Every little bit helps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

timusp40

Feeling the Heat
Feb 3, 2010
Lake Orion, Michigan
Got some oak this morning. Not a whole lot, but scroungers take what they can get.
Tim
DSCF3007.JPG

That's gotta be almost a third of a cord I would think. That ain't chopped liver, and it's good wood too! :cool:

Reactions: Realstone
I would not be disappointed with that haul...did you cut it yourself, or was it a roadside trim up?

I would not be disappointed with that haul...did you cut it yourself, or was it a roadside trim up?
Firebroad,
Tree service freebie!! I had to drive to the site to pick it up and cut to length at home. Still blows my mind that people just give it away.
Tim

Shhhhhhh! Don't say that so loud! They might hear you and get the idea to charge you!:eek:

Nice scrounge! On a related topic, what do you guys do with utility company trimmings on property where there is no obvious owner? There's a creek on a road I drive pretty regularly, with a lot of similarly downed trees, thanks to the utility company. On the far side of the creek is a big farm, and I suppose they may own up to the road, but not sure. Not even sure how to get back to the farm, with so many bridges permanently closed in this area. Never seen anyone out there doing any maintenance, etc.

Seems to me, if the wood's been sitting there a year, it's likely free for the taking. Still, I'm used to having someone to ask before grabbing.

Tim, that will keep you warm for several nights. Good wood.

Joful, I'd really hate to take wood that is not mine unless I first knew who it belonged to and if it was there for the taking.

Joful,
Might be as easy as a call to the utility company to find out what the deal is. Check this out. I watched to county road commision cut down a huge old oak the other day. When I approached them about taking some of it, the reply was "No, we are not allowed to give it away due to liability". Makes me wonder where that prime hardwwood will wind up going to.

Thanks for the thoughts guys,
Tim

Take it as it comes and enjoy! Looks premium

pen

I would call that a decent score. The wall of wood in the background looks to go off a very long way into the distance. Nice collection you got there. How many cords in the picture?

Id take all I can fit, you guys with these large yards and cords upon cords make me jealous, I think 11 maybe 12 cords would be the max I could fit on my property.

Joful,
Might be as easy as a call to the utility company to find out what the deal is. Check this out. I watched to county road commision cut down a huge old oak the other day. When I approached them about taking some of it, the reply was "No, we are not allowed to give it away due to liability". Makes me wonder where that prime hardwwood will wind up going to.

Thanks for the thoughts guys,
Tim
I have a client that is a tree company...I was at there office and guess what...all the workers have wood burning stoves or fireplaces...there customers pay them to take the trees and the company doesn't pay to dump it because the employees are taking the wood...win/win

Got some oak this morning. Not a whole lot, but scroungers take what they can get.
Tim

Lots of BTUs in a score that size.
Nice sized rounds, gonna make some nice looking splits.
Keep adding it up :)

Glad you got the score. As I said in another post, around here $$ is king. People will not give wood away--they will, however sell it to you. Tree trimmings will sit and rot before it is given away. Unless you know the person, chances are the prop owner will want money.

I would call that a decent score. The wall of wood in the background looks to go off a very long way into the distance. Nice collection you got there. How many cords in the picture?
Gark,
Total is only around 8 cords. Most of it is less than a year CCS though. So it will be sitting there for quite a while before it ever sees a wood stove. But that's OK since I don't have one yet anyhow!!!
Tim

Gark,
Total is only around 8 cords. Most of it is less than a year CCS though. So it will be sitting there for quite a while before it ever sees a wood stove. But that's OK since I don't have one yet anyhow!!!
Tim

:eek: Wow! And I thought I was ahead with 4 cords. And I have a stove!! Good for ya, Tim!!!

1. Free . . . except for a bit of gas, time and effort

2. Oak . . . enough said

3. Looks like it may have been a pick up load . . . not a bad haul in my book . . . especially when you consider Point #1 and Point #2

Glad you got the score. As I said in another post, around here $$ is king. People will not give wood away--they will, however sell it to you. Tree trimmings will sit and rot before it is given away. Unless you know the person, chances are the prop owner will want money.
Not my experience at all. Every time I've ever stopped and asked someone for wood, unless they plan to use it themselves, they've been happy to have me cart it away for them. I've actually had people stop on the side of the road while I'm picking up one scrounge to ask me if I could come get some wood off their property, as well!

I like getting small scrounges like that - not a lot of time to collect or process. If I could collect all of my wood in small increments during the fall/winter/spring I think I would.....never ends up seeming like a huge task. Cheers!

Not my experience at all. Every time I've ever stopped and asked someone for wood, unless they plan to use it themselves, they've been happy to have me cart it away for them. I've actually had people stop on the side of the road while I'm picking up one scrounge to ask me if I could come get some wood off their property, as well!

Around here its about 80-20 with the 80% not giving wood away, you have to jump on a scroun e if you find one or you miss out. What cracks me up are the people that have a tree service cut some trees down then they ask $200 a cord for the rounds sitting in their yard.

Status
Not open for further replies.