Don't have wood? Start working at it now!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webfish

Hearth.com LLC
Staff member
Oct 18, 2013
Minnesota
I wanted to replace my zero clearance in January 2014. Couldn't do it at that time. I started collecting and splitting wood instead.

Here is my first pile in April 2014. I was not ready!!

photo 4.JPG

I took out my insert and installed a freestanding stove in May, 2016. https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...-clearance-to-freestanding-wood-stove.155497/

But here are my stacks now. Craigslists, scrounging, neighbors, etc...Didn't pay for any.

Around 11-12 cord. Stick with it. It is addicting.

IMG_3017 (1).JPG
IMG_3016.JPG
IMG_3019.JPG

Attachments

• photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    201.4 KB · Views: 266
Wow. Talk about delayed gratification! Great job. This will be a fun winter for you.

awesome stacks. that area looks a lot like the town where i was born, Fergus Falls. you anywhere close?

"Craigslists, scrounging, neighbors, etc...Didn't pay for any......It is addicting"

My other half is forbidding me to horde more than 2 cords (we are surburban recreation weekend/occasionally weeknight burners). I have 1.5 cord ash splitted early spring and another growing pile of oak and maple getting ready for next year. That's all I can think about, craiglisting for free wood within 30 miles radius, I can't stop nor do I want to.....

Reactions: Lone_Gun
Methinks that unlike some newbies burning this year you will be quite happy and wondering why they are complaining about a) the glass gunking up, b) wood that just will not ignite very well, c) a stove that doesn't seem to be putting out any heat and d) a chimney that is chocker blocker full of creosote.

Reactions: excessads
i'm trying to convince my wife that we need a tractor, so that I can move wood and terrace the yard so I can stack wood.... i actually wish I had kept more of what I got rid of when clearing a bunch of stuff, now that I know what I know. I threw out perfectly good wood just to get it out of the way. It was a lot of elm and boxelder that was pretty leafy... i got a little sick of cutting down pieces that were 1" diameter. I'm hoping that by next year, I will be pretty far ahead....

"Craigslists, scrounging, neighbors, etc...Didn't pay for any......It is addicting"

My other half is forbidding me to horde more than 2 cords (we are surburban recreation weekend/occasionally weeknight burners). I have 1.5 cord ash splitted early spring and another growing pile of oak and maple getting ready for next year. That's all I can think about, craiglisting for free wood within 30 miles radius, I can't stop nor do I want to.....
IMG_20160923_165308644_HDR.jpg
IMG_20160923_163124041.jpg

So...Craigslist ad was up at 2:15, I was there 3:15 loading 1/3 cord in my car, 4:15 finished stacking and tarping. Must collect more wood....

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Lone_Gun
That's just funny cuz I'm a 12 stepper (alcohol) and it actually does relate in positive ways.

"If a little is good, more is better" mentality.
Making sure there is supply for the next morning.
Daydreaming about it.
Using the finest stove (champagne) compared to my #2421 (vodka) to feel better about ourselves.
Something feels like it's missing when not doing it.
Makes us fast friends with kids and animals.
Keeping an eye out constantly for a great deal on a large amount because you know you'll get it anyway.
Having a few year supply makes us feel giddy and more secure.
Comparing our own patterns to the M.O. of other stovers.
That feeling when the warmth first hits.
Creosote would compare to organ damage. (oh, no, but I want to keep going anyway)

Scary, huh?? LOLOL

In summer, having friends over usually involves a campfire.

(quit da drinkies in 2007)

As soon as we bought the stove, weeks before install I started collecting/scrounging/ splitting.
It hasn't stopped since. Been collecting and processing all spring and summer getting ahead
further and further and further, etc. etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hasufel
That's just funny cuz I'm a 12 stepper (alcohol) and it actually does relate in positive ways.

"If a little is good, more is better" mentality.
Making sure there is supply for the next morning.
Daydreaming about it.
Using the finest stove (champagne) compared to my #2421 (vodka) to feel better about ourselves.
Something feels like it's missing when not doing it.
Makes us fast friends with kids and animals.
Keeping an eye out constantly for a great deal on a large amount because you know you'll get it anyway.
Having a few year supply makes us feel giddy and more secure.
Comparing our own patterns to the M.O. of other stovers.
That feeling when the warmth first hits.
Creosote would compare to organ damage. (oh, no, but I want to keep going anyway)

Scary, huh?? LOLOL

In summer, having friends over usually involves a campfire.

(quit da drinkies in 2007)

As soon as we bought the stove, weeks before install I started collecting/scrounging/ splitting.
It hasn't stopped since. Been collecting and processing all spring and summer getting ahead
further and further and further, etc. etc.
As a guy I work with told me the other day, you may have the single most productive habit around.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

At least now he won't have to listen to at least one mod >> pick at him in the mod room about when he is gonna get a stove anymore.

But he has me totally ass kicked wood supply wise.

Reactions: CheapBassTurd
I know all about the scrounging urge. Some friends of ours have an oak tree they are taking down. The wife has already told me that one weekend, I will be renting a splitter because apparently it is a very large oak. Not sure where I will be stacking it, but that to me is a good problem to have. Between my 2 piles, I have about 12-15 cord of wood.
I will see if I can get some pictures soon of the potential scrounge...as we all know, picts or it did not happen.

Last edited:
Great. I'm a topic of discussion? (don't tell me if so.) LOL

Gonna keep Wilbur (potbellied pig). He's been fixed as per ASPCA.
Tight with excellent updraft fire or not.
Maybe it's the bold font and oddball color choices.
Providing 5 plates of supper trumps buying stuff until back on the job.
Thanx fer not kicking me out at least,

LosCheaposMarcos

Last edited:
I've scrounge all my wood for the past 2 years. All in all about 8 cords. I've got 5 ready to go for this winter and next. I'd like to kick it up a notch now that it's cooler out and start hitting craigslist hard. I was too tired and beat up the other day from work to hitch the trailer and go get a few guaranteed loads of maple that were about 15 to 20 minutes away. I regret it now but I know it was too much for the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.