Done with "stuff"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The DR chipper that was stolen was recovered by the police and I got it back! And now I sold it, and also sold an old Cub Cadet lawn tractor with plow. With those gone a lot of space has been recovered in my utility building, which I will not fill up again. Now up for sale is a 12' boat and trailer, an old drill press, and a gas engine powered pump. Also, for no good reason I am getting rid of boxes of old papers. A local bank offers twice/year free shredding service, next one in November, and many boxes will headed to the bank. The mission continues to "get rid of stuff."
Yes! You're an inspiration.

You will be able to move into one of those tiny houses that you can heat with a candle.
We watch those tiny house shows on HGTV. I could so do that; wife on the other hand, not so much.

We watch those tiny house shows on HGTV. I could so do that; wife on the other hand, not so much.
I thinlk that would get old pretty quick especially for more than one person ,like sharing a prison cell

Progress continues...busted up the last of my fixed wooden shelves the other day, consolidated the stuff, paint, stains, hardware in plastic stacked containers, etc onto a rolling metro wire rack half the size. I believe everything is now on wheels now.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I tell my wife I could do that any time! As long as we have a 3,000 sqft garage and shop next to it. :)
Yea you need somewhere to go when she is pissed. Cant get any distance in a tiny house. Did you notice theres no such thing as a TINY GARAGE movement?

Not gonna happen here. We're selling this place in ~10 years.

Just sold an old dresser for $75, another 18 cu ft cleared.

Yea you need somewhere to go when she is pissed. Cant get any distance in a tiny house. Did you notice theres no such thing as a TINY GARAGE movement?
There is a tiny out building thing, look little structures to read, work, yoga, etc.

I’m trying....I really am trying to understand the drive for this. I don’t get it. Without the room, without the stuff, I just wouldn’t be able to do most of the stuff I enjoy. Where do you keep the lathe and the mill and the grinders and the tools and the toy car and backhoe, snowplow, etc. How about the bass boat and the generator, and trailer, etc. Could I live without any (or all) of these things? Sure. Do I want to? Heck no.

Im not at all interested in a tiny garage. Where would you put your full sized tractor ,saws. classic cars ,trucks .tools,stoves ect .Those things don't come in tiny sizes . Only thing I would be interested in a small size is a small cabin on wheels to park on an acre in the woods. I dont live there so I don't need all my stuff there and I don't want to ruin that tiny tax bill for vacant land but can still enjoy weekend getaways there..

I can understand that. I have a small cabin at the Mississippi River for the same reason - and for a typical couple or few days stay at a time. The part that has me scratching my head is the ones that are eliminating their personal possessions to a bare minimum. If the purpose is for mere existence and building a bank account thats fine, but for a lifestyle I personally think it would suck (and by suck - I mean bore the hell out of me).

I suppose with a tiny house would come the tiny dog and the .5 children.;lol;lol:p

I’m trying....I really am trying to understand the drive for this. I don’t get it. Without the room, without the stuff, I just wouldn’t be able to do most of the stuff I enjoy. Where do you keep the lathe and the mill and the grinders and the tools and the toy car and backhoe, snowplow, etc. How about the bass boat and the generator, and trailer, etc. Could I live without any (or all) of these things? Sure. Do I want to? Heck no.

I have a full basement. Half is my work area, two 6 x 3 work table side by side. Here I have a band saw, grinder/wire wheel, mounted vise/anvil, band/wheel sander on or just off the table. I have a rolling 3 tier tool cart for handy glues, sprays and tools used all the time.

I have a 2 car garage, half is my '69 Buick, with 9 ' work counter and shelves for auto tools only on the side.

I just built an outdoor shed that houses ALL outdoor stuff, lawn tractor, patio furniture, yard tools, chipper, (I do keep my chain saws in the garage in the winter). And the snow thrower I need to keep in the back of the basement for obvious reasons.

I'm simply removing all the stuff I don't use regularly, can get as I need it, or things/projects I'll never get to.

When my brother clears something out of the house, he puts an empty cardboard box in its place so his wife won't put something new there.;)

When my brother clears something out of the house, he puts an empty cardboard box in its place so his wife won't put something new there.;)

OMG! I thought that same thing. It really could be an interesting human study. So when all the space on a table top is filled with clutter, and you put another table next to it, that one will soon be filled with clutter--but what if you don't? Where does the clutter go?

Rather than an empty box, which is good for drawers, I thought of making a 3 dimensional clutter substitute for counter tops. Just take all the clutter and glue it to a cardboard base, keep the top angled/irregular so additional clutter will fall off. Have it cover the area you want, then when you want to enjoy the space, just remove it and you have a clean counter.

Reactions: Highbeam
Rather than an empty box, which is good for drawers, I thought of making a 3 dimensional clutter substitute for counter tops. Just take all the clutter and glue it to a cardboard base, keep the top angled/irregular so additional clutter will fall off. Have it cover the area you want, then when you want to enjoy the space, just remove it and you have a clean counter.

How about a countertop that just flips up vertical once a day?

How about a giant to pick up the house and shake out all the clutter.

Reactions: johneh
If you've ever cleaned up an estate you can appreciate an effort to unclutter a place and probably unclutter your life toward the end. I pity whoever has to go through my stuff ,could take a lifetime.

Every year I get older, I plan on less stuff.

If you've ever cleaned up an estate you can appreciate an effort to unclutter a place and probably unclutter your life toward the end. I pity whoever has to go through my stuff ,could take a lifetime.
We have estate sales every other week here. A local has made it into a business. They take a lot of stuff that doesn't sell to goodwill.

I keep an open box near my basement bench for goodwill/savers donation. I must have taken at least 20-30 of them over the past 5 years.

Yeah I guess I told y'all guys. we have a whole house etc to dispose of.? we can't even sell the purgatory house till w downsize and get rid of most everything there. Too embarrassed to even show the inside yet. Cause of so much "clutter and stuff. Not junk. but GOING. from 2 houses to one
Pray for us cause Hubby says it wont all fit.. He right...we have and will lose so much in cleaning out and selling Purgatory house and property.
m been doing CL for years. auction will prob have to be it. not whole lot of calls in this small town compared to having items for sale on Cl say in a larger metro area.
Heck it took weeks to give away two older televisions. LOL

IV got a whole commercial building 12000 Sf full of "stuff" . Took me 10 years to accumulate it and iv spent the last 20 trying to clean it out but it seems to be filling up more. I give up! . My kids will earn their inheritance. :eek:

2 big speakers, $150; car stereo $100; car bike rack $75. ~3.5 cu ft cleared.

it's starting to catch on, my daughter/wife cleaned out the playroom 3 more things to sell a lot of clutter gone.