Do I need an insulated liner for a Regency ci2700 insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
In the event that you need to “assist” the installer.

Reactions: Grandpa Ray
All valid points for insulating it. If the increase in draft is minimal, then yes it should be done. I'm just curious as to at least 3 different installers told me the same thing; it is not needed and is overkill. You'd think installers would want to sell more products and kits but for some reason they don't recommend it almost across the board. Perhaps they have delt with so many uninsulated liners pre-code mandate they are just set in their ways?

All valid points for insulating it. If the increase in draft is minimal, then yes it should be done. I'm just curious as to at least 3 different installers told me the same thing; it is not needed and is overkill. You'd think installers would want to sell more products and kits but for some reason they don't recommend it almost across the board. Perhaps they have delt with so many uninsulated liners pre-code mandate they are just set in their ways?
It has been code since the early 80s. The fact is they will make more sales and be able to install more stoves if they are dropping bare liners. It's about making more money

Just insulate. You won’t regret it and it would be way more expensive to go back to pull liner if you change your mind.

I had to pull my liner to insulate it, it is not fun standing on the peak of your roof yanking out a liner.

Like most things in life, do it right the first time now that you have the taken the steps to get the correct knowledge.

Cat stoves like to operate low and slow, so the insulation helps with the draft at lower exhaust temps.

Reactions: bholler
Interesting. Just for my own knowledge, how does that increase sales?
Probably increases sales because the cost is less for the client. This probably gets them to sell more jobs and install faster than wrapping liners first on site or before the job site.

I had to pull my liner to insulate it, it is not fun standing on the peak of your roof yanking out a liner.

Like most things in life, do it right the first time now that you have the taken the steps to get the correct knowledge.

Cat stoves like to operate low and slow, so the insulation helps with the draft at lower exhaust temps.
Agreed, why did you have to pull your liner?

Interesting. Just for my own knowledge, how does that increase sales?

Faster install, have you tried to hire an installer lately? They are very backed up. Plus more often than not it isn't as easy as the op's situation. Many masonry chimneys have smaller flues and the clay flue needs to be removed to fit in an insulated liner which can be a real pain in the ass.

But the customer would pay (a premium) for that.

I think it has to do with the margins. Margin on labor is lower than the margin on parts. So if you want to make a bit more,
installing a stove and a liner without much labor is better (total margin on the job is larger) than installing a stove with a lot-of-labor-liner.

But the customer would pay (a premium) for that.

I think it has to do with the margins. Margin on labor is lower than the margin on parts. So if you want to make a bit more,
installing a stove and a liner without much labor is better (total margin on the job is larger) than installing a stove with a lot-of-labor-liner.
Absolutely correct. Plus dropping bare liners no block off plate etc a crew can do atleast 2 many times 3 installs a day. Doing a good install it's only one a day.

Update: Regency ci2700 installed with insulated liner. Just doing a couple break in fires. Cat approved!

E7B6AB2C-01B6-42D7-B36F-576193F169F0.jpeg

Good looking set up!

Sweet! Nice looking installation! The kitteh will be making a permanent home there as long as a fire is burning.

I was told that it's more difficult to install as it's a bit thicker than 6 inches. They past the cost of an insulated liner on to you as they don't actually I slated it they just buy already insulated liners.

I was told that it's more difficult to install as it's a bit thicker than 6 inches. They past the cost of an insulated liner on to you as they don't actually I slated it they just buy already insulated liners.
Many installers don't do it because it increases the total cost of the job meaning they may loose the job to another installer. It also can make the install much more difficult meaning you can't schedule multiple jobs in one day.

Insisting upon doing it right with insulation proper cleaning block off plates etc actually reduces potential profits.