Electric bill

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gregbesia

Feeling the Heat
Jan 26, 2009
central CT
This my be posted in the wrong spot, sorry. I just received my recent electric bill from Connecticut Light and Power. $46.29 for 180 Kwh . Its funny how CLP is saying they only charge 11 cents per 1Kwh , but with all the extra charges, fees, etc. the real price is over 25 cents per Kwh. When oil was $ 140 per barrel electric prices were going up because "we need oil and natural gas to make electricity" , today oil is at $ 73 and CLP is asking for 5.5 % raise in prices. Just wondering, how much are you guys paying for electricity in different parts of the US , Canada . I mean , the real cost with all the fees. Thank You.

WOW I thought my electricity was high. 6.72 cents per kWh, actual with all the other BS charges is actually 12 cents per kWh. Last month i used 942 kWh and my bill was $112

In Ottawa (well outside Ottawa - "out in the country") our electric bill is anywhere between 125 -150 per month. We get dinged because we're considered "rural". It also depends on how much time I spend in the hot tub :)

Don't know how much I'm paying per kWh but my Dec. electric bill was almost $600!!! I had my Quadra fire installed within five days of that bill and haven't turned the furnace on since. My house is all electric and previously had an "all electric credit" but apparently they canceled that on me (without notice).

breezewood said:
Don't know how much I'm paying per kWh but my Dec. electric bill was almost $600!!! I had my Quadra fire installed within five days of that bill and haven't turned the furnace on since. My house is all electric and previously had an "all electric credit" but apparently they canceled that on me (without notice).

$600?!?

ohio woodburner said:
breezewood said:

$600?!?

I believe it. My house is all electric and if we didn't use a wood stove our bill would probably be $400 plus...easy. Electric heat can be very expensive. During the warmer months our bill is normally $125-$175.

When I lived in Hawaii I paid $0.29/kwh before fees. Just to run lights, stove, hot water heater was just over $100 a month. No dryer, no dishwasher, no a/c.

My house is all electric and my budget amount is 121.00 per month. However, this past bill was 191.00 and is the highest ever in 12 years. I still only had to pay the 121 but paid extra so they wouldn't get to far ahead. I usually owe about 40 bucks in July when it's time to settle up and start over. Hoping the insert will bring this down but probably won't get a good idea til next year.

The worst bill I have heard of is from a guy I work with that lives in the next county over. His last bill was over 800 dollars. If I opened one like that, I hope someone close knows CPR. That's ridiculous.

Rob

Mine just went up 40% From about 9c a KWH to About 13, So i changed my generating supplier and now it Should go down about 10-15% Normsl bill was $100 Month -Now $140.

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
When I lived in Hawaii I paid $0.29/kwh before fees. Just to run lights, stove, hot water heater was just over $100 a month. No dryer, no dishwasher, no a/c.
================
SO wheres all the Solar,geothermal and wind power. Seems like they should have a lot of those in Hawaii.

We are about $.095 per KWh here, without fees and taxes, about $.14 after. All electric, 2100sqft. Our reef tank was wiped out last January with the ice storm, as of yet we have not restarted it. It added about $20 to our bill monthly, but heating was far and away our biggest cost. During the heating months our bill would nearly triple to $300+ vs non-heating months and AC months run about $165. But we gots the wood heat now, and I can hardly wait to see what the first full month, and a full heating month does to the bill...

With everyone's piece of the pie factored in ours is around $0.145 per KWH. Which goes up naturally per KWH as usage goes down.

APR - OCT $0.0676/KWH

NOV - MAR $0.0652/KWH

Monthly facilities charge $9.75

Ya it was $600 in Dec. then I had the stove installed, and my Jan bill was down to $200 but that was with the first week still using the electric furnace than the last three weeks using the stove. I'm VERY happy I ponied up and made the investment, it will pay for itself very quickly. not to mention the tax credit I am supposed to get.

mine is $0.083620 per KWH,
and a 4.5% city tax on the dollar amount of electric I use

I am billed every 2 months, my Dec 4 - Feb 3 bill was $126

I thought that was kinda high, but than again we have 4 Televisions in the house, sometimes all on at the same time on the same channel (no sh!t) and I run a small electric oil filled radiator type heater in one of my rooms in the basement

Forced air furnace,clothes dryer, range/oven and BBQ are NG so that helps

We are around 6 cents per kwh where we live. Ironically I have a beautiful view of a coal fired power generating station 1 mile South of our house. On the same site is a NG fired set of turbines as well.

When the plant is running, which now due to the climate change plans and discussions isn't often, the steam can at times block out the sun. We often consider sending the power company a bill for our lost heat from our passive solar south window set up.

We are still a few days away from being able to fire up a long awaited wood stove install but believe you me I will be watching my bill like a hawk to see even the little bit of savings we are able to garner through the late winter/spring shoulder season.

With the combination of two teenagers showering (hot water tank is electric), heating two levels at 1400 square feet each, old windows, lights on everywhere, computers, tv, etc. etc. our power bill would make many of you cringe.

We are very much looking forward to becoming 24-7 burners next winter.

Colorado, Mountain View Electric co-op. 11.3 cents per kwh. tack on facilities charge (13.95), and franchise fee (5.58), my bill for 12/14 thru 1/12 was 12.6 cents per kwh. 192 dollars that "month". Boiler and dhw run on propane. If i ran the boiler, propane would be about 125 a month. 34 dollars for 6000 gallons of water.

My off-peak is .076 with all the charges factored in.
My peak is .159 with charges factored in.

My bill in Jan. was $113 for 896 kwh used. I usually avg. around this much throughout the year since I put the TVs on power strips and installed CFL bulbs...saved about $15-20/mo compared to what we paid when we first moved here.

Im installing an outside clothes line this summer...i want to see how much of a difference not using the dryer has.

We were home for 2 months (We're working on the road, so not home too often) and mainly heat the whole house (2000 sqft 2 stories + basement) with the wood stove. Everything else is electric (Range, oven, water heater, lights....). So here's from Nov 21 to Jan 22. So when adding the taxes and the fee it's approx 0.08181$ / Kwh.

Daily fee: 62 days x 0,4064 $ 25,20 $
Consommation (For 62 days): 2 610 kWh
The first 30 kWh per days 1 860 kWh x 0,0545 $ 101,37 $
Excessive consommation: 750 kWh x 0,0746 $ 55,95 $
Plus all the according taxes (provincial & federal) and fees: 213,53 $

In Central Mass we pay about 15.5 cents per KWH...this includes supplier, delivery and all the other bs charges

ilikewood said:
In Central Mass we pay about 15.5 cents per KWH...this includes supplier, delivery and all the other bs charges

On Long Island, is about 20.2 cents /KWH with all their B.S. and stuff. $480.01 for 2373 KWH

EDIT - "actual" readings on a 63 day billing cycle.

Wow, I average about 450 kw/month

Status
Not open for further replies.