E-Classic Relighting Issue Solved

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

antos_ketcham

Mar 5, 2008
Decided to call CB yesterday to discuss my issue with the fire going out. They suggested I place a paper clip in the primary air solenoid flap so that some air could keep getting in. It worked. Fire has not gone out. Simple.

Pete

Of course, the fact that you now have to reload every 8 hours might be part of the reason the fires not going out . . . :smirk:

I still think you need an override to open the draft/turn on the fan every so many hours, irrespective of temp.

Pete Antos-Ketcham said:
Decided to call CB yesterday to discuss my issue with the fire going out. They suggested I place a paper clip in the primary air solenoid flap so that some air could keep getting in. It worked. Fire has not gone out. Simple.

Pete

I would think that "fix" kind of defeats the purpose of a gasifier. Basically, what you are doing is allowing a trickle of air into the firebox which allows the fire to idle. I'd see if they can't come up with something better than that because idling = a dirty burn.

I was concerned that it would lead to a dirty burn, but that hasn't been the case. Compared to the old CB - I can't see any smoke coming from the chimney when idling except just after it has been running. When it is running there is smoke for perhaps 5 minutes, it goes from white to blue to then a clean and clear exhaust.

Pete

Sorry Pete, I lost your post down the line somewhere.

As usual, I am just the idea man. Someone else here can probably give you an idea how to implement it.

Seems to me that if the E-Class is so 'airtight' that it will kill the fire, then it should hold the fuel a long time while 'off'. Basically what I am proposing is a timer. Everytime the air shuts down (however that happens on an EClass) the timer starts. Everytime the time hits, say, two hours, the air comes on for say 5 minutes. This should be set up so that you can adjust the time between air and how long the air lasts. While you are at it, it should measure outdoor ambient temp and adjust the desired water temp accordingly.

While we're on the subject of the EClass. . . one of Elliot Spits' contentions was that having the water up against the combustion chamber cools the fire, thus resulting in inefficiency. If only he'd known how to cool his fire. Anyway . . . is the water somehow remote on the EClass?

And more of a general question . . . HX is supposed to be quicker the greater the difference in temp . . . given that assumption, during summer DHW production only, doesn't it make sense to run the EClass as low as comfortably possible - with more frequent firings - for greater efficiency? i.e. minimize stand-by losses

Status
Not open for further replies.