Electric power washer?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Even the Chinese predator “junk” is at least as good as the golden standard Honda. Everybody is making pretty dang good stuff these days.
I've had better luck with the HF Pred engines than the Honda's.

Reactions: Highbeam
Anyone have a update or anything to add to this thread while I do final research and buy an electric power washer? Thanks in advance.
Certainly. buy a gas one and don't look back.

Anyone have a update or anything to add to this thread while I do final research and buy an electric power washer? Thanks in advance.
Make sure and get a rotating turbo nozzle like the one below. They can really speed up certain cleaning tasks.
1591444831617.png

Whatever you get, electric or gas, besides the turbo nozzle, I'd suggest a Foam Cannon. I was a doubting Thomas until I got one. Makes wash the cars and trucks and farm equipment much easier, It takes washing detergent (I use 'Chemical Guys' car was concentrate and turns it into a thick foam (similar to a firefighters foam nozzle used on airplane fires). You foam the vehicle and switch to a regular nozzle and wash of the foam and dirt, works fantastic, I recommend it and they are cheap.

... After owning gas powered ones, electric ones, good ones, cheap ones over the years i bought a ryobi electric last spring. Unless your sandblasting a bridge i never need the super high pressure ... The ryobi works great and got a super deal on an open box model. All depends what you need it for ...

Thanks. I just ordered a portable Ryobi after researching and considering my use. I just want it to clean the stained deck and porch here before restaining. Also wanted a unit easily portable in my Ford Escape to OBX. I need to wash a small concrete pad area under the house and the second level deck and stairs that weren't replaced a couple of years ago when we had the other decks and stairs replaced. Thanks again. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Seasoned Oak
Make sure and get a rotating turbo nozzle like the one below. They can really speed up certain cleaning tasks.

Thanks. Description and video states that it comes with one.

... Whatever you get, electric or gas, besides the turbo nozzle, I'd suggest a Foam Cannon. I was a doubting Thomas until I got one. Makes wash the cars and trucks and farm equipment much easier ...

Thanks. I'll look into it. I wash our cars with a car wash brush on a pole. The kind that folks use on motor homes.

... Certainly. buy a gas one and don't look back ...

Thanks. Small and portable was something I wanted, as I want to take it to OBX in a CUV when I go by myself for spring cleaning. Want to use it to clean the decks and a concrete pad.

Interestingly, the company that manufactures the plastic deck furniture we have outside (C R Plastic Products) now states to avoid power washers for cleaning. It can feather the surface and will trap dirt. Before they just said to keep the nozzle away from the furniture.

Thanks. I just ordered a portable Ryobi after researching and considering my use. . :)
Iv found that even with electric ones you have to be careful of getting too close to yur car. Also make sure there isnt any sand or other abrasives on the car that can act as sandblast media when hit by a pressure water stream. I first use just hose pressure to get the dirt off. Good luck and keep it inside the first sign of freezing weather so it dont freeze and bust. Nice thing about these is they are relatively light weight.

I don't think I'm going to use it for cars for that very reason. Roads here are heavily salted and sanded in winter, though my town has switched to beet juice.

I like a car-washing brush on a pole that is used for motor homes and detergent in a bucket large enough to fit the brush and shake off grit. Can wash our cars very quickly that way that I don't see any advantage to using a pressure washer.

My try the pressure washer to clean the wheels twice a year when I switch between all-seasons and dedicated winter tires/wheels. I wash, bug and tar remover, and wax the wheels when I take them off.

Reactions: Seasoned Oak
Anybody ever buy a pressure washer to use from a tank, only to find out it won't work because it needs pressurized water feed? Like, way more pressure than the head of a big tank will give you.

Anybody ever buy a pressure washer to use from a tank, only to find out it won't work because it needs pressurized water feed? Like, way more pressure than the head of a big tank will give you.

More than likely there is a backflow preventer (think check valve) at or near the pressure washer inlet that requires more pressure than a gravity system can provide.

My K'Archer claims that it will work from a pond or tank, but I haven't tried it. And, no mention of how high it can draw. I use it with a garden hose exclusively.