Do I wait for my Blaze King?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DreaRocks

May 26, 2021
Raleigh, NC
Hey folks, long time lurker..... I am curious for your opinions please. I put a deposit on a Blaze King Sirocco Insert a few weeks ago, the installers called and said the inserts were back ordered and unsure when they would be available. Asked if I wanted to wait, or maybe consider something else. The other option for me here would pretty much be a Buck Stove Insert. I was hoping I could have this installed before the fall.

I called Blaze King directly, and they let me know that they are awaiting approval from the EPA. They submitted their paperwork, but apparently the EPA is backlogged so in the meantime, production is halted. It could be 1 month, it could be 3 months.... it could be longer.

Do I wait for my Sirocco? Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me.

Wait a couple of months, then decide. Book the installation regardless for late August so that you are on the installer's calendar.

Reactions: DreaRocks
I paid the deposit, but the installers are saying they don't know when it could be so I dont think they will put me on the calendar... But I can ask them. But basically, you are saying to wait for it. Thanks for your reply.

Try to work with the dealer so that both of you have good options. Ask if you can put a refundable deposit on the insert so that you get a place in the order queue. Maybe that will help get you an installation date?

I ordered a Woodstock Absolute Steel ~5 weeks ago and since then their website has said they can't ship them due to a pending recertification. It's May and I need to rebuild my hearth, so I'm happy to wait for a while.

You arent going to be using it for a while. So why not wait for what you want?

In the mean time, get another year of wood put up. Your stove is going to want it as dry as possible.

Wait for it, I set out to buy a Blazeking and wound up with another stove, I'm happy with what I have, but if I could go back in time I'd have a BK in my house instead.

I ordered a Woodstock Absolute Steel ~5 weeks ago and since then their website has said they can't ship them due to a pending recertification. It's May and I need to rebuild my hearth, so I'm happy to wait for a while.
Nice!! I am happy to wait a while too, but would like to know it will be installed at least by the fall. I hurried up, and re-did my hearth! Good luck! It was a fun project :)

You arent going to be using it for a while. So why not wait for what you want?

In the mean time, get another year of wood put up. Your stove is going to want it as dry as possible.
yeah, I did not mention that I also got my wood racks ready, and ordered green wood. I have it all stacked away, but I am thinking of getting some seasoned wood for this fall as it might not be ready to burn in time. I should mention that I also have my moisture meter ready to go!! LOL

Thanks for your reply, what made you change your mind if you dont mind my asking?

The Blazeking dealer was closed the day we went looking, so we went looking at another shop and my wife fell in love with the aesthetics of the stove we have now, she also liked the idea of a more active fire show in the firebox, didn't help that the bloody thing was on sale either. Happy wife, happy life.

• Haha
If you have an Osburn, I like the look of those too, so I get that. But, I am lazy and dont want to feed the firebox too often! I want to be warm in my bones!! It doesnt even get that cold here, but its cold to me!

If you have an Osburn, I like the look of those too, so I get that. But, I am lazy and dont want to feed the firebox too often! I want to be warm in my bones!! It doesnt even get that cold here, but its cold to me!

It's a nice looking stove, and does work well for what it is, the beauty of it is I can burn it hard when it gets -40 here. But a BK would also work well at warmer temperatures with better efficiency and longer burn times. The other option I thought about was a Regency F3500, but at the time no local dealers carried them, but my dealer has started carrying them this year.

In another thread on 25D tax credit, I posted a bit of information on what is going on at EPA. Thank you for your patience. All the manufacturers that were prepared for the 2020 deadline certified their products in 2015 and 2016. Certification renewal can be requested every 5 years. The Early bird catches the worm doesn't apply here.

It's all a matter of paperwork for 99% of renewal requests.....EPA is working at it.

In another thread on 25D tax credit, I posted a bit of information on what is going on at EPA. Thank you for your patience. All the manufacturers that were prepared for the 2020 deadline certified their products in 2015 and 2016. Certification renewal can be requested every 5 years. The Early bird catches the worm doesn't apply here.

It's all a matter of paperwork for 99% of renewal requests.....EPA is working at it.
Thanks for that info, yeah I am sure the EPA is woking on it... I highly doubt it will take 5 months for them to approve the paperwork. Since you are with BK, how long do you think it would take once production can begin again? I feel badly for all of the workers that are out of production... Hopefully you guys are taking care of them somehow.

Thanks for that info, yeah I am sure the EPA is woking on it... I highly doubt it will take 5 months for them to approve the paperwork. Since you are with BK, how long do you think it would take once production can begin again? I feel badly for all of the workers that are out of production... Hopefully you guys are taking care of them somehow.
Also, I checked out the EPA Website and it's pretty decent! I was wondering if there was a way I could petition them to do your paperwork faster ;) hehe

Impatience is now considered virtuous in America.

Personally I would wait even as long another year to get the stove I wanted. For your climate it could be the last stove you will ever buy. The first year burning not quite dry enough wood was miserable and took a lot of enjoyment out of a new stove. Get a good stack of tulip poplar and pine split before the end of June (and don’t split them huge) they will be ready to burn really nice in December if you keep the rain off. Build a nice wood shed/rack while you wait.

Evan

Personally I would wait even as long another year to get the stove I wanted. For your climate it could be the last stove you will ever buy. The first year burning not quite dry enough wood was miserable and took a lot of enjoyment out of a new stove. Get a good stack of tulip poplar and pine split before the end of June (and don’t split them huge) they will be ready to burn really nice in December if you keep the rain off. Build a nice wood shed/rack while you wait.

Evan
Thanks for your response! I understand what you are saying... I have plenty of other projects in the works but I could work some more on my shed//rack... I built a temporary one, and ordered split green wood in beginning of May, but I do feel I should have some other wood that is drier. People in NC are giving away wood all over the place, perhaps its time I learn to split logs!

ETA: pretty Jotul! Do you love it??

We are so busy no one is out of work, but thank you for your concern. The only certificate up for renewal this year is for the SC25/AF25 and BX24. All other models are being produced and shipped as fast as they come off the line. Unless a dealer has stock, we are around a 3-4 week lead times. Typically this is the time of year we put product into stock. That is not happening as of yet. We expect a surge for products in the coming months and have invested heavily in machinery and new employees.

I co-chair the solid fuel section of our industry. I have met virtually and in-person with other manufacturers to discuss the issues at EPA. We are hopeful they will address renewals and new unit certifications in a more timely manner.

BKVP

We are so busy no one is out of work, but thank you for your concern. The only certificate up for renewal this year is for the SC25/AF25 and BX24. All other models are being produced and shipped as fast as they come off the line. Unless a dealer has stock, we are around a 3-4 week lead times. Typically this is the time of year we put product into stock. That is not happening as of yet. We expect a surge for products in the coming months and have invested heavily in machinery and new employees.

I co-chair the solid fuel section of our industry. I have met virtually and in-person with other manufacturers to discuss the issues at EPA. We are hopeful they will address renewals and new unit certifications in a more timely manner.

BKVP
Whew, I am glad to hear you all are busy, and that no one is out of work!! I am waiting on the SC25, so that makes sense. I'm glad you are prepared for the onslaught! Are you doing pre orders for those that are up for renewal? Sorry if I am asking too many questions. I would like to get in the line once the paperwork is approved!

Thanks for your response! I understand what you are saying... I have plenty of other projects in the works but I could work some more on my shed//rack... I built a temporary one, and ordered split green wood in beginning of May, but I do feel I should have some other wood that is drier. People in NC are giving away wood all over the place, perhaps its time I learn to split logs!

ETA: pretty Jotul! Do you love it??
I really like it. I didn’t want a big black stove or insert and it had to fit under the 29” lintel, and I didn’t want a cat stove. Bonus that the door is flush with the brick. So I don’t need floor ember protection. Choices were not a lot back in 2018. Even fewer now.

I have split every bit of wood by hand with an axe. Get some steel toe boots and a fiskars splitting axe. Chainsaw comes in handy when something is to big but so does a sawsall. Tree service took down a long leaf pine and I got there just in time to get the bottom 20’. Turned out to be 1/2 cord stacked. We don’t have to be picky about our wood down here. It just doesn’t get cold enough to need to push the stove hard with high btu wood.

I burn about 1.5-2 cords of soft wood and that carries about 90% of my heating load. We are considering a second stove/insert for the basement as it get pretty cool down there when the heatpump isn’t on. I would love a BK but I just don’t think they extra cost over a Drolet insert makes sense.

Completely unsolicited advice get an Auber AT200 temperature alarm. Worth every penny

Evan