.
My guess is BK is ok with having to "give"(under warranty) a cat to anyone who actually uses their stove. I see very little chance of anyone making the 10 year mark, even less if they're new to wood stoves. The people here are not the "normal" when it comes to wood preparation, "normal" people don't have a 3 year or greater plan like a lot of us do.

Last edited:
Yeah, you guys are definitely not "normal"

A cord of wood will last me 15 years.

But me thinks I'm "sub-normal"

I will probably be boiling mine in vinegar (after 2 years) this summer and replacing it next year (after 3 years).

I think it will have at least 15,000 hours on it by then though, which is probably 10 years for most people.

Not sure that "worked it into the ground" is a warranty issue. ;)

I will probably be boiling mine in vinegar (after 2 years) this summer and replacing it next year (after 3 years).

I think it will have at least 15,000 hours on it by then though, which is probably 10 years for most people.

Not sure that "worked it into the ground" is a warranty issue. ;)
15000 hours over 10 years would mean they were only burning for about 2 months a year.

Your useage is on par with most full time burners.

I thought the BK warranty was pro-rated. It looks like I was wrong. Anyway, I never made a warranty claim because I did burn wood that was >25% moisture in my first season with the stove.

Well I looked it up still didnt find the answer to my question but found it is 6 years prorated

15000 hours over 10 years would mean they were only burning for about 2 months a year.

Your useage is on par with most full time burners.

Or 6 months of 8 hours a day, which I think is probably closer to what a lot of the non-BK guys do.

You'd have to be pretty dedicated to reloading the woodstove in your underpants with the windows open to clock 5000 hours a year on a stove that doesn't have "BK Low" as an option. In my climate zone, anyway. People who live in castles (@Ashful ) excepted.

24/7 burning for 5 months = about 3600 hrs. That's pretty common for folks that are serious wood burners cat or non-cat.

Or 6 months of 8 hours a day, which I think is probably closer to what a lot of the non-BK guys do.

You'd have to be pretty dedicated to reloading the woodstove in your underpants with the windows open to clock 5000 hours a year on a stove that doesn't have "BK Low" as an option. In my climate zone, anyway. People who live in castles (@Ashful ) excepted.
Do you really think that most people heating with a non cat only heat 8 hours a day? There are many many of us heaing 24/7 with a non cat. And no I don't load in my underwear or with the windows open. The vast majority of our customers with wood stoves run non cats. and probably 3/4 of them run 24/7. You climate is moderate like much of the us so nothing to different there. And most of us who run non cats know how to control the temperature just fine. And you wonder why the BK fan boy stuff bothers me.

Do you really think that most people heating with a non cat only heat 8 hours a day? There are many many of us heaing 24/7 with a non cat. And no I don't load in my underwear or with the windows open. The vast majority of our customers with wood stoves run non cats. and probably 3/4 of them run 24/7. You climate is moderate like much of the us so nothing to different there. And most of us who run non cats know how to control the temperature just fine. And you wonder why the BK fan boy stuff bothers me.

I've run all my stoves since 2004 in winter 24/7 when gas prices skyrocketed and haven't looked back since.
Generally speaking late October begins my season until usually April 15 ,then I shut her down.I only use gas to heat water.
The beauty of the BK is no constant fiddling around set and forget ,and have a nice day,see you in 10 or 12 hrs.
I don't recommend a cat for those who don't have at least a 3 year supply of very seasoned wood,the BK thrives on seasoned wood and performs like no other stove. However less than seasoned wood is a total waste of time and energy,literally.
as you will render the stove in the category of a mediocre tube stove.

The beauty of the BK is no constant fiddling around set and forget ,and have a nice day,see you in 10 or 12 hrs.
I set mine and forget it for 8 to 10 hours after start up which if loading on coals only takes me 10 to 15 mins so not much difference there. But yes I know you can go much longer than the 10 to 12 you stated I cannot.

I don't recommend a cat for those who don't have at least a 3 year supply of very seasoned wood,the BK thrives on seasoned wood and performs like no other stove. However less than seasoned wood is a total waste of time and energy,literally.
Seasoned wood is necessary for good operation of any stove even pre EPA ones. I dont have 3 years and I get it below 20% just fine but that is a whole other debate that we don't need to get into.

I've run all my stoves since 2004 in winter 24/7 when gas prices skyrocketed and haven't looked back since.
Generally speaking late October begins my season until usually April 15 ,then I shut her down.I only use gas to heat water.

I have found the opposite too be true. My first year with the BK I had a mixture of wood that was ready (dry) and some that wasn't quite. After reading all the information about how poorly cat stoves handled less than fully seasoned wood I was pleasantly surprised that my BK did just fine with it, better infact than the tube stove I replaced with it.

As I've said though, the ceramic cat didn't quite make it through two seasons and that could have easily been the result of burning non seasoned wood.

I have found the opposite too be true.
I have heard that pretty often as well and no ceramic cats dont deal well with the thermal shock