Educating the roommates

bluedogz

Minister of Fire
Oct 9, 2011
NE Maryland
Been scrounging pretty effectively thriough my life transition... enough to know that a Prius can carry 1/4 cord before the dash display lights up saying "seriously?"

Spent a full weekend a month or so ago splitting a bunch of ash I scrounged up, and afterwards collected 3 HD buckets filled with what will become good kindling- no bark or chips, just little wedges of actual wood.

Last night noticed my buckets sitting empty in the garage.

Me: "Where'd all the kindling go?"
Roomie: "It was cold last week, and I burned it all."
Me: "All of it? Why didn't you use some of the (3-year-CSS) hickory?"
Roomie: "It wasn't THAT cold so I didn't want to use the big logs. Why are you hitting me?"

Last edited:

Applesister

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2012
Upstate NY
Looks like the roommate is gonna have kindling duty.
Id make them go collect pine cones or some other vastly tedious repetitive bending over chore.

Reactions: osagebow

Oldman47

Minister of Fire
Jan 19, 2015
Central Illinois
Hand your roommate a hatchet and those buckets and tell them to refill the kindling from some of your CSS wood.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
She better be cute... or wealthy.

Reactions: osagebow

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
With white ash and hatchet, its not that hard to make up some great kindling in a short period of time. With a froe its even faster. Burning wood is learning experience and given the word Prius was mentioned the stereotype of a Prius owner may not line up with wood burner (except in VT) :). You have to expect a learning curve and may need to label things as a reminder.

Reactions: STIHLY DAN

blades

Minister of Fire
Nov 23, 2008
WI, Leroy
Gonna take a lot more than labels!

Jon_E

Burning Hunk
Feb 24, 2014
SW VT
With white ash and hatchet, its not that hard to make up some great kindling in a short period of time. With a froe its even faster. Burning wood is learning experience and given the word Prius was mentioned the stereotype of a Prius owner may not line up with wood burner (except in VT) :). You have to expect a learning curve and may need to label things as a reminder.
Hey now, don't go labelling us Vermonters as Prius drivers! That's a wicked insult. Over here we all have Subarus.

Well, OK, I drive a Dodge Ram with a lift kit and oversize tires so that makes me a hick. And I am a tree hugger, but I'm actually measuring it to see if it will fit through the door of the wood boiler.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
Subaru is the VT state car but I sure see a fair share of Prions around the Mad River Valley, Montpelier and Stowe.

bluedogz

Minister of Fire
Oct 9, 2011
NE Maryland
Subaru is the VT state car but I sure see a fair share of Prions around the Mad River Valley, Montpelier and Stowe.
Do they use 'em for scrounging wood?

Jon_E

Burning Hunk
Feb 24, 2014
SW VT
Do they use 'em for scrounging wood?
No. They're all about solar and heat pumps and geothermal. Energy conservation, ya know. That whole area is filled with folks who aren't likely "Vermonters" and are a bit off-centre.

Reactions: STIHLY DAN

iamlucky13

Minister of Fire
Jan 27, 2015
Western Washington
They're understandably popular in states with mountains (we've got one), although I found it surprising when visiting Lafayette, IN where the factory is to notice that apparently even the workers there don't drive them. They were conspicuously absent from the roads.

I haven't seen how much wood I can fit in the Outback, because my wife would object.

However, I know that I can't fit anywhere near 1/4 cord in my Civic. I'm guessing it holds almost 1/10th of a cord in the trunk.