Englanders in New York: Allowed? UL?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mudr

Jan 7, 2013
Hi guys and gals,
I've got a NC 30 sitting on my new hearth setup (complete with 1.5 R value and correct clearances) and have someone stopping out to give me a quote on installing the class A for me. When I talked to the person on the phone, she asked what brand it was and instantly became worried and warned me that she may not be able to install it for us. She said that *some* englanders are "not approved in NY", lacked a UL listing, and they would not be allowed to install it for us. She did say they can install all the pipes, but would leave the final connection to the stove to us (avoiding liability). That wouldn't be a big deal, but has anyone heard of this?

That is exactly what I said to her. She was still very apprehensive regarding the brand. I'm wondering if she was blowing smoke because she was upset that I bought a stove from Depot and not them....

Not an issue. She was probably thinking of the Englander 12FP. You are fine.

Show them the UL listing in the owner's manual.

Reactions: PapaDave
Probably thinking Home Depot = cheapo box wood stove from China. Your 30NC is a solid, tested stove approved for install across the country, even in finicky WA state.

This tag is on the back of your stove stating its UL1482.

upload_2013-9-6_15-2-32.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone,
Yup. I told them it's UL listed over the phone. Multiple times. She was hesitant nonetheless.

Progress since I posted: The estimate guy just left after building the quote. He didn't make any comments regarding the Englander install. I'm just assuming it was the shop person being extra cautious and not wanting to make any promises. I can understand that to an extent.

Oye. Class A ain't cheap, but then again neither is a housefire...

Maybe this is a sign telling you to find a better installer.....

Reactions: MishMouse
I've got a 13, not a problem.

Reactions: stoveguy2esw
every wood gas or pellet stove we produce (and every one produced in my 20 years working for the company) has been UL listed

methinks your installer is confused. we have in the past manufactured "epa exempt" woodstoves which may not be allowable in new installs in some parts of the country. but that has nothing to do with UL. our wood furnace falls under this category, but its UL listed even though its EPA exempt.

hope this eases any trepidation about our product line

Reactions: pen
Quite possibly, the person on the other end of the phone was not knowledgeable enough to answer your questions. I run into that a lot dealing with m customer service side of the business.

Haha, I just got off the phone with them again to schedule the install. I asked if they can install a flue damper (I didn't mention this during the visit) as our stove at our previous house was a bear to control in high draft conditions. I was told "we may not be able to, we are not allowed to put a damper in some of the newer stoves on the market and in some of the englander models, but we will check on it for you in the mean time".

Ha.

:rolleyes:

Paging Mike to the front desk. Give a call to Englander support and get the response in email form.

Status
Not open for further replies.