Englander nc30 and burning unseasoned wood. Tips and hints needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

freddy4play

Feb 18, 2013
Just got my Englander nc30 finally installed and have been burning for about two weeks. Unfortunately, I didnt find this forum until too late so I was only able to get about 5 months of seasoning into my wood. I did manage to get about 4 full cords cut, split, stacked and covered on top with a tarp, so I should have some decent seasoned wood for next year, but this year is going to be a struggle. Anyway, I am burning unseasoned 5 month old ash. I also have some unseasoned silver maple (3 months) and siberian elm I grabbed from the west side of town as well. I know the best thing to do is to season all wood for a couple years, and I plan on getting a full 8 cords in the spring, but right now I am SOL. Any hints on how to struggle through the heating season this year and what I should be doing as far as cleaning to maintain a safe stove? I boutht some granular rutland creosote romover but have not used it yet and thought I would get some advice on that before I go doing something stupid. My home is in madison wi and a 1200 sq ft open floor plan ranch home.

1497684_10153736834045523_691308118_n.jpg

What's going on with your stove collar? Is that bare metal, caulk?

Same as with any stove, split the wood smaller and burn with more air. Non-cats are quite effective at pushing through wet wood and making heat, just less heat.

What's going on with your stove collar? Is that bare metal, caulk?

Same as with any stove, split the wood smaller and burn with more air. Non-cats are quite effective at pushing through wet wood and making heat, just less heat.

That is from the first idiot I hired who claimed he had experience installing would stoves. I found out after two days that he actually had never done one in his life. He left a ring of caulk around the rim that I havent had a chance to clean off yet. I was sort of hoping it would burn off. Anyways, I got someone who knew what they were doing and all is well.

Scrounge pallets if possible, cut 'em up and mix with your iffy wood.

Can you bring a good supply of wood in doors (a dry environment), place a fan n front and let blow across it for a week or so? If possible even throw a dehumidifier into the mix? I've found a noticeable difference after a week or so of this.

Ash is thought to be a fast drier.

Scrounge pallets if possible, cut 'em up and mix with your iffy wood.

Can you bring a good supply of wood in doors (a dry environment), place a fan n front and let blow across it for a week or so? If possible even throw a dehumidifier into the mix? I've found a noticeable difference after a week or so of this.

Ash is thought to be a fast drier.
what about the nails?

Nails wont hurt the stove - just car tires if you throw the ash in your driveway. A magnet run through them will pick up steel if necessary or just dispose the ash with the nails in mind some place they will not rear their ugly head later.

Flue/chimney maintenance is critical for safe burning of high moisture wood so at least a monthly inspection is advised. This is a good practice for the first year or two with any new stove regardless of wood quality until you know what is going on up there. After that - let er' rip and clean it in the spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.