Defiant Encore CAT 2550... not sure what I think yet

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lma58

Hearth Supporter
Dec 20, 2006
Hi everyone. I'm a long time wood burner. 4 years with a Scandia "Vigilant" knock off, then 20 years with a "Saey" combination wood/coal stove that saw nothing but coal for approximately 4 years, then most recently a Vigilant I for this past heating season. I attempt to heat a home of 2300 square feet in South Western New Hampshire. The stove is in the basement at one end of the house. The room the stove is in is insulated to R-11. and it is pretty much open to the staircase. Directly above the stove is the living area of the house, with the bedrooms at the opposite end. It works out pretty well, with the bedrooms staying cooler. I loved the Vigilant, though I would have liked glass doors, and was tired of all the creosote it could make. It heated the house well 90% of the winter. Only in the coldest weather did the oil fired FHW system need to run.

A week ago I purchased a used Defiant Encore 2550 CAT stove. I'm actually glad to be experiencing this colder than normal weather to be able to try it out now rather than having to wait until next heating season. The stove doesn't seem to put out the heat that the Vigilant did. I believe I am running it properly, I let the griddle temp reach at least 450 prior to engaging the CAT. If I run the stove to give me a griddle temp of 500 over night, after 9 hours there are very few coals to get the fire going, if any. Also, a griddle temp of 500 just doesn't seem to be heating as well as 500 on the old Vigilant.

Last night I filled it tight with 3"-5" rounds of dry birch and maple. (the fire box feels considerably smaller then the Vigilant did) After maybe 30-40 minutes the fire was burning brightly, griddle temp was 480. I dampered it down, left the primary air 3/4 open for maybe 10 minutes, then shut it all the way down. Half an hour later when I checked on it, it was making a dull roaring sound, sort of like a chimney fire, but not as nossy. All seemed ok, temp was 500, stack was at 350, climbed to 400 then settled back to 380. Finally I went to bed, but the sound was still there. Is this normal for a CAT stove? Any thoughts or comments are welcome.

First of all you are activating the cat too soon and at too low of a temp There are two wayys to determine when to engage
one griddle top temp I close mine down after 550 and also I check the wood to see if it has entered the second stage of combustion being charred and no hissing or signs of moisture
the Scandia knock off Villigant is not a good stove to compare toa modern stove one it was never air tight. I also find t your wood selection to be on the small side and Birch will never compare to 6" or more oak for burn time length. Next being used I would want to make sure the ash pan door gasket is a tight seal and latched adjusted to form the seasl and that the front door gaskets sealing right and the griddle gasket should be replaced every 4 years . If you are getting gasket leaks you are not going to get maxium burn times..
I get the low rumble sound I then know I have activated the cat and secondary combustion the stove is running right. However I monitor my chimney conditions and clean it before the start of the heating season and at mid point I also clean the cat combustor. When I get it hot I know there is no dangereous cresote in my chimney 30 years 2 stoves and never a chomney fire, The system is working But I check and know I do not leave it up to guess work,

How old is your stove when have you changed gaskets including the ones mentioned above and the damper gasket? what about the glass gaskets?

What is the condition of the cat combustor did you clean it? and clea( vac out the secondary combustor compartment getting all the clogging fly ash removed? did you clean off the secondary temp probe in the Combustor compartment?

A week ago I purchased a used Defiant Encore 2550 CAT stove. I'm actually glad to be experiencing this colder than normal weather to be able to try it out now rather than having to wait until next heating season. The stove doesn't seem to put out the heat that the Vigilant did.
I'm looking for a new stove too....what is the Defiant Encore? I see a Defiant CAT that is model 1945, and an Encore CAT 2550. But no Defiant Encore.
Thanks, Scotty

Status
Not open for further replies.