Dumping wood in asphalt driveway - damage concerns??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Nov 23, 2018
Hi All - I moved into a new home with an asphalt driveway that frankly looks better than most.

I've never dumped a load of wood onto asphalt.

Will that damage to appearance? Will a tarp protect it?

Dumping on the grass is not an option due to the layout and landscaping.

Thanks

Hi All - I moved into a new home with an asphalt driveway that frankly looks better than most.

I've never dumped a load of wood onto asphalt.

Will that damage to appearance? Will a tarp protect it?

Dumping on the grass is not an option due to the layout and landscaping.

Thanks
The wood will be fine. You're just planning to burn it, anyway, so if a little bark gets knocked off or a few pieces get dented, no big deal.

My concern would be more the potential damage to the driveway from hte tires of the dump truck. Assuming he doesn't drive over any edges, you should be fine...

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
My concern would be more the potential damage to the driveway from hte tires of the dump truck. Assuming he doesn't drive over any edges, you should be fine...
Yep, the edges are the weak spot. Our roofer had to spring for about 20' of new edge when the dumpster truck veered off. Always a risk with heavy trucks.

I have a truckload of wood dumped on our asphalt driveway every other year. You cannot tell that area from the rest of the driveway. I just sweep up the crumbs when I'm done stacking, and after a rain it's back to normal. Like someone said above, I would not do this in hot weather.