Electric wood splitters?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcus

Feb 11, 2006
Ohio
Does any one have experience/ reccomendations for electric wood splitters. I have problems with my wrists so I can't split by hand and don't want to mess with a gas powered model. The 6 Ton DR model seems to be the heavisest duty electric out there. Has anyone used these? Thanks!

search for ryobi at home depot. About 400 if I remember correctly, and is a workhorse. Ask Elk, he has one.

Joshua

Bought the Ryobi RY49701 electric splitter from Home Depot early last summer.

Found it worked very well on beech, hard maple and, of course, all softwoods.
I found the machine easily handled 16" logs up to 12 inches in diameter.
Of the hundreds and hundreds split the machine balked at only two logs.
Both very knotty beech.

Highly recommend it.

Omega splitters I would not do business with that person eventhough he has a 9 ton splitter. Any questions just review his payment methods. Don't even think about service and returns he claims all returns are damaged and its up to the carriers insurance to make good.
Dr splitter for 6 tons are not bad. Will do a decent job on straight grain oak maple ect will not split 8" elm or larger not bad.
the problem with these Cheaper all in one units all made in China is not too much hydraulic capacity. Of the best 4 ton hands down Ryobi home depot 2 year warranty $299
But there is another Electric splitter
I have A 12 now 16 ton electric splitter Power requirements 20 amp circuit operating at close to 3000 PSI
Like with any tool, one should learn how to use it and know it’s limitations. If one knows the log will be problematic, why force something. I just cut it up with a chain saw. This splitter will take up to 24” wide by 20” long. Quite amazing what it will split. It has split everything I have feed it. Yeah it may have kicked down but keeps on going. So far split over 3 cords since Mid OCT. Right now it is located 200’ from the 20 amp plug and works fine. I have had it up to 250’ away and it works fine. This is not one of those Omega or DR splitters, but a real splitter with Barns hydro pump. The Electric motor can be swapped with up to a Honda 5.5hp gas motor. Swap time about 10 minutes. It is so quiet, nobody in the neighborhood knows you are splitting wood Throw the switch and split. Not using it, switch it off no need to keep it running, like the gas splitters. I believe the most powerfull electric splitter in the market place today
I have boosted up to 16 tons

Link with picture and full specs previously in the gear section
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/150/

Thanks for the info. I'm leaning towards the heavy duty foot powered hydraulic splitter as the ryobi might not handle some of the really thick logs we have.

I have the same electric Ryobi wood splitter--got it at Home Depot and paid around $300. I burn mostly oak and some hickory. It won't handle some of the hickory, especially large pieces, but it splits 85% of what I use. I recommend it.

I have the Ryobi and cannot complain. For me, splitting fallen trees in the woods behind the house, it works great. Another choice is the 4 ton Fisch Amazon sells for about $400. Read the reviews there, most purchasers are happy and some of the reviewers give good tips, the one about spraying Pam on the wedge to increase splitting power really works.

Ryobi Advantages
1. splits up to 20" not 14.5 like a lot of 4 ton splitters
2. Backed by home Depot money back policy up to 90 days
3. Made by a major Manufacturer
4. 2 year warranty
5. Repair service centers and parts available
6. No high extra shipping cost added on.
7. Does a decent job within its limitations (only 4 Tons)
8. Actually fairly fast cycling.
9. light enough to go anywhere Wheels too small could use larger wheels
10. Will work on 15 amps but would trade that option for more power say 8 tons

Status
Not open for further replies.