East/West on Bottom? N/S on Top? (And pallet question)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
This is my chimney cap on the left. It looks really dark. Anything to be concerned about? It was put on in September. IMG_20181230_162303776.jpg

Been experimenting, trying to get something close to an overnight burn. If the air supply is at the top, would loading the stop with n/s splits at the bottom, and e/w at the top work better? I'm assuming wood burns slower from the "sides", rather than the ends...yes, no?

Also, I've got some pallets that were cut up and I've been adding a couple pcs per start up and re-load. On a re-load over coals, since it burns hotter, would it I want the pcs to go straight on the coals (with splits on top), or the pallet pcs on top with splits underneath? Goal is longer burns.

TIA :)
My experience with my stove is that an east west burns longer,that's my stove I would imagine some are different.

I appreciate all the feedback. Luckily my husband kept the pine in our backyard. Alot of people give it away for free, probably because they were concerned like me or they don't have a stove and just wanted it off their property. Good to hear it's OK to use it! Should the pine be mixed with other woods or can you use it by itself? It would be good to use when it gets warmer out and I just want to get the chill out of the house since it's a softwood and doesn't burn as long. Thanks again for all the help! Great forum!
I like to mix it. I accumulate too many coals if I burn all oak or other hardwood. But you'd be fine just burning pine only in a load.

FWIW - I use pine - as a pieces of kindling then a pine starter log and the once they get going, then I add in the hardwood for the rest of the burn. Works well for me and my stove. Oh yes, I would be remiss if I didn't mention Super Cedars s the fire starter (if I don't have hot coals to work with). I used to try to create my own tinder, but after hearing about Super Cedars on this forum and I'm glad I bought a box. 5-6 starts from one wafer and there's my process of getting a fire going. Getting the fire started used to be such a frustrating experience at times. Armed with a Super Cedar and dry wood, many problems (for me) are solved.

So much more to learn to get to the efficiencies that members say is possible with their wood and stove.

Reactions: deborita3
This is my chimney cap on the left. It looks really dark. Anything to be concerned about? It was put on in September.View attachment 238634

My chimney cap usually collects creosote like that too because it’s the coldest part of the chimney, you would have to look at the inside of the liner and see what that looks like.

My family burned mostly pine when I was growing up, we had very little money and pine was cheap and often free. We saved our hardwoods for overnight because they burned longer and slower.

Just be sure it’s dry and seasoned and you should be doing fine. Pine is great for quick hot fires, and it makes good kindling wood too.

This is my chimney cap on the left. It looks really dark. Anything to be concerned about? It was put on in September.View attachment 238634
Hard to tell from that distance but getting dark is normal, use binoculars if you cant climb up there and get a closer look.

Reactions: SpaceBus

Looks like you are actively burning in that photo as well. I wouldn't be concerned. On the next warm day you or your husband can look up the chimney with a mirror through the clean out. I use one of my wife's old compacts and it is perfect. If it's cloudy a bright flashlight can work.