do I need a damper for this Jotul Castine?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

elasticman

Nov 19, 2018
have had this Jotul for at least 15 years. Never thought to put a damper on it. The installer never mentioned it. What did I know? :)

Should I add one? Is this a DIY process? I would need to remove and replace a section of pipe, correct?

Attachments

• IMG_2779.JPG
    IMG_2779.JPG
    180 KB · Views: 241
How long us your flue? Why do you ask? Is draft strong?

but i get a nice strong air flow when I first start firs w/window cracked so maybe I dont need one? My old stove had an elbow and a damper so I can see why THAT one needed the damper.

here is the room it is in. It's a sunroom (unheated) that opens into the rest of the house. Oil baseboard heat throughout the rest of the house.

Attachments

• IMG_2780.JPG
    IMG_2780.JPG
    185.6 KB · Views: 238
flue is about an 8 foot straight shot up through a vaulted ceiling. On super windy days we sometimes get smoke backing up. And I read that for night burns a damper can help keep a long slow burn?

Doesn't sound like you need a damper then.