exhaust blower won't come on

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

uncle greg

Jan 2, 2017
california
I have a quad-ra fire 1200 i insert, 2002.
when I turn on the stove ( by turning up the thermostat, or pluging it in at this point ) the call light comes on but the exhaust fan doesn't start. The fan runs (when hooked directly to 120 volts). The auger motor runs when I jump the vacuum switch. and the other fan works when I jump the snap connector (Purple wires), I think its the #1). The only thing I found that seemed in need of repair was the vacuum line which was plugged. And there was too soot in the trap door where the exhaust fan is.
I can make the stove run by jumping the snap connector for the convection blower and then jumping the connectors for the vacuum switch and directly connecting the exhaust fan to power (on a separate plug). But other wise that fan won't come on.

Disconnect the thermostat. Plug in stove. Does combustion fan come on? If not replace snap disk or test control box.

Reactions: kappel15
Disconnect the thermostat. Plug in stove. Does combustion fan come on? If not replace snap disk or test control box.
Thank you,
when I get home from work I will try it. Which snap disk? I have found 3. One with purple wires to it which seems to be for the convection fan, one on the cover for the auger, and one that connects 2 yellow wires. Can I test if its bad by putting a jumper between them?? I tried jumping them before and the only one that had a note able effect was the one for the convection fan.

Thank you,
when I get home from work I will try it. Which snap disk? I have found 3. One with purple wires to it which seems to be for the convection fan, one on the cover for the auger, and one that connects 2 yellow wires. Can I test if its bad by putting a jumper between them?? I tried jumping them before and the only one that had a note able effect was the one for the convection fan.
di
I tried disconnecting the thermostat but it didn't work. I tried jumping all 3 snap disks and it exhaust fan still didn't come. I just got some feed back that the fan may run with 120 volts but that the unit only sends 70 volts to it so it could be a bad fan??
Does any one know about that. I don't want to spend the $ on a fan and have it not work.
As I'm writing this I just thought of the obvious answer which is to put a voltage tester on the input to the fan and see if its sending 70 volts. Now I have to wait till I get home from work to try it.

di
I tried disconnecting the thermostat but it didn't work. I tried jumping all 3 snap disks and it exhaust fan still didn't come. I just got some feed back that the fan may run with 120 volts but that the unit only sends 70 volts to it so it could be a bad fan??
Does any one know about that. I don't want to spend the $ on a fan and have it not work.
As I'm writing this I just thought of the obvious answer which is to put a voltage tester on the input to the fan and see if its sending 70 volts. Now I have to wait till I get home from work to try it.

Not so sure about the "unit" only sending 70 volts. If the fan will work wire direct to a 120 volt source then it should work in the stove if there is voltage to the fan. I assumed you checked that. It is possible the control box has a transformer that is on its way out. Not sure on that as I have never opened one up. Whatever you do, make sure you unplug the stove before messing with it. Especially the control box. Is the control box on your stove clear or the older style? Maybe you could find a dealer in your area that well let you test your control box in their stove if it is the newer style.

Reactions: kappel15
Not so sure about the "unit" only sending 70 volts. If the fan will work wire direct to a 120 volt source then it should work in the stove if there is voltage to the fan. I assumed you checked that. It is possible the control box has a transformer that is on its way out. Not sure on that as I have never opened one up. Whatever you do, make sure you unplug the stove before messing with it. Especially the control box. Is the control box on your stove clear or the older style? Maybe you could find a dealer in your area that well let you test your control box in their stove if it is the newer style.

well, there is no voltage going to the fan so the 70 volt thing doesn't matter after all. I'm guessing the "control box" is the box with the red and green lights on top of it. Its not clear, its grey. I called to local shop (which is about 40 minutes away) and it doesn't sound like they do any repairs. They gave me the # of a stove repair company that they say is good. I hate not being able to fix something, especially when I have already spent a fair amount of time trying, not to mention the $$. I imagine buying the control box through them will be more too, but I can't think of anything else to try and we use the stove to heat the house. I guess the stove repair people have to make a living too. If you got any more ideas to try let me know. Thank you for taking the time and trying to help!
uncle greg

Do you know anyone with a Quad stove that you can try your box in? That is an older control box you have. One thing you can try is to unplug stove, pull and re-seat control box to make sure it is set properly. Then plug stove back in and see if fan runs. kap

Reactions: mralias